Options

tips for using reflectors?

supermarvin76supermarvin76 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited September 23, 2012 in Technique
I usually shoot fill flash and shoot a few hours before sunset. However, I have been seeing more and more simply using reflectors, and am thinking of giving it a try.

I have a big double sided (white on one side and "gold" on the other) about 6' x 3' collapsable reflector, and one a small circular one about 18" - 24" or so around.

I am looking for tips with using these. I will plan to shoot a little later in the day.

How close to the model should the reflectors be? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" -Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    I just assisted a Photo student in a portrait shoot 2 weekends ago....
    Had a 42 inch 5n1 reflector...satarted off with the silver one, I did not
    like the overly bright look of the set up...so switched to white...still too bright....
    Gold...hyst brightened up the subject nd brought a little light under her hat so
    you could see her eyes...also did a few completely lighting the subject...
    The 42 inch relector used flat ould light the whole scene from about 15 feet...

if I wanted to just direct a small amount of light I would fold the reflector to create
    a beam to put the light where I wanted it....or to be really correct....where the
    photog wanted it......I really prefer using gold for any type of reflective photography...
    reflectors or bounce umbrellas...I like white only for shoot thru umbrellas...

hope this helps some at least.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website