Options

Native salmon fishing (10 photos)

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited November 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I stumbled across this fishery a couple of days ago ...

On Hood Canal, members of the Native American Skokomish (“big river people”) tribe
pull a net full of salmon to shore. The Skokomish have fished this area for millenia.

A 1974 federal court ruling, the Boldt Decision, reaffirmed treaty rights established more
than a century before and guaranteed many Washington tribes 50 percent of the harvest
of fish in their usual and accustomed fishing areas.

Hood Canal is a 60-mile-long, fjord-like inlet off greater Puget Sound.

This sequence of photos spans the eight minutes it took them to pull the net to shore.

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvntfvwvx1rcltdjo10_1280.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited November 4, 2012
    Good series. #8 takes the prize for me.
  • Options
    Dr CalohandreDr Calohandre Banned Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    Where on the Hood Canal were these shot? It looks somewhat familiar but I haven't been there for quite some time. My aunt and uncle owned a resort next to the "Castle," (+47° 20' 58.99", -123° 2' 34.23") I think owned by the Schaeffers (?) when I used to visit there. I do remember going with my uncle to see something like this, but that was in 1962 and my memory escapes as to where. Love all of these.
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    Where on the Hood Canal were these shot? It looks somewhat familiar but I haven't been there for quite some time. My aunt and uncle owned a resort next to the "Castle," (+47° 20' 58.99", -123° 2' 34.23") I think owned by the Schaeffers (?) when I used to visit there. I do remember going with my uncle to see something like this, but that was in 1962 and my memory escapes as to where. Love all of these.

These were taken in the small town Hoodsport further up the canal from the coordinates you mention. It's a beautiful area, especially in summer. Just down the road from your coordinates is the Alderbrook Resort, purchased and renvoated by Bill and Melinda Gates, who also have a summer home next door. So do the Nordstrom's and a few other wealthy Northwest families. The Schaeffers were a big logging company family who sold all their holdings to Simpson Timber Co. in 1950. I think I know the house, it really does look like a castle, all stone? I don't remember a resort next door though. It may be a private residence now.