Options

7D & 50 1.8 test shots

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited December 23, 2012 in Cameras
Morning Folks,
I played around with ma 7D and nifty fifty yesterday morning. The following shots were taken wide open. I was very impressed. The other 7 or 8 shots were just as impressive. My old 5D with the 50 produced similar shots as well, wide open. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the shutter sound, which sounds cheap. Other then that, the 7D seems like a really good camera. Thanks for looking :thumb
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    edited December 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2012
    2b...
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Morning Folks,
    I played around with ma 7D and nifty fifty yesterday morning. The following shots were taken wide open. I was very impressed. The other 7 or 8 shots were just as impressive. My old 5D with the 50 produced similar shots as well, wide open. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the shutter sound, which sounds cheap. Other then that, the 7D seems like a really good camera. Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Jim...

50mm 1.8 is one of the best $100 lens
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2012
    7D & 50 1.8 test shots
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    50mm 1.8 is one of the best $100 lens
    Good Afternoon Brett,
    I agree thumb.gif When I bought my 50 1.8 years ago, I think it was only $84 then. Still a very good light weight lens without a doubt.
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    7D & 50 1.8 test shots
    I think it was only $84 then. Still a very good light weight lens without a doubt.
    Good Morning,
    Canon added that lens (refurbished) to it's 20% (holiday) discount yesterday for $80 and change. Unfortunately, it's out of stock this morning. Hopefully, It'll be back in stock sometime today. With Tax + the $7 (2nd day) shipping, it's around $92. That's a deal thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    Sorry, I still prefer the 50/1.4... Plastic vs Glass wins every time... and the 50/1.4 is sharper (according to DXO) than the 50/1.2 that's many times more expensive. The 50/1.8 is a good, " I need a lens I can break and not worry about how much it cost" thing. :)
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2012
    7D & 50 1.8 test shots
    Sorry, I still prefer the 50/1.4... Plastic vs Glass wins every time... and the 50/1.4 is sharper (according to DXO) than the 50/1.2 that's many times more expensive. The 50/1.8 is a good, " I need a lens I can break and not worry about how much it cost" thing. :)
    Good Morning Jim,
    Lots of people like the 50 1.4. It is a good lens. Not sure what you mean regarding the plastic vs glass statement. The elements in both 50's are glass. The 1.8 has a plastic mount, rather then a metal mount. If you drop a plastic bottle from a 2nd story window, I'm pretty sure it'll still be in one piece when it hits the pavement, unlike the glass that will shatter everywhere. Thanks for the comments thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    I think Canon cut a little too many corners on the 1.8II, I guess that was my point. Going with the plastic mount, making the focus ring almost non-existant (on the tip of the lens) and removing the distance scale. The plastic mount itself was the tipping point when I broke 2, 50/1.8's in under a year to move up to the 1.4. Not only that, it's a Non-USM motor which can be painfully slow... If you use the 50 daily, I'd save for the 1.4, but if you pull it out once every week or less, then the 1.8 is just fine, assuming you can deal with the focus ring.

ef_50_18.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2012
    7D & 50 1.8 test shots
    I think Canon cut a little too many corners on the 1.8II, I guess that was my point. Going with the plastic mount, making the focus ring almost non-existant (on the tip of the lens) and removing the distance scale. The plastic mount itself was the tipping point when I broke 2, 50/1.8's in under a year to move up to the 1.4. Not only that, it's a Non-USM motor which can be painfully slow... If you use the 50 daily, I'd save for the 1.4, but if you pull it out once every week or less, then the 1.8 is just fine, assuming you can deal with the focus ring.

ef_50_18.jpg
    Good Evening Jim,
    I don't think Canon cut too many corners off a budget lens. I've had mine for over 6 yrs now. The iq is very good for a $100 lens, on par with a $325 lens, as you stop down slightly. Granted, the build quality isn't great, but not bad either. I use mine in tunnels and in manholes where available light is limited to either sunlight or miners' lights only. I've slipped on quite a few ladders, banged the camera and even dropped it, but never had a problem with either. The images I posted show what this $100 lens can do wide open. At that price, I'll buy 2 more, (if ever needed) rather then spend $325 on a lens that does the same thing. It's a no brainer.
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...