Options

Headshot- Critique Needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    BBstringerBBstringer Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    I like them. Better light on the eyes and that first one is connected and powerful. I think I like the "A" version in both.
    I would take the bit of shine off of his top left forehead near the hairline in the blue shot. It pulled my eye away immediately. Otherwise nice work.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Thanks BB. Hmm... I'm also leaning towards version A. It was the original edit and then I went back and added the punch. I liked it at first but now, not so much. It's starts to muddy things up. It's funny because I do this often. I edit, am happy. Then I fuss a little more. Like it, then next day, not so much and back to the original recipe. Laughing.gif

I do see the little hint of shine on his upper left temple. Easy to remove that.

BTW, here is a 3/4 length shot. This one was a pain. I didn't leave myself enough room on this shot for the 8x10 ratio; hands would get cut off a the wrists or would have to lop the top of the head. I enlarged the canvas width and then had to clone the backdrop. I first tried Content Aware fill which worked pretty damn well on the left side. Right side, no go. Kept cloning pieces of his arms. Instead, I used the liquify tool to stretch the BG over onto the blank canvas. That worked pretty well but the texture on the BG was stretched. Used the clone brush in combo with the paint brush to finish it off.

Word to the wise... LEAVE YOURSELF ROOM or don't show the client the shot!

i-cLWMLwM-X2.jpgdeal.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    BBstringerBBstringer Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    I'm that way on edits too....so much so that now I always wait a day or two and come back to the image. 3/4 looks fine to me good job. Yes, sometimes it would be easier if the client didn't see the shot but unfortunately I shoot tethered and coach my client so they see almost everything. I send them to change and look through the previous shots really quickly...if there are any major clinkers I delete them...otherwise we use the shots to coach them toward what we're both looking for. It is a tremendous tool. I'd say 75 % of the time we agree on the shots...both good and bad.

Oh, and maybe knock the shine down a little bit on the zipper? :-)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    I would love to shoot tethered but I can't stomach buying the $800 wireless gizmo from Nikon. I tried to go the route of an Eye-Fi card but they don't make a CF one and there isn't a CF Type 1 adapter that will work in my D700.

I've also tried a long USB cord but what a freaking pain in the ass.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    These are TERRIFIC, especially 2A thumb.gif

I also hate usb tether - omg, DISASTER for the way I shoot!

As for that last shot - ezpz fix is just to add some canvas to the top, then laboriously copy/paste the tiny strip of background you have until you've added enough, then clean it up. Tada. Yes, it's a pain. But it does work....

PS I TOLD YOU SO....................!! :D
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    These are TERRIFIC thumb.gif

I also hate usb tether - omg, DISASTER for the way I shoot!

As for that last shot - ezpz fix is just to add some canvas to the top, then laboriously copy/paste the tiny strip of background you have until you've added enough, then clean it up. Tada. Yes, it's a pain. But it does work....

PS I TOLD YOU SO....................!! :D

Thanks for all your help Diva. My method of S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G the BG with the liquify tool seems a bit easier than your method sounds but again, there are so many ways to skin a chicken.

My Smug Site