Options

Has anyone tried Groupons to advertise business?

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited November 16, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I am looking for in-expensive ways to advertise my photography business. Has anyone tried Groupons as a way to promote their Photography Business?

Comments

• Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    I wouldn't do it. It doesn't make much sense economically.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 15, 2012
    Chris

please enter groupon in the search window - you'll find several threads on the subject
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    Chris, if you do one, be sure to do a smart add that wont bankrupt you. :) use one location for all portraits, that way you'll save on travel expenses and time. don't offer prints, that way you can upsell and wont have a physical expense, if you do offer prints, don't offer many or large ones. and don't offer a ton of digital images or there wont be anything left to upsell.

If done right, you can make a ton of money off of this with upselling *you don't need to pressure for them, if your work is great then they will want more*. you probably wont make much off the opening deal after you offer 50% discount to the customer and 50% of the sale to groupon, then cover your business expenses. But if you can get say 10 portraits in one day and each buys an 8x10 for $50 that's $500 before expenses, not bad for a single day and minimal processing.

If done wrong, like the examples posted on these forums over the years, you could end up only being able to do a minimal number of portraits in one day, drive hours in each direction and spend hours with them to only meet the coupon requirements with no possible additional sales after, and loosing money with each portrait you do.

Also, if you want a name for yourself, doing a groupon could tarnish your "image", which is why most here are against groupon.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. After further research I think I am going to pass on Groupon.