Options

Almost Ski Race Season here on Mt Hood - Some favorites from last year...

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited December 22, 2012 in Sports
Well the entire NW is getting hit hard with snow in the mountains building the base as we head into race season. I'm pumped and ready to go. As I get ready for the new season, I like to look back at the previous season...Here are some of my favorites:

i-dNtDMbZ-XL.jpg

i-XgNv2VZ-XL.jpg

i-CgWnF7L-XL.jpg

i-VtT52Mj-XL.jpg

i-bS6Gj3H-XL.jpg

i-VtvzpW8-XL.jpg

i-vW97mrc-XL.jpg

I've got a few things I want to try this year...
  1. Take some jump shots from below the take-off ramp
  2. Figure out how to use my new fisheye on a race day. Any ideas?
  3. Try some time-lapse on a race day. I would really like to do an entire race but I think that is a little too ambitious. Maybe just the timing crew setting up the finish area
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    Great stuff, perfect exposures. If #4 is my daughter, I'm buying a poster!

I don't see how you'd be able to use a fish-eye during a race, unless you had consent from the racer and the organizers. I think you'd have to get very close to the racer. A cool shot would be just behind and above the racer in the starting gate, or over their shoulder.

Jumps are fun...

sugarloaf_008-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2012
    Great stuff, perfect exposures. If #4 is my daughter, I'm buying a poster!

I don't see how you'd be able to use a fish-eye during a race, unless you had consent from the racer and the organizers. I think you'd have to get very close to the racer. A cool shot would be just behind and above the racer in the starting gate, or over their shoulder.

Jumps are fun...
    Thanks Jack. Nice jump shot of yours there. The girl in #4 is 8 years old. Pretty amazing. Her family moved from Michigan last year and she and her sister tore up the mountain. She finished every race #1 but they moved again. This time to Ogden, UT.
    I like your idea of using the fisheye from behind in the starting gate. I think I could swing that. I also want try right at a gate. I could probably do this on a training day to see what that looks like but I wouldn't be able to swing that in a race.
    We have two jump contests a year and I would really like to place a camera at the base of the take off ramp and trigger it remotely to get them from the back as they fly down the hill.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2012
    great stuff
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2012
    All good but first 4 are fantastic. Always sunny on the Oregon slopes! Yeah right!

I moved from Portland to Phoenix in '06. One project I enjoyed back in '93 was building the Cascade Express lift that replaced Texas, if you've skied long enough to remember that one. Meadows' first detachable quad. Snowmobiles through July and the only month we didn't have snow was September. Fun summer on the mountain. Lifts were open for Thanksgiving that year--barely.

Post lots. Love seeing your ski pics.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2012
    great stuff
    All good but first 4 are fantastic. Always sunny on the Oregon slopes! Yeah right!

I moved from Portland to Phoenix in '06. One project I enjoyed back in '93 was building the Cascade Express lift that replaced Texas, if you've skied long enough to remember that one. Meadows' first detachable quad. Snowmobiles through July and the only month we didn't have snow was September. Fun summer on the mountain. Lifts were open for Thanksgiving that year--barely.

Post lots. Love seeing your ski pics.thumb.gif
    Thanks guys.

Photogbiker - That's cool that you worked on Cascade. We didn't ski there until after Cascade was done. We started about the time that Vista chair went it - another detachable quad. Now Meadows has 6 detachable quads.

Don't worry - you will probably see lots of si racing pics this winter....:D
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    Great stuff, looking forward to it. Meadows has boomed since the days I skied there as a kid. I was there with family the infamous Christmas 2008 week. 5 days with chains on car, and skied Friday in half ok weather. Left Portland Saturday morning, arrived Phoenix Sunday afternoon to 65 and sun. Cleaned my pool and sat on back patio. Last time I have been to OR in winter. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    Fabulous ,sharp ,crisp, images.