Options

Black Nightie with Jessica

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited February 9, 2013 in People
No, I don't just shoot BilCyn images with Cyndi (thouh it wouldn't bother me :rofl)

Studio shoot this weekend and Jessica showed up with this incredible black lingerie. Aside from that gorgeous face, I'd have to say she showed some considerable other assets.

Click the first image for the entire gallery.

p1394993766-4.jpg

p1394993672-4.jpg

p1395092670-4.jpg

p1395092502-4.jpg

p1395264068-4.jpg

p1395264014-4.jpg

p1393425266-4.jpg

8. and there's a gold corset waiting to be processed
p1393425278-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    I like the last shot for the lighting. I'm not sure yet if I like the pose. I have mixed feelings about the hint of crotch (hey, nice name for a perfume!) showing and also her left foot being flat on the ground. I also like her in number 3. However, I wish the lighting were more dramatic. Maybe not so even across the body. Maybe more light fall off away from the face.

First two aren't bad, although the angle of the #2, with distortion, makes her look a bit bobble-headish. #4-6 give me a bit of a trashy feel. #7 had potential but I keep wanting to look under the cushion for some change.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2013
    Laughing.gif at looking for change. I saw that but every correction I tried looked really bad.

As for the rest, thanks for the comments.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    This set is just not up to par with your usual good stuff. Perhaps just a bad day, but the shadows on the wall, setting, lighting and poses just come off as a bunch of tawdry snapshots.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    OOOOH you used the "S" word on me Mitchell. Usually sets me off no end but this time it appears from the comments that you are close to correct.

Thanks for the look and the comments.:D
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    I don't mean to be overly harsh, but I know you appreciate hones critique. I'm just not sure why this set seems so "off" your usual stuff.

The light seems a bit too direct and harsh. This just gets accentuated in the shots where she is too close to the wall.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I don't mean to be overly harsh, but I know you appreciate hones critique. I'm just not sure why this set seems so "off" your usual stuff.

The light seems a bit too direct and harsh. This just gets accentuated in the shots where she is too close to the wall.

15524779-Ti.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    NO worries Mitchell. You know me well enough to know I have NO sense of harsh. I seriously appreciate all comments from you. thumb.gif I'm a big enough boy to accept the "off" day. Curious if the gold corset set is more pleasing. Same day, same model but I pulled way back on both lighting and PP. We shall see.

Alex my friend, I think I've spoiled you with Cyndi (actually myself too). Laughing.gif Maybe I should just shoot with her for the rest of my life. I could live with that.rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Gold corset are definitely better but the lighting is still a bit flat in most. My fav of the bunch is #96 in the gallery.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    You went to the Gallery??? Dank U beddy much. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Bilsen wrote: »
    You went to the Gallery??? Dank U beddy much. Laughing.gif

I ALWAYS go to you gallery. I just don't tell you. rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2013
    Have to agree wtih the others. I quite like #2 and the last one (I'll be very interested to see the gold corset set), but the shadows on 3-7 kill them dead for me; I have to agree with Mitchell that they look like tawdry snapshots. Sorry. ne_nau.gif

Here's my question to you (and one that Cuban and myself have both alluded to before): what are you seeing that blinds you to the harsh shadows in these? Even if you didn't see those technical problems while shooting, what is preventing you from seeing them once they're on your hard drive and you're going through the shoot?

Be ruthless with your culling - you produce enough EXCELLENT work that can afford to be more selective. Pretty girl in sexy underwear does not necessarily a great photo make...................
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    This set as previously mentioned is not as strong as your other ones. I think it s that couch that is throwing you off. Those shot are flat with that s word on the wall. I think the one posted here infront of the screen are better. In the Gallery, the gold corsets are better than the couch. I think the issue I see in the couch seres is you are on the wrong side of the main light. If you were more left then her body would block the shadows or get a bigger light source and wrap her in the light.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Hi all. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Diva, I'm not blind to the shadows. They just don't bother me enough to trash can the image. Of course, like sharp bacgrounds, I am aware I'm in the distinct minority. YMMV

Tin, I understand your point on angles. In fact, I did pretty much exactly that in the gold corset set.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Hey John, Steve, Bilson or artist formerly know as...

First, I've been gone a while and I must say after looking at many of your studio sets, I think they are really good and in my opinion a step up from much of your early outdoor work as well as the in studio work from last year. It would seem you are getting comfortable in that environment. Kudos!

This set. Yes the lighting is harsh and in some, as Diva said, they look a bit "tawdry". But hey, tawdry can be a good thing if that's what your shooting for.

Looking at these, some remind me of color versions of some of the photography used in the "detective" and "true crime" magazines from the late 40's and early 50's. These publications went out of their way to be "tawdry", that's why people purchased them. Although far from tawdry by today's standards, at that time it was pretty racy and the photographers used the harsh lighting to give the images that seedy look on purpose.

Personally, I would play around with black and white processing with a few of these images, and presto, you have some vintage recreation of that era. Recreating a vintage look takes it from tawdry to art! :D

3 and 7 would be my picks for the tawdry "true crime", "sleazy detective" magazine look from that era.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2013
    Hey Bryce, loooong time. Good to see you.

Thanks for the comments. I'll play around with the B&W and see what happens.
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    You know Bryce might have something there.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2013
    Agreed - do 'em up film noir-ishly and you might have something! thumb.gif

Btw, "tawdry" was Mitchell's word, not mine. I just recycled it because I was in a hurry and too lazy to think of a good word of my own blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    Ok...

Credit to Mitchell for the word "tawdry". :D

Speed reading will get you every time.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    :d <---- supposed to be a dgrin smiley, but it won't work. Pretty much like the rest of my day......
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    I was really hoping to see a "noir" rework of one of these. I know life gets in the way, boy do I know.

Mind if I play with one in my newly found spare time?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Go for it Bryce. I'm spending the weekend shooting Cyndi and Ann Marie so get to redos whenever.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Bilsen wrote: »
    Go for it Bryce. I'm spending the weekend shooting Cyndi and Ann Marie so get to redos whenever.

Beauty!

Could play with this a lot longer, but this is a quickie of what I had in mind. Kind of "seedy/campy" for lack of a better description.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Lol i love that bryce.