Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    THat is pretty darn funny!
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    That's indeed funny, its not a beauty but a Mickey dish. I have a 30cm beauty dish as well , but always use the honeycomb grid with it. It directs the light a bit better and makes it a bit less harsh. Keeping the distance and angle is the trick so you get nice catchlights. But I am sure you now this better then I do.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited September 1, 2012
    Looks fine to me. What needs fixing?

EDIT: OK, I should have noticed earlier that she's clutching he throat and that doesn't seem fitting for a womanly pose. Or am I wrong?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 1, 2012
    THat is pretty darn funny!

Maybe to you, but I've got to deliver these pictures! :uhoh rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    That's indeed funny, its not a beauty but a Mickey dish. I have a 30cm beauty dish as well , but always use the honeycomb grid with it. It directs the light a bit better and makes it a bit less harsh. Keeping the distance and angle is the trick so you get nice catchlights. But I am sure you now this better then I do.
    Well it better be a beauty dish because that's what Paul Buff said it was. You telling me they slipped me a mickey? eek7.gif

But seriously, this was really my first shoot with it and I'm a complete novice. So any tips are great. I've read that grids are important other places as well, so I'll pick some up. Funny, they cost more than the dish itself. Angle I've read should be around 45 degrees which is what I used. Distance was pretty close and I got some smooth light, maybe too much so. What distance do you recommend? It's a 22" dish. Thanks!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    And here I thought eyes were supposed to be the main focal point on head shots.

Thanks for posting as this is a great way to learn something new and follow along.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I have lost some decent shots because of glasses lol. But I do love the eye catch light from a dish.
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    Not trying to be mean, but I thought this was a joke shot as well.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    Yes, of course it was meant as a joke, and funny reflections were done on purpose. The beauty dish is new to me however. Here are some other shots from the shoot.

IMG8234-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

IMG8259-Edit-X2.jpg

IMG8386-Edit-X2.jpg

Sorry about the double watermarks.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Yes, of course it was meant as a joke, and funny reflections were done on purpose. The beauty dish is new to me however. Here are some other shots from the shoot.

Sorry about the double watermarks.

Second shot over the shoulder is divine Joel!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    Very nice. Like 1 and 2. May I ask about the background. Is that grey background?

Thanks, Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    Very nice. Like 1 and 2. May I ask about the background. Is that grey background?

Thanks, Phil

Phil, $3 say's it's white!
    tom wise
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I'm with Tom. That's a white BG.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    BTW, good work. The 1st shot in the second batch... watch the eyes. I think the dish is a bit too high so the brow is casting a bit too much shadow on the eyes.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I too really like the over the shoulder shot!

Out of curiosity, what was the deciding factor for the purchase of a beauty dish vs. a soft box of a similar size?
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    BTW, good work. The 1st shot in the second batch... watch the eyes. I think the dish is a bit too high so the brow is casting a bit too much shadow on the eyes.

My exact thoughts. Though if you wanted to portray a 'darker_____'(fill in the blank) then , well done too!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Second shot over the shoulder is divine Joel!
    Thanks, Tom. We worked that one for a while until we got what we wanted. Definitely a favorite from the shoot.

Thanks, Phil
    Thanks, Phil! See below.
    Phil, $3 say's it's white!
    I'm with Tom. That's a white BG.

Sorry guys. Pay Phil $3 each and don't pass go. :giggle Out of fairness, I threw you a curve here. The first two are thunder-gray. I switched to a white background later when that third shot was taken. All the shots have varying degrees of background lighting so pretty much impossible to tell which is which just by looking.
    Thanks, Alex. Yeah, I think I overdid it on the shadowing. I used 45 degrees as recommended by Scott Kelby and regret not trying other angles now. Fortunately they respond quite well to lifting the shadows a bit.
    I too really like the over the shoulder shot!

Out of curiosity, what was the deciding factor for the purchase of a beauty dish vs. a soft box of a similar size?
    Thanks, Bryce. I have a smallish octabox but wanted to experiment with better contouring using the beauty dish. I am discovered it's a much higher learning curve than a softbox for this reason.
    My exact thoughts. Though if you wanted to portray a 'darker_____'(fill in the blank) then , well done too!
    Yeah, it's not a bug is a feature! I like the eye shadowing on some shots, but not so much the others. A better reflector might have helped here too. Live and learn. The BD is definitely something that's gonna take a lot of time to master.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    How's this?

IMG8345-Edit-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    How's this?

I like!

Phil, you win!:D How would you like that $3?

Joel, very lovely Model to try out this BD with, great work!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    I like!

Thanks for the offer - how about B&Hphoto discount? Wait - I can't afford to buy anything right now anyway. Good fun!

I only asked about the background because I am such a rookie with studio portraits.

No training in the area and can't seem to find a really good book or website on it.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    good stuff
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    I use a white beauty dish with no diffusion sock about three feet away from the model for beauty shots. I like to add gridded strip domes for kickers - seems to work well with the beauty dish. Looks like from that first shot you might be a little close?

Just a suggestion - and trust me, I haven't always followed this advice myself. But if you're going to experiment with new gear on a paid client shoot, wait until the end, tell them, and offer to shoot it some test shots for free. If they like them, it's a bonus. If they don't, nothing lost for you. Just an idea anyway. I got the Paul C Buff parabolic umbrella and did a catalog shoot with it for a client once and I messed that one up big time!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited September 3, 2012
    Thanks for the offer - how about B&Hphoto discount? Wait - I can't afford to buy anything right now anyway. Good fun!

I only asked about the background because I am such a rookie with studio portraits.

No training in the area and can't seem to find a really good book or website on it.

Phil

Ah thanks for cutting me slack.

On the portraits, what is it exactly that you cannot seem to find help with. What component part of portrait work is buggin you?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2012
    I like!

Thanks very much, Tom.
    coolpinsky wrote: »
    good stuff
    Thanks!
    dogwood wrote: »
    I use a white beauty dish with no diffusion sock about three feet away from the model for beauty shots. I like to add gridded strip domes for kickers - seems to work well with the beauty dish. Looks like from that first shot you might be a little close?

Just a suggestion - and trust me, I haven't always followed this advice myself. But if you're going to experiment with new gear on a paid client shoot, wait until the end, tell them, and offer to shoot it some test shots for free. If they like them, it's a bonus. If they don't, nothing lost for you. Just an idea anyway. I got the Paul C Buff parabolic umbrella and did a catalog shoot with it for a client once and I messed that one up big time!

He Pete, thanks so much for the info. Your suggestions are invaluable to me at this stage. The beauty dish is white and I did use the diffusion sock for this. Plus I indeed had it quite close, maybe 18"? Are you judging this by the softness of the shadows, or something else? I'll try further away next time.

When you said "gridded strip dome", did you mean gridded strip box? I definitely need something else, either a 3-section or parabolic reflector, or more lights. So I'm very open to your suggestions.

This was just a TFCD shoot, but I still like to do my best on them. I think we got some OK shots, but I still have lots of room for improvement. The BD is definitely a powerful tool with a high learning curve. I also recently got an 86" PLM which I used on a previous shoot (see my "Teaser" thread), and that went so well that I guess I got cocky on this shoot. The model is happy, but I do wish I could have done better for her.

Thanks again for checking in. I really appreciate it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2012
    Just processed another one from this shoot.

IMG8328-Edit3-X2.jpg
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    I really like the light on the tight headshot, very nice!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Good stuff love that first one.
    On girls that don't have great skin use a bit less extreme angle...then every little imperfection won't pop out.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I really like the light on the tight headshot, very nice!
    Thanks!
    zoomer wrote: »
    Good stuff love that first one.
    On girls that don't have great skin use a bit less extreme angle...then every little imperfection won't pop out.
    Thanks, Zoomer. As I'm going through the rest of shoot I'm seeing how right you are. nod.gif
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Love the over the shoulder and this last one.

You may cost me a beauty dish this winter.mwink.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Try the dish head on and right above the lens and I mean almost hitting the lens. See if you like that light.