Options

Current thinking in card readers?

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited January 7, 2013 in Accessories
I have an older Sandisk card reader that has served me well, but has become problematic. (Although I dont really understand how they can fail!) This one takes several plug in attempts to get the computer to recognize it.

Anyway - time for a new one! What's the curent standard? What (USB2) style has most value/ performance ?

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    I've always had good luck with my SanDisk reader. I am wondering if yours failed due to the USB plug. Mine sits in a cradle and can be taken out. The reader can then be plugged in with another usb cable. If you had a similar one, I was wondering if that might make it register better.

Regardless, if mine failed I would get another SanDisk in a heartbeat. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited April 19, 2012
    In my experience when a USB device starts to fail at connection, it's generally because of either contention with other USB devices (often the result of poorly written device drivers somewhere) or a registry issue (Windows specific).

Hardware can play a part, but it's generally more catastrophic failure when it's hardware.

Sandisk and Lexar are 2 proven brands, but specific operating system and hardware (computer, built-in card readers, etc.) can affect the operational outcome.

With CF cards, proper pairing of UDMA cards to UDMA readers is also important, and using older cards in a UDMA reader may not be fast at all.

The following pages may give you some insight into the issues and some guidance on purchases (although the data is getting dated now):

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/reader_report_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9392
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/reader_report_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9438
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Here's what I have now:

2485_sandisk_ext_usb_thumb.jpg SanDisk Extreme III USB (original version)
    This CompactFlash and SD/SDHC USB 2.0 reader is one of the most dependable and goof-proof readers we've ever used. Though it's a couple of years old now and not the speediest, it remains a favourite here because it just works.

I would agree it works rather well. Sandisk does not have a current direct replacement. The similar Lexar is also old.

I would prefer one that is just CF or like this CF and SD. I dont use the other 14 type memory cards, so it just adds bulk complexity and cost.

Oh, I always forget computer specific stuff. I have Win7, a fairly modern Dell Laptop running most current software. No other periferals, other than the single built in SD slot.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited April 19, 2012
    The SanDisk Extreme III USB (original version) is a solid card reader, but apparently not capable of UDMA. This will affect transfer speeds for many current Compact Flash cards.

Have you updated to this version of the Sandisk Launchpad?:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/U3-Windows-7-update-now-available/m-p/156945/highlight/true#M1

For current card readers, I agree that the all-in-one reader approach is generally less than desired for performance and reliability. That said, unless you want to upgrade to USB 3, your best bet might be an all-in-one reader.

A couple that get good marks:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735289-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDREADER_41_Universal_Card_Reader.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735302-REG/Lexar_LRW024URBNA_Multi_Card_24_in_1_USB_Reader.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    Bumping this older thread as my old card reader is getting cranky. Looks like a spider or other bug crawled onto the pins and died there (????!!!!!) and even though I cleaned it out, it's a bit iffy now. Plus the pins are bending and it's getting harder to insert the cards (that was true before the bug incident).

In any case, any reccos since April? Sadly, I don't have USB 3.0, so any reader needs to be backwards compatible with 2.0...
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Bumping this older thread as my old card reader is getting cranky. Looks like a spider or other bug crawled onto the pins and died there (????!!!!!) and even though I cleaned it out, it's a bit iffy now. Plus the pins are bending and it's getting harder to insert the cards (that was true before the bug incident).

In any case, any reccos since April? Sadly, I don't have USB 3.0, so any reader needs to be backwards compatible with 2.0...

The last link that Ziggy posted earlier for the Lexar card reader closes down to keep anything from getting in the card slots. I own this one and can honestly say that the memory card will accurately align before even getting close to the pins, thus eliminating the chance of pins bending.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    divamum wrote: »

I highly recommend getting a card reader that is USB 3.0, even if you don't have such functionality yet. It will be worth it in the long run.

I have tried card readers from Transcend, Pretec, and Kingston. I recommend the Transcend and Kingston ones quite highly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=slrlounge01-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0056TYRMW&adid=0HG95J8XS8SNCB3E6WPF&
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ES0YYA/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=slrlounge01-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B005ES0YYA&adid=16ZP0SMS3HHDKP6GHBEP&
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Thanks guys! Matt, I reckoned I would get USB 3 - as long as it's a backwards-compatible unit, no problem (and wasn't sure if all of them are, hence the mention....)

I kinda like the closeable Sandisk, but it looks like they don't make it anymore; the Kingston looks pretty good. Time to go do some Amazon Prime-ing, methinks....
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    There is a USB 2 & 3 version of the closeable Lexar one, and the USB 3 version is backwards compatable.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2012
    Ordered the newer version of the Lexar - I like that you can close it. It was a little more than the Transcend, but users comment that it runs faster than others even on USB 2.0, which can only be a help with the huge 5dii and 7d raw files I often have!! I'll let you know what it's like :)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    Hey DivaMum-

Just remember a few things, as I spend way too much time troubleshooting USB at work.
    1) It will only transfer as fast as your receiver (hard drive) can write the data.
    2) USB is interrupt driven which means if you are doing a transfer to an external USB hard drive it will take longer.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2013
    Ummmmm.... WOW. Even on USB 2.0, it's probably 3x (maybe even 4x) as fast as my old Sandisk reader. Colour me impressed - that was an excellent $35 upgrade!!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 7, 2013
    A suggestion for you Windows users. If you are having trouble with the device and it does not appear to be hardware related, you can remove and reinstall the USB drivers from the system. That may help. Also be sure to apply any OS updates.

As far as USB 3 vs 2. I always suggest weighing the cost/benefit before buying. For me, USB 3 is "nice to have" meaning the direct benefit does not warrant the extra cost.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2013
    Most of them seem to be coming in as USB 3.0 now. As long as it's backwards-compatible, no problem. This one was a bit more $, but it has the closeable slot (see above for reasons why that appeals!) and it got great reviews. I'm happy with it, that's for sure! Can't believe the difference....