Options

creating several layers of sub categories and moving galleries

vicarious1vicarious1 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited February 18, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi Happy New Year.:scratch
I love travel photography and find myself more and more at a loss not to be able to install more than one layer of sub category. Windows and Linux can do that for ever, what's holding SMUGMUG back offering this architecture?

One subcategory, as in the moment, is for from adequate! I don't think I am the only one longing/asking for such a solution.
I have been looking around and found that other photo storage sites DO OFFER these options Why can't SMUGMUG offer that?

I don't find it ideal when too many photos galleries (especially in travel related photos) populate one page. One ends up with 10 gallery and its pic instead of one main with nine sub sub and yes maybe sub sub sub category An ideal structure would be
Main page galley "travel"
> Subgallery "California"
> "Palm Springs"
>by day
>by night
>architecture
>plants,flowers
>up 10000 feet
etc

Is this in SMUGMUG bucket list or not?
Are you in support of such a solution?
Thanks
visualsenses.smugmug.com
Since there is Light there is Beauty.

Do you want more than one level of sub categories 13 votes

Yes please one more sub category
30%
Lesley Brayrteest42SergeBerrardVisualscls241 4 votes
Yes please two more sub categories
30%
forestlitterAceCo55sightJamesGPhoto 4 votes
Yes please three more sub categories
38%
cjyphotouncoolvicarious1DemianCoolP7000 5 votes
None of the above I am happy as it is now
0%

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,277 moderator
    edited January 22, 2013
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Vic,

As stated in your answer from a Support Hero, this is in fact in the works. While we cannot give you a definite time on release, I can tell you that the development is coming along as planned.

Michael
  • Options
    Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Vic,

As stated in your answer from a Support Hero, this is in fact in the works. While we cannot give you a definite time on release, I can tell you that the development is coming along as planned.

Michael

Ahhh... great to know you're making this happen. Is it safe to assume SmugMug is working on Ulla Huhta's Five Year Plan (from requesting this feature) to implement more levels?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2013
    Ahhh... great to know you're making this happen. Is it safe to assume SmugMug is working on Ulla Huhta's Five Year Plan (from requesting this feature) to implement more levels?

It is never safe to assume :D

Michael
  • Options
    Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    It is never safe to assume :D

Michael

headscratch.gif That's your answer?!

I shall rephrase:

"Ahhh... great to know you're making this happen. Is "the plan" for SmugMug to release more levels within five years of Ulla Huhta's requesting this feature on September 29, 2009?"

How about when you say "the development is coming along as planned" can you please confirm if the plan is to have this feature implemented within five years of SmugMug starting to work on it January 29, 2010?

I am not asking for a definite release date but if you guys have no clue if "the plan" is to have more levels within 30 days, six months, one year, two years, three years, four years, five years, ten years, 15 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years, 50 years or before I die... then I'd really like to know you have no goals and do not like to be disappointed when you fail to meet your own target dates no matter how loose you make them.

To rephrase the last paragraph, I am not asking for a definite release date but a very loose date of reality for implementation (which should be much easier of knowing after having started working on it three years ago). If you guys cannot commit to any loose date within the next 100 years for fear of disappointing us, how are we supposed to take any mention of "it's coming along as planned" seriously?

If more can not be said then the usual it's "coming along as planned," "soon, "we cannot give you a definite time on release," etc., ... then you are not thinking outside of the box mbonocore and perhaps I'll start a new thread to help you with that (maybe before or after when you create the new thread you said you'd start).
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    headscratch.gif That's your answer?!

I apologize. I do try to infuse a little fun and humor in these forums when I can.

As stated, I cannot give you a time frame regarding this feature. As I have said, we are working on this every single day, and the development is coming along very nicely.

Michael
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Michael,
    There is one option missing from the poll: "Unlimited nested subcategories (levels)". Technically speaking it is better (and absolute right choice) to create a generic parent<child relationship to accommodate unrestricted nesting level than design a limited two, three, or four level nested subs. If your developers tell you otherwise - fire them.

Regarding time frame: in technical lingo cannot give you a time frame regarding this feature and we are working on this every single day cannot be use together :) Well.. let me correct myself, it can be used when you are selling something to a technically illiterate client, but I hope you really do not think you can say it to an experienced software designer professional and believe that he will believe you:)
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    Regarding time frame: in technical lingo cannot give you a time frame regarding this feature and we are working on this every single day cannot be use together :) Well.. let me correct myself, it can be used when you are selling something to a technically illiterate client, but I hope you really do not think you can say it to an experienced software designer professional and believe that he will believe you:)

Hi Michael,

Why can I not? I believe there is some level of work done on this and many other features and bug fixes every single day. But, even though there is some level of work done on a feature every day, that doesn't mean I am able to provide a time frame :D

But even with that said, it is not to be meant to be taken literally. I don't have a timesheet with the exact amount of time spent on projects, but being behind the scenes, I do see the level of work that goes into future features, so I made a blanket statement about "every single day"

Sorry for the confusion Michael.

Michael
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Yes please three more sub categories
    Seriously? This has "been in the works" since forever. Yes I'm getting frustrated!
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage