Options

A Few Beach shots from Big Sur

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited January 30, 2013 in Landscapes
I lucked out for once and got a great sunset at Pfeiffer State Beach in Big Sur last week. C&C's always welcome.

1. This was actually on the way to the beach.
IMG_6454-XL.jpg

2. A couple of obligatory fire-in-the-hole shots.
IMG_6502-XL.jpg

IMG_6540-XL.jpg

4.Then on to the sunset. These two guys came along and plopped their tripods right where I was shooting. :rolleyes

IMG_6587-XL.jpg

5. Oooh, ahhhh.... :D
IMG_6609-Edit-2-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking.
-joel

Comments

• Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    #5 - ooh aah alright!! wings.gif

edit: oh and regarding people getting in photos - you'd think that photographers would respect each other eh? I told my son taking photos with me not to go in front of a group of 4 people taking some photos (semi serious to pro gear). He respectfully made sure he didn't go in front of them of which I was proud. So what do these "*%"*%"*% people then do? Just go and stand right in front of the two of us whist we were shooting... Some people!!! :boid
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2013
    jasonstone wrote: »
    #5 - ooh aah alright!! wings.gif

edit: oh and regarding people getting in photos - you'd think that photographers would respect each other eh? I told my son taking photos with me not to go in front of a group of 4 people taking some photos (semi serious to pro gear). He respectfully made sure he didn't go in front of them of which I was proud. So what do these "*%"*%"*% people then do? Just go and stand right in front of the two of us whist we were shooting... Some people!!! :boid
    Thanks, Jase. I feel your pain. Common courtesy just doesn't seem that common anymore.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Very nice!
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    I wouldn't want the uninvited people in all shots; but they do lend a sense of scale. I like you shots and on top of that they make me think warmer than we've got just east of St. Louis at the moment!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Very nice, Joel. That last one is magnificent.clap.gif

Good thing I wasn't there...I would have taken to hollering at those inconsiderate pricks.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Kdog,

#3 is my favorite!

I actually like #4 with the exception of the dust spots. The two photographers add to the scene, and to play devils advocate they may have been totally oblivious to you.

Sam
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Beautiful and dramatic... another wonderful stop on my armchair vacation!
    #2 for me.
    In #4, I think that's Scott Kelby on the left. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Wonderful set. Hard to pick a favorite.
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    These are great, 4 and 5 especially. Even with the bozos in 4.
  • Options
    WillPWillP Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Brilliant set. Nice water movement in 2 & 3 with beautiful light. #5 is definitely Ohhh, Ahhh as stated :)
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Very nice!
    Thanks, Don!
    Jane B. wrote: »
    I wouldn't want the uninvited people in all shots; but they do lend a sense of scale. I like you shots and on top of that they make me think warmer than we've got just east of St. Louis at the moment!
    Thanks, Jane. It was pretty cool for California, but I'm thinking a bit warmer than St Louis. nod.gif
    Very nice, Joel. That last one is magnificent.clap.gif

Good thing I wasn't there...I would have taken to hollering at those inconsiderate pricks.

Tom
    Thanks very much, Tom. I pushed them into the water right after that shot.

Kidding!! :D
    Sam wrote: »
    Kdog,

#3 is my favorite!

I actually like #4 with the exception of the dust spots. The two photographers add to the scene, and to play devils advocate they may have been totally oblivious to you.

Sam
    Thanks, Sam. We all walked over to this stretch of beat after the fire-in-the-hole ended and exchanged a polite word or two. They knew I was there, but didn't really care. Fortunately there's enough beach there that it really didn't matter. I actually like the comp with the "bozos" in it.
    Earache wrote: »
    Beautiful and dramatic... another wonderful stop on my armchair vacation!
    #2 for me.
    In #4, I think that's Scott Kelby on the left. :D
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks, Eric. :D
    LightMagic wrote: »
    Wonderful set. Hard to pick a favorite.
    Thanks, LM. Good to see you around again.
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    These are great, 4 and 5 especially. Even with the bozos in 4.
    Thanks Brian! "Bozos" lol3.gif
    WillP wrote: »
    Brilliant set. Nice water movement in 2 & 3 with beautiful light. #5 is definitely Ohhh, Ahhh as stated :)

Thanks very much, Will! thumb.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Ohh and Aww...is right! 3 is awesome!!!! Love the serenity of the last one. the people do lend scale and I hope they didn't see you but I don't understand why people can't take a look around to check if they are in someone's view. Anyway - just beautiful shots! clap.gif
  • Options
    work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    All are nice and I agree that the rude photographers add a little something to the shot - great job for turning what might have been misfortune into something good! #2 looks like a painting and #5 has awesome colors.

On #3, what was the shutter speed? It looks sort of slow, maybe 1/4 to 1/15?

Regards,
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    the last one's the pick of the litter for me... love those colors!!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Nice shots! great sunset that day. I was only able to make it out there once, and it was overcast ne_nau.gif
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    byoshi wrote: »
    Nice shots! great sunset that day. I was only able to make it out there once, and it was overcast ne_nau.gif

What a stunning set of images Joel. I am sure the two guys would not get the composition shot that you achieved and this seems to tell me that they have a long way to go before they get anywhere near your standard. The second one is incredible. Well done.
    Bob
  • Options
    SighSigh Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    I think they are all brilliant.
    Opinions on what looks best will always be divided, as we all like different things. I would be very proud of the shot with those people in it. They add to the scale. But for me, numbers two and three are the best. Simply incredible!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited January 27, 2013
    Just gorgeous. I have got to get there in person some day to do some shooting of this place.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    John!John! Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    awesome set! thanks for sharing.
    John

"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Dan ADan A Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    Nice shots, love the golden light coming the arch.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    Great set, Joel! I like the progression from moving toward the beach to ending with sunset. I like #2 with the outline of the righthand rocks from the sun. I like the photographers in#4. It makes the shot different and adds some interest for me.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    I am from the area and have planned on taking shots myself! These are nice! One idea I have for Pfeiffer beach is that there is a trail that goes up on the rocks just before the beach begins....to the left. Once you get to the top, you can sometimes see Pelicans fly by in a group but right at your eye sight level as you standing up there.....I hope get those someday with some interesting light combination.....or moonlight on waves and Pelicans......

Your shots are certainly inspiring me to put my plan in action!