Options

DSS Challenge #123 Abstract Photography

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited March 4, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #123 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, February 18, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, March 4, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Abstract Photography

Not to be confused with Abstract in Art.

Abstract in photography is slightly different because in everyday things we as the photographer can find creative abstracts with light, texture and really closed up shots so that you cannot necessarily tell what the object is, but rather be drawn to the colors, shapes, lines, textures...ect. See the examples below or do a search on abstract photography.

Definitions very slightly, however what we are looking for this round is that the image you submit is not identifiable as direct object, rather concentrate on colors, shapes, lines, textures and such to create your images. Be sure that your image fills to the frame of the whole picture. There should be very little to no backgrounds or boarders. There is no limit to what you can find!

What we do NOT want is an image of an everyday object taken into an editing program and then distorted till it is unreconizable! So no warping or twirling or tiling or fractals or collidascoping filters allowed in post editing. You MAY however change your colors, brightness and constrasts. Mulitiple layering of several imags IS allowed as long as all EXIFs are presented under your title area. See the DSS instructions thread for where to find out how to do that.

Create a work of art with your photography!

Here are some examples:
1. This was done by slow shutter speed and looking up at trees while zooming the lens in at a fixed point.

JMM7558ed-S.jpg

2. This one taken of tall grass with a slow shutter speed and a downward motion of the camera.
JMM7623ed-S.jpg

3. You will have a hard time guessing what this is! The light when taking this photo and a little contrast in post editing gave this image a look of hot lava. Can you guess?
JMMed7114-S.jpg

4. While you may be able to identify what this is, this is a borderline abstract. It has color, texture and randomness of lines which could be construde as "abstract" in some peoples minds. However, I know that most likely some will come up with shots such as these, and as long as the image fills the whole frame, it could be acceptable. But be aware that it might not do as well as a more creative shot!

idaho0187JMM08-S.jpg

The editing restrictions are written above!

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS 123 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge
Rules.

Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the rules!

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    I'm getting a 404 on the DSS 123 Entry Gallery link? headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2013
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I'm getting a 404 on the DSS 123 Entry Gallery link? headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Don

Thanks for letting me know Don! After several attempts at editing the html using my phone, I finally got the link to work. However, I will have to get on my computer at a decent hour to get the extra quotations off. Some reason it won't let me edit anymore. Keep getting page doesn't exist after hitting save. My phone keeps dropping the wireless connection.
  • Options
    bcgal00bcgal00 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    I've got a photo for the challenge to post but not sure where it should go. I can't seem to find the gallery. Can you tell me where my image should go? Thx.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2013
    bcgal00 wrote: »
    I've got a photo for the challenge to post but not sure where it should go. I can't seem to find the gallery. Can you tell me where my image should go? Thx.

The link is toward the bottom of the OP description. It looks like this: DSS 123 Entry Gallery

I put it toward the bottom in hopes that people read through the whole descriptions and rules!deal.gif
  • Options
    bcgal00bcgal00 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2013
    Thx. I'll go upload.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2013
    Even though no one wanted to guess what #3 was...I will tell you anyway. That is a very thin slice of banana that is laying on top of a white plastic cutting board, that is being held up by 4 glasses, so that my flash unit could set directly below it. Thus creating a lit up slice of banana that shows a seed. That was the day I learned that bananas had seeds!
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2013
    I never would have guessed!!!! (You didn't know that bananas had seeds? What have I been looking at all these years and thinking were seeds? They were way smaller than that looks)

Are we supposed to say what the thing is - I thought mystery was better.

Incidentally if you look you will see that the surface of mine is in focus at least the bottom of the photo which is part nearest to me - it's just that the thing I photographed had naturally soft edges on the dark parts
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    dbrannendbrannen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2013
    I have an image I would like to use but it was taken a couple of weeks ago. Your rules want the image to be "fresh" and I do not want to over step my bounds by submitting something out of place. Would this be acceptable or not?

Thank you!

David
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2013
    Feb 18th is a couple of weeks ago. Look at the date on the photo and see exactly when you took it. If it was after Feb 18th, you could use it. I lost one in the last challenge because the photo was taken at 3 pm EST and the challenge started at 8 pm Pacific time, so was outside the time frame even though it was the first day of the challenge.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    dbrannen wrote: »
    I have an image I would like to use but it was taken a couple of weeks ago. Your rules want the image to be "fresh" and I do not want to over step my bounds by submitting something out of place. Would this be acceptable or not?

Thank you!

David

I think the "freshness" rule, much like other challenge rules, is strictly enforced in these challenges. As such, the exact date and time recorded in your EXIF should be within the challenge period (in this case: February 18, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, March 4, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8)), or else your entry will just be DQ'ed.
  • Options
    dbrannendbrannen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    Thank you both for your answers. I checked the image and it was shot on the 15th so no go with that one. I guess I'll just have to go out and come up with something that will work.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    dbrannen wrote: »
    Thank you both for your answers. I checked the image and it was shot on the 15th so no go with that one. I guess I'll just have to go out and come up with something that will work.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :ivar
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    I entered my pic
    Here is the EXIF - Since I am india, it shows time in IST, which is "AFTER" this challenge ends as we are 13.5 hours ahead of PST.Do I need to mention this anywhere?
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=2392639685&ImageKey=zNzQwgn
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    I entered my pic
    Here is the EXIF - Since I am india, it shows time in IST, which is "AFTER" this challenge ends as we are 13.5 hours ahead of PST.Do I need to mention this anywhere?
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=2392639685&ImageKey=zNzQwgn

Thank you for mentioning it here that helps! In general, I look at it this way. When I put the closed sign in the challenge at the end of the time limit and an entry that was put in hours before as how yours shows, that tells me it was taken within the correct time frame. But had you have entered it after I put up the closed sign, then it would not be counted as part of the challenge. thumb.gif