Options

Lighter Weight Camera?

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
edited November 8, 2012 in Cameras
I am very happy with my Canon 7D but will be doing a lot of overseas travel this year and just found out that a knee replacement is in my future. So I'm thinking it might be good to have a lighter photography equipment for our travels. Would something like the T3i be a good option for me? (We just bought the Canon PowerShot sx260 as a back up camera, so we're covered on that front.)

I typically take the Canon 7D, a Canon 18-200 (not L), an 430ex flash, and sometimes throw in the nifty 50 and Canon's 10-22 if I think I'll want a wider angle. I like to shoot raw, and have been shooting manual more often than not and selecting my focal point. Like to switch to aperture priority or shutter priority if need be. And really want good handling of high ISOs. (We will be in Ghana, Togo, and Benin this next trip and I will have to shoot in low light indoors - day or night.)

As for lenses, I have the older Tamron 18-270 zoom but don't use it much. Have heard mixed reviews of the newer PZD version but I gather it is lighter.

Would welcome any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Gretchen, the Rebels take great pictures -I still have (and occasionally use) my old xsi - but shooting manual is kind of a pain with them because they only have ONE dial - no thumbwheel. To access the functions the thumbwheel serves on the 7d (ie aperture when in manual), you have to hold down a button and swizzle the front dial at the same time (ie the one that handles shutter speed on the 7d). It's certainly do-able, but it can be tiring on the hands if you're shooting manual most of the time; you should probably handle one before deciding whether or not it will suit you.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Gretchen, the Rebels take great pictures -I still have (and occasionally use) my old xsi - but shooting manual is kind of a pain with them because they only have ONE dial - no thumbwheel. To access the functions the thumbwheel serves on the 7d (ie aperture when in manual), you have to hold down a button and swizzle the front dial at the same time (ie the one that handles shutter speed on the 7d). It's certainly do-able, but it can be tiring on the hands if you're shooting manual most of the time; you should probably handle one before deciding whether or not it will suit you.

Thank you for your helpful response! I will definitely try one out before ordering. I helped a friend trouble-shoot her Rebel on a safari in Kenya a couple of years ago and was frustrated by the menu (being used to the 7D). I've been looking over reviews of the T4i (which is rather pricey) as well as the T3i. Sounds like the touch screen may help overcome some of the issues involved with having no thumbwheel. And people seem to like shooting Live View with the articulating screen.I will have to go check these out in the store, but it is helpful to have input from dgrinners. Thanks!
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    For something a lot lighter, you may want to consider one of the newer Micro Four Thirds cameras such as the Olympus OM-D E-M5 or the upcoming Panasonic GH3. The sensor in the OM-D rivals recent APS-C sensors (isn't much smaller). I own a OM-D and have also owned the Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 7D, and 5D Mark II. With good quality glass, the results from the OM-D certainly rival the 7D and exceed the quality I got from my 40D. The upside is that the OM-D combo weighs about 1/3 as much as my full-frame gear which means I take it everywhere without a second thought.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m5_review.shtml
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2012
    Cameron wrote: »
    For something a lot lighter, you may want to consider one of the newer Micro Four Thirds cameras such as the Olympus OM-D E-M5 or the upcoming Panasonic GH3. The sensor in the OM-D rivals recent APS-C sensors (isn't much smaller). I own a OM-D and have also owned the Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 7D, and 5D Mark II. With good quality glass, the results from the OM-D certainly rival the 7D and exceed the quality I got from my 40D. The upside is that the OM-D combo weighs about 1/3 as much as my full-frame gear which means I take it everywhere without a second thought.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m5_review.shtml

Looks like an intriguing option. Better allow plenty of time when I visit my local camera shop.... Thanks for your thoughtful response!

Gretchen
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I am very happy with my Canon 7D but will be doing a lot of overseas travel this year and just found out that a knee replacement is in my future. So I'm thinking it might be good to have a lighter photography equipment for our travels. Would something like the T3i be a good option for me? (We just bought the Canon PowerShot sx260 as a back up camera, so we're covered on that front.)

I typically take the Canon 7D, a Canon 18-200 (not L), an 430ex flash, and sometimes throw in the nifty 50 and Canon's 10-22 if I think I'll want a wider angle. I like to shoot raw, and have been shooting manual more often than not and selecting my focal point. Like to switch to aperture priority or shutter priority if need be. And really want good handling of high ISOs. (We will be in Ghana, Togo, and Benin this next trip and I will have to shoot in low light indoors - day or night.)

As for lenses, I have the older Tamron 18-270 zoom but don't use it much. Have heard mixed reviews of the newer PZD version but I gather it is lighter.

Thanks,
    Gretchen

At some point the new Canon mirror-less model will be for sale
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2012
    Ended up buying the Canon 4ti and the 18-135 STM lens. Makes sense in that I already have an array of Canon lenses. The T4i camera with just the 18-135 lens shaves almost a pound off what I am carrying and should let me downsize my camera back as well. Thanks for the input on this!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    I think the Fuji X-Pro1 and X-E1 look like a manual shooter's dream. Aperture ring on the lens where it belongs, shutter speed dial on the body, and a viewfinder. I want one.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2012
    Lots of interesting options these days! Wish I had had a bit more time to make my decision, but I think this will work. Until I heard about needing knee replacements (one sooner and one later), I was thinking my next camera might be full frame but that will definitely have to wait. I will be making quick trips (2 weeks each) to Asia, Africa, and Europe this year with my husband before having knee surgery and my knees will be much happier if I'm carrying the T4i rather than the 7D.

Wish I had had a bit more time to make my decision, but I think this will work. Until I heard about needing knee replacements (one sooner and one later), I was thinking my next camera might be full frame but that will definitely have to wait. I will be making quick trips (2 weeks each) to Asia, Africa, and Europe this year with my husband before having knee surgery and my knees will be much happier if I'm carrying the T4i rather than the 7D.
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012

Thanks,
    Gretchen

Is the T4i really all that much lighter than the 7D when you consider the lenses that you will also be carrying?

If I were in your place, I would probably look for something completely different. Maybe the G1X.
    - Bill
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Honestly, it's only ~300-400 grams lighter...
    if you have the 18-200 and the 7D, why spring for a T4i + 18-135?...

I think a 7D with the 18-200 and a light prime like 50 1.4 would've been perfect for a trip overseas...
    because 18-200 is ~600 grams whereas the 18-135 is ~500 grams, so the weight difference is also minuscule!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    Check out the Sony NEX 5 and 7. Also check out the Fuji and the Olympus systems. These mirrorless cameras are impressive. Especially for the money. $1000 or less you can get close to DSLR quality. I am seriously considering getting a Sony. The Fuji's are seriously sexy though. All metal and feels like a real camera. Lots of options.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    babowc wrote: »
    Honestly, it's only ~300-400 grams lighter...
    if you have the 18-200 and the 7D, why spring for a T4i + 18-135?...

I think a 7D with the 18-200 and a light prime like 50 1.4 would've been perfect for a trip overseas...
    because 18-200 is ~600 grams whereas the 18-135 is ~500 grams, so the weight difference is also minuscule!

Thanks for your thoughts on this.... You are right that the 7D with an 18-200 lens is a relatively light travel kit. That's what I have taken to Kenya, Masai Mara, New Zealand, Korea, Japan, and other countries over the past few years. I also take a flash and a compact camera as a back up.

If it were not for my knee trouble, I would be taking the 7D on this next trip. Instead, I will be experimenting with the Tamron 18-270 PZD and the 18-135 STM, carrying one or the other around with me each day. I want to compare how they do in low light situations. This next trip is to Ghana, Togo and Benin and I took a Canon 50D the last time I was there. I find that the 7D tends to strike people as a much more serious camera - at least in the places where we travel - so having a smaller profile camera may be helpful in more ways than one.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    billythek wrote: »
    Is the T4i really all that much lighter than the 7D when you consider the lenses that you will also be carrying?

If I were in your place, I would probably look for something completely different. Maybe the G1X.

Thanks for your input on this. I have had two G series cameras prior to the XT, 50D, and 7D and it would be hard for me to go back even though they are great cameras. I did look at the G1X a few months ago. A good viewfinder, easy access to controls for shooting in manual mode, and being able to switch lenses are all important to me. I am traveling with my husband for a nonprofit organization and a selection of my photos usually end up in a printed publication as well as online. So I want to be sure that I can get the key shots.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Check out the Sony NEX 5 and 7. Also check out the Fuji and the Olympus systems. These mirrorless cameras are impressive. Especially for the money. $1000 or less you can get close to DSLR quality. I am seriously considering getting a Sony. The Fuji's are seriously sexy though. All metal and feels like a real camera. Lots of options.

Definitely intrigued by the mirrorless cameras! But decided not to go with that option this time around. I would have loved to check out the Olympus OM-D before purchasing a camera but the local camera stores are hesitant to stock these.

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    Ended up buying the Canon 4ti and the 18-135 STM lens. Makes sense in that I already have an array of Canon lenses. The T4i camera with just the 18-135 lens shaves almost a pound off what I am carrying and should let me downsize my camera back as well. Thanks for the input on this!

the Rebels work fine for a "lighter" rig,
    for me a lighter setup would be the pocket size mirror-less options
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    the Rebels work fine for a "lighter" rig,
    for me a lighter setup would be the pocket size mirror-less options

Thanks, Brett.

My biggest problem right now is going to be figuring out how to access the RAW files from the t4i on my old macbook pro. Guess that is one of the downsides of getting one of the newer cameras. Wasn't really planning on upgrading just now but it's not compatible with LR4 and the dng converter that I uploaded this morning shuts down whenever I try to open it. I knew that the Mac OS X 10.5.8 was becoming a dinosaur but this is a disappointment. Don't really have time to pursue this in depth before our trip, so I guess I'll shoot both RAW and jpg. Did see that others have been having the same problem. Sigh.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    Thanks, Brett.

My biggest problem right now is going to be figuring out how to access the RAW files from the t4i on my old macbook pro. Guess that is one of the downsides of getting one of the newer cameras. Wasn't really planning on upgrading just now but it's not compatible with LR4 and the dng converter that I uploaded this morning shuts down whenever I try to open it. I knew that the Mac OS X 10.5.8 was becoming a dinosaur but this is a disappointment. Don't really have time to pursue this in depth before our trip, so I guess I'll shoot both RAW and jpg. Did see that others have been having the same problem. Sigh.

LR4.2 was released just a few days ago, and has support for the T4i. Have you updated yet?
    - Bill
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    LR4.2 was released just a few days ago, and has support for the T4i. Have you updated yet?

Thanks for the suggestion, but the minimum system requirements are Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. We are running 10.5.8 so LR4 isn't an option just now. The DPP version on the CD-Rom that came with the camera also requires a newer OS. (I routinely use DPP to evaluate, convert RAW and rename my images before importing them into LR3.)

Photoshop Elements 11 also requires 10.6 or higher. It seems that the dng converter should have been the best short-term solution for this as it says it will work with 10.5.8 OS but other folks are reporting the same error message I'm getting. Sort of wishing I had picked up the T3i rather than the T4i....
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    Thanks, Brett.

don't know about Mac's. I'm surprised DNG converter didn't work.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited October 13, 2012
    It looks like DxO Optics Pro V7.5.5 supports the combination of Mac OS X v10.5.8 and Canon 650D/T4i CR2 (RAW) files:

http://www.dxo.com/us/photo/dxo_optics_pro/for_your_equipment

Free and fully functional 30 day trial:

http://www.dxo.com/us/photo/free_trial_version
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It looks like DxO Optics Pro V7.5.5 supports the combination of Mac OS X v10.5.8 and Canon 650D/T4i CR2 (RAW) files:

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into this! Would be great to find a less expensive solution, but good to know there is a viable option out there.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the minimum system requirements are Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. We are running 10.5.8 so LR4 isn't an option just now. The DPP version on the CD-Rom that came with the camera also requires a newer OS. (I routinely use DPP to evaluate, convert RAW and rename my images before importing them into LR3.)

Photoshop Elements 11 also requires 10.6 or higher. It seems that the dng converter should have been the best short-term solution for this as it says it will work with 10.5.8 OS but other folks are reporting the same error message I'm getting. Sort of wishing I had picked up the T3i rather than the T4i....

I misread what you tried to say. I'm not familiar with Macs anymore. I guess going from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 is a major undertaking? Oh, well.

I'm faced with a similar issue with LR3 not reading my new 5D3. I guess I should upgrade to LR4, although I was going to see if there would be a discount on Black Friday. Right now I'm using the DNG converter, but that is a pain. Interesting that CS5 seems to read the 5D3 CR2 files OK, but I'd rather not change my workflow to include Bridge.
    - Bill
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012

Aperture works fantastic! Dont know why its never mentioned. $80 now on the app store, and works so well with the other Mac apps. I paid $200 for it back when it came on a disc. But nows its updated and better. Smugmug plugins, NikSoft plugins etc, its easy.

And another vote for the GH2 mirrorless system.

This is where the future of cameras will be.

That GH2 and the 20mm pancake lens fits in my camelback and does a fantasic job. And I like the 2x sensor crop mode with no real image loss. So I can have a 20mm and a 40mm. And it weighs nothing.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    I guess going from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 is a major undertaking?

No, it isn't.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    DNG the only way to go for me anyway... ...
    Thanks, Brett.

for me, having had a triple raw file system for a while was / IS DNG.....I change all my files to DNG upon moving from card to my harddrive....then they open easily......I am not upto LR4 yet so when I went and played with a D800 and a couple of Canon cameras...ran all files thru the FREE DNG converter... you lose nothing converting and it keeps me from having to upgrade software so much...I can even rent a new camera if need be and not worry about whether or not my PS or PR will deal with the raw files... ... ...

This could be your answer also.

go here for the FREE ADOBE DNG CONVERTER ... I am currently using 7.2
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    for me, having had a triple raw file system for a while was / IS DNG.....I change all my files to DNG upon moving from card to my harddrive....then they open easily......I am not upto LR4 yet so when I went and played with a D800 and a couple of Canon cameras...ran all files thru the FREE DNG converter... you lose nothing converting and it keeps me from having to upgrade software so much...I can even rent a new camera if need be and not worry about whether or not my PS or PR will deal with the raw files... ... ...

This could be your answer also.

go here for the FREE ADOBE DNG CONVERTER ... I am currently using 7.2

Yes, the free dng converter should be the answer and help me make better use of my external hard drives, etc. I did download the free converter (7.2) but it crashes whenever I open it with this error message:

"The application Adobe DNG Converter quit unexpectedly."

This problem is puzzling other folks, too, and has been reported on the Adobe forum. Looks like they are able to run the 7.1 dng converter but I think one needs 7.2 for use with T4i files.

Upgrading the OS is an option but it would be great if Adobe could fix this glitch with the dng converter. I am usually an optimist but find myself suspecting that upgrading the OS on a macbook pro this old would fix some problems and create new issues. (This model is a MacBookPro4,1, Intel Core 2 duo, 2.5 GHz processor speed, 4GB memory, purchased in 2008.) I would be happy to hear that my pessimism is unfounded!

I think I read that LR4 might be very slow on a laptop with these specifications if I choose to upgrade the OS and also upgrade from LR3 to 4. But I am contented with LR3 as long as I can access the RAW data for processing through a dng converter or DPP (provided on the camera disk but not compatible with this computer).

Your input on all of this is much appreciated. I'll be in Ghana, Togo, and Benin for a while but will check back when I'm home again.

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    Aperture works fantastic! Dont know why its never mentioned. $80 now on the app store, and works so well with the other Mac apps. I paid $200 for it back when it came on a disc. But nows its updated and better. Smugmug plugins, NikSoft plugins etc, its easy.

And another vote for the GH2 mirrorless system.

This is where the future of cameras will be.

That GH2 and the 20mm pancake lens fits in my camelback and does a fantasic job. And I like the 2x sensor crop mode with no real image loss. So I can have a 20mm and a 40mm. And it weighs nothing.

If I understand correctly, Canon 650D/T4i CR2 (RAW) file support starts with Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.14.

Ref: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3825

Unless Gretchen/sapphire73 updates to Snow Leopard, I don't think that Aperture is a solution to her problem.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2012

Home from Africa on Wednesday, power back late Thursday (after Sandy), and trying to download trial version of DxO Optics Pro today. Looks like the website is now offering V8 (which doesn't work with Mac OS X v10.5.8). There is a price reduction for version 8 just now, but it won't help me on this computer. Sigh!
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2012
    Home from Africa on Wednesday, power back late Thursday (after Sandy), and trying to download trial version of DxO Optics Pro today. Looks like the website is now offering V8 (which doesn't work with Mac OS X v10.5.8). There is a price reduction for version 8 just now, but it won't help me on this computer. Sigh!

You might give them a shout and see if they can help:

https://shop.dxo.com/zendesk_login.php
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2012
    You might give them a shout and see if they can help:

https://shop.dxo.com/zendesk_login.php

Contacted them right after posting here and they kindly made it possible for me to test the earlier version. Thanks!