How do you achieve your Facebook likes?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 25, 2012
    what's next for FB?
    Interesting discussion on this morning's business news program:

FB stock has plummeted from the IPO price of $38 to $20 (yesterday's close). Why?

In part because FB is not adapting fast enough to its own demographic. FB, as viewed on computer screens owns a great deal of real estate for advertising - hence revenue, but the majority of traffic on FB has moved to smartphone apps where there is little or no room for advertising.

Mr. Brainiac Zuckerberg had better figure this out fast or fall victim to the next generation of brilliance who no doubt is already designing alternatives.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited September 25, 2012
    Angelo wrote: »
    FB stock has plummeted from the IPO price of $38 to $20 (yesterday's close). Why?

I think it's largely two reasons. The first is FB isn't registering as many new users and growth is slowing. The second is FB cannot figure out how to monetize the site. Sure, they have ads but they haven't been able to convert those to revenue easily nor have they been able to demonstrate future revenue growth.

Most analysts view declining registrations and no clear roadmap for the future as negative and have valued the stock accordingly. Myself, I believe it's time for Zuckerberg to step aside and let someone with experience run the company. Which is not to say he should leave the company; just recognize he's gotten the company about as far as his skill was able and now it's time for someone else to take it to the next level.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    If faceache can't generate enough revenue to keep itself going, I have to wonder how it's going to generate anything worth while for businesses advertising on it or they are going to convert the viewers to revenue. If face waste goes down, what are all those likes going to be worth then?

Before facewaste there was myspacedout which was the be all and end all at the time. Perhaps face waste's time has come and the expiry date is drawing near?
    Like Angelo suggests, All it need to knock face waste off is someone to look at the problems and usage of face waste now and design something that will cater to the current user trends and desires.

Face waste seems to have an undertow of contempt among users for it's frequent changes and requirements and if someone can come up with an alternative solution, Face waste could experience demise as fast as it has ever grown.

If I had invested time into this as an advertising medium, I'd be trying to figure out a way to cash in on those likes I had built up Now rather than later.
    This could be a hiccup or a bump in the road or it could be the start of the end.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Myself, I believe it's time for Zuckerberg to step aside and let someone with experience run the company.

Very true. He would take his genius to the exponential level if he'd do just that one thing. I've often prided myself on hiring folks better than me on a given task. I think it makes me look better and it has proven out over time.
    Glort wrote: »

If I had invested time into this as an advertising medium, I'd be trying to figure out a way to cash in on those likes I had built up Now rather than later.

Which of course means actually doing some F2F work. :D
    tom wise
  • Options
    AWPhotoAWPhoto Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2012
    This post got a little out of hand but let me add my .02 cents. Facebook has gotten me a lot of referrals, because I use it as a tool to branch out. I honestly havent really pushed my Facebook fan page in about a year and still have about 1400 "likes". Someone said it best, the "like" contests are great ways to get cheap exposure if that works for you. It did for me, and instead of just letting it sit there, I reached out to my new "fans".

One of the best things you can do after a shoot with someone who is on facebook, is tag them from your FAN PAGE. Basically create a sample gallery of that shoot as soon as possible, upload photos and tag your clients. The tag will come from your fan page, not from your personal page. This draws in interest, people will usually click back to their gallery and eventually your page to view your work. Put a link to your website where you are allowed, and you've basically created a chain of traffic to your website.

Another thing you can do is integrate your blog with your facebook fan page. All of my blog posts are linked to my fan page. In order for them to see the full blog entry they just click the link and voila, instant traffic. Another thing I did was use the wordpress plugin that allowed facebookers to post comments on my blog from their facebook accounts. No one wants to create an account on your blog just to post a comment.

No one, NO ONE, HAS to use Facebook. Just like no one NEEDS a website or a blog. For that matter, no one NEEDS business cards. You work with the tools that work for you. But to say that facebook is a waste of time is fodder for the birds. But just like anything in this world, if you're going to do it, do it right.
  • Options
    spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Interesting thread.

Well said AW Photo, no one needs facebook, its a tool pure and simple.

Holy gosh darn Glort, please give it a rest! Id like to give you credability, but Im sorry I cant when you call facebook face waste or what have you. It means you have a closed mind and havnt looked into all the oportunities. Im glad if your business is sucessful but your way isnt everyones way.

As a landscape photographer I have a slightly different demographic than the portrait / wedding crowd but I have friends who get most of their business through FB marketing and I have friends who make a fine living yet dont even have a personal FB account. It all comes down to how you decide to approach the market. There isnt one single way to sell something. Check out Trey Ratcliff, the man created a dynasty via FB and it now allows him to pretty much do whatever he wants photographically. That sounds like a pretty cool life to me!

As for my philosophy and my business, I use FB and am attempting to leverage it as a way to get as many people exposed to my photography and name as possible. Its part of building up credability in the online community which I can then leverage into credability during sales, showing that I am a knowledgable and well respected expert in my field. Fine art seems to be almost as much about the reputation / name of the artist as it is about the actual work. Facebook is one of my tools to help create that :)
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    spacefuzz wrote: »
    Holy gosh darn Glort, please give it a rest! Id like to give you credability, but Im sorry I cant when you call facebook face waste or what have you.

I'm not after credibility, I'm after an answer, however broad, to my repeated question of what these face ache likes are worth.
    So far all anyone has said is a meaningless " I get most of my work from Face waste".
    BFD!
    That is meaningless without clarification of the other promotional methods that have been tried.
    I could advertise on Face waste and Dunny walls and then say that facewaste got me the majority of my business but that means nothing.

It means you have a closed mind and havnt looked into all the oportunities. Im glad if your business is sucessful but your way isnt everyones way.

NO, it means I'm getting a bit bored with people flaming me for not being the face waste marching band leader and blindly trumpeting it's cause without them having any straight forward evidence that would be required in any real world business marketing evaluation of what these "likes" are actually worth.

AS for looking into all the opportunities, that actually made me laugh. If after all I have said that's what you think, then you ought to choose your comments a lot more carefully. What I'm trying to get some tangible evidence of is how well it works for photographers...IE, people in the game I'M in, and what those likes are worth in real world $$.

That's what any savvy real world business person would ask but I'm getting the distinct impression those with any real business marketing knowledge are far and few between here although those that are not real well acquainted with such knowledge are very vocal anyways.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited October 25, 2012
    Glort, Your hatred is what really shines through. I'm getting a little tired of it so unless you have something positive to add, give it up.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?