A couple of B&W's

Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited January 2, 2013 in People
C&C would be very welcome :)

I. Incognito

dsc03493j.jpg

II. But I Won't Cry for Yesterday

dsc02877editedit.jpg
I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.

Comments

• Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    Both gorgeous but #1 is just stop me dead stunning.

As a minor comment from the dumb, the second image seems like the light is aimed dead at her nose and the falloff to both sides kinda confirms that. It may be the effect you wanted, but to me it's a bit jarring. Then again, I don't get out much. Laughing.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    generally great shots - just dot like not natural bokeh - I mean PS bokeh
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    First picture is my favorite.

Interesting lightning.

Marcelo

Marcin Wuu wrote: »
    C&C would be very welcome :)

I. Incognito

dsc03493j.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Thanks, glad you liked it. The key light is supposed to be exactly at the lens/nose axis.
    coolpinsky wrote: »

huh? Would you like to elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean, I did not add any artificial bokeh effect here.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    #1 is stunning, very flattering to your subject, the pose, the neckline of the dress on shoulders. Just wow.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    coolpinsky wrote: »

I think Cool is talking about #2. Eyes are in focus yet nothing else on the focal plane is. Either her lips, chin and chest is way further back or forward than her eyes or you added a texture or blur in post to make it look like that. ne_nau.gif

I like them both BTW. Very nice work and beautiful model.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    ...Either her lips, chin and chest is way further back or forward than her eyes or you added a texture or blur in post to make it look like that. ne_nau.gif

Or it's just the good oldfashioned tilt of the front standard ;)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    Or it's just the good oldfashioned tilt of the front standard ;)

So you're shooting large format?

Very cool if so.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    So you're shooting large format?

Very cool if so.

Actually it's medium format. Fuji gx680, as far as I know the only MF camera to have front standard movements in both vertical and horizontal axes. I was pondering large format, but it's a bit too impractical. With MF, I can drop a roll of film at any convenience store and have it developed in an hour...
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Actually it's medium format. Fuji gx680, as far as I know the only MF camera to have front standard movements in both vertical and horizontal axes. I was pondering large format, but it's a bit too impractical. With MF, I can drop a roll of film at any convenience store and have it developed in an hour...

MF and LF are rare so one assumes post work was done for selective focus like your image presents.

BTW, I checked your work out on 500px... quite impressive.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    MF and LF are rare so one assumes post work was done for selective focus like your image presents.

That's an interesting notion - coolpinsky didn't like the image because he thought the effect was done in post? I wonder if he would like it more knowing from the start it was achieved with a camera much simpler than even the simplest of dslrs...
    BTW, I checked your work out on 500px... quite impressive.

Thanks, I appreciate that :)
    Actually I was hoping for some fresh views on my work - If you're active in some place for a while people tend to start judge your work by your nick... "Oh, it's this guy, he sucks, so the photo sucks too", "Oh, this guy's good, so the photo must be good too". I remembered that I have an account on the DGrin and said to myself: well then let's hear some unbiased word. And here I am :)
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Good to have you posting here. I think 500 is a great place to showcase your work but it tends to be another "circle-jerk" forum, like Flickr. Not a lot of real dialogue going on.

Like Cool, I too thought the tilt effect was done in post but I liked anyway. It was well done so I really didn't care how you accomplished it but some are "purest" I guess.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    BTW, the only nit I have and its a small one is with #1. The way her shirt is folder over her left shoulder... it makes her left boob look deflated/droopy. Wasn't going to say anything but thought I should mention it since I keep staring at the damn thing now.

Oh... and as far as lighting in #1, is that a 3 light setup? Beaty dish above, hair light and light on backdrop?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    BTW, the only nit I have and its a small one is with #1. The way her shirt is folder over her left shoulder... it makes her left boob look deflated/droopy. Wasn't going to say anything but thought I should mention it since I keep staring at the damn thing now.
    It's little details like this that make one wish for a time machine... Once you notice it, which generally happens after the shot :)
    Oh... and as far as lighting in #1, is that a 3 light setup? Beaty dish above, hair light and light on backdrop?

I have a "virtual set" to showcase how this photo was shot. It was made for a tutorial I've been asked to write for a local photography forum:

studioa.jpg

It's a two light setup - a small PAR with barndoors for the key, fresnel lens for the rim. That's it, no backdrop light.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Thanks for the setup. I wasn't sure about the backdrop light but now looking at the shot I can see there wasn't one.

And yeah, time machine would be nice!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2013
    you got that old time look down pat..both are killer!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com