Options

Lightroom Question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 30, 2012 in Finishing School
If I export dng (format shouldn't matter) images from LR4 to an external hard drive and give them to another photographer and he imports the images (copy) to his LR4 will the LR adjustments follow?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 26, 2012
    Good question, Sam, I have no idea.

I do know that you would need to hit command-S to save your metadata edits to the DNG prior to exporting if they are to go along with the DNG exported, but I have never actually tried this. I suspect if the metadata is saved to the DNG prior to being exported, that the new exported DNG should then have the saved editing steps within its metadata, and they should display in the other person's LR4. But this is just a guess, Sam, as I said.

I wonder how many folks know that they MUST save their metadata editing steps to their DNGs ( or XMP files ) with the Command-S step. Otherwise the metadata is still just saved within the Catalog file, and not the DNG.

One can save all their editing steps for all their files in the Library module, by hitting Command-A, Command-S - but be aware, if you have lots of files, this is going to take minutes to several hours to finish. I just did mine the other day, and with 46,000 files in my Library, it took almost 2 hours to write all the data to my DNGs.. Also when you go to back up your external hard drive holding your image files, the back up copy takes quite a while also, as each and every DNG file has to be updated. It took over 3 hours for Super-Duper to smart-update my image file back up disk yesterday.

I usually just save the metadata to a limited # of files that I am currently working on, but yesterday decided to make sure everything was up to date - good to do, but took quite a while on my quad core PowerMac with tons of RAM and eSata wired external drives.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    If I export dng (format shouldn't matter) images from LR4 to an external hard drive and give them to another photographer and he imports the images (copy) to his LR4 will the LR adjustments follow?

Sam
    why would version4 differ from version3 ?
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=200578&highlight=export

as long as the other person has same version as you it should work normally
  • Options
    I see we've had this discussion previously......

• Options
    :bash:bash:bash:bash:bwg:bwg

Sorry..................sometimes I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.....or if I had breakfast.

Little convoluted but it works. I just tried it and needed to export images to a new folder then copy that folder to the external drive. Then delete the folder i just moved the images to on my computer. No way to export direct to the external drive.

Sam
  • Options
    No worries mate, I didn't remember this discussion either until Bas gave us the link to our older thread.

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Still glad you asked. I wasn't aware that the meta-data remained in the catalog until formally copied.... So something learned...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Andrew, I think that the metadata is stored in the image file and not the catalog ONLY after expressly saving it is not well known. It is important to save the metadata, so that if the catalog is lost for some reason the editing work remains safe in the image files - either DNG or XMP files.

I think there is a way to have it saved as you work along in Preferences, but it slows down your PC considerably, so the default setting is only to save when commanded, not routinely as you work.

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2012
    Would be nice to have an option to ask at shutdown (like the option to backup the catalog).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    No way to export direct to the external drive.

Sam
    thats strange
    if the drive has a drive-letter it should work

go to export
    on top , export to ; hard drive should be selected

export location > export to ; specific folder
    hit "choose" button
    now you can select the drive , and folder , or create a new folder

note that your last / previous export is remembered and thus selected
    this also goes for the rest of the settings
    change as required , then export ( button )
  • Options
    UPDATE!!!

If you use the "command + s" keys this will save the metadata and Lightroom changes in a dng file. Then you can copy, share the file from your file management tools and when imported into LR on another computer all the adjustments will be there.

I don't know if this works with the propitiatory raw formats from the camera manufacturers.

The history won't follow but the adjustments will. If you use the "export catalog" process the history will be maintained. NOTE: I haven't figured out how to do this yet, but it isn't needed for my current needs.

YEAH!!

This eliminates the convoluted method of exporting from LR to a new folder, copying that folder to an external HD, then going back and deleting the folder the images were exported to.

Sam

EDIT!!! basfit.....................your right!!! This is exactly what I was looking for to begin with!!

I can export all the images from the shoot and the ones I processes or rated will carry those adjustments along with the files, and the other files will go as shot.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    Sam, just curious, how are you mass exporting to a specific folder? I have been trying to figure out a fast way to export all images in a single folder, not into the original folder, all images lined up on the bottom LR browser window, to another folder. En mass. I know how to pick and choose individual exports, or even hold the control key (windows pc) to multi select, but to do them all at once, edited and non edited?? I have right clicked and looked for a select all/ deselect all key/ window, but no luck. I know you're on a Mac, but the process inside LR should be the same? Thanks beforehand to whoever.
  • Options
    CTRL-A selects all the images in a given folder (if you are in the Library module)

Ctrl-D deselects them

• Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    Awesome, TY. I knew it was something simple lol. I've been forcing myself to use more and more keyboard shortcuts, guess I missed that one.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2012
    Keyboard shortcuts are a real pain to learn, but are also the real key to rapid use of Photoshop and Lightroom.

If you watch videos of real editing pros, they all use keyboard shortcuts all the time.

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2012

IF you save the XMP yes. You should force the issue (a full update of the DNG) including an embedded JEPG, DNG profile etc by using the Update DNG Preview & Metadata command. And yes, the format matters if your intent is to send a raw file. You can save a rendered image off as a DNG, it ain't raw.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/