Options

Alkali Lake

byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited March 26, 2013 in Landscapes
Last set from my recent trip to Mammoth lakes. Never been to the Alkali lake/Benton crossing area but it so close so I decided to check it out. Makes for some great 360 degree views.

eastern%20sierras%20milky%20way%20and%20stars-L.jpg

Milky%20way%20at%20alkali%20lake%20benton%20crossing%20eastern%20sierras-L.jpg

Milky%20way%20over%20the%20sierras%2C%20alkali%20lake%20benton%20crossing-L.jpg

alkali%20lake%20sunrise%20first%20light%20eastern%20sierras-L.jpg

alkali%20lake%20benton%20crossing%20eastern%20sierras-L.jpg

alkali%20lake%20sunset%20on%20eastern%20sierras-L.jpg

alkali%20lake%20sunset%20eastern%20sierras-L.jpg

Thats all for now, hope you enjoyed them.
Landscape and Nature photography
site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 24, 2013
    Some really excellent star photography here, Brandon. I also really like those first two sunset shots of the mountains. Looks like a great location. Really nice work. thumb.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited March 24, 2013
    Whoa! Those are all nice. The third posted shot just rocks! Living around Chicago, I can only dream of dark skies like those.

I. Must. Do. More. Road. Trips.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2013
    Wow! Your night sky photographs are stunning. The Milky Way is so bright and clear.
  • Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2013
    Nice photos. I especially love the first pano shot during daylight! Top effort..
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    You make it look easy! Can you give some info regarding the gear, exposure, and time of the night.....basically how the hell did you get these shots? Would like to replicate one of them! Remember....imitation is the greatest form of flattery....
  • Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    You make it look easy! Can you give some info regarding the gear, exposure, and time of the night.....basically how the hell did you get these shots? Would like to replicate one of them! Remember....imitation is the greatest form of flattery....

I assume you are talking about the star ones? All taken with the Nikon D7000 and Tokina 11-16mm. Each individual shot was taken at 30 secs, f/3.5, ISO-1600, matrix metered. These shots were taken around 1.5 hours before sunrise. As the sun gets close to rising, it washes out a lot of the stars so I made it a point to come early. You can use programs like Stellarium to see where certain points of interest in the sky will be at what time but I knew that the Milky way was going to be facing this way from seeing it the morning before at Convict lake. Also, depending on the season, it may be better to see the Milky Way after dusk as opposed to before dawn.

If you read reviews on how to take these shots, they all recommend shooting with a fast lens wide open to capture as much light as possible in the given timeframe since the camera will pick up much much more than your eye can see. The Tokina opens up to f/2.8 but I left myself a little room for error. There are also things like the rule of 600 where the maximum shutter speed should be 600/focal length but I took some 60-70 sec ones at Convict lake and could see some streaking, so decided to keep shutter to 30 secs max.

Test shots are a must since you can't see anything out there. I didn't have any foreground elements in the shot so I set the focus to infinity and took a test shot with the noise reduction off. If it's too dark/bright I just adjust the ISO until it looks decent. Then once I have the right exposure and comp, I turn on the noise reduction and take some shots.

Processed them in photoshop CS5, adjusted the curves, levels, and exposure to make the sky pop more. Used Topaz DeNoise plug in to help reduce a bit of the noise.

Foreground came out a bit dark in these, but I like how the light pollution kinda lights the Sierras. I think next time I will try multiple exposures, one for the stars and one for the foreground element and try blending them later.

Felt like I rambled a bit, but I hope that helped. Let me know if you have additional questions.
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    These are all beautiful, I like 3 an 4 the best. Have tried a little of the night stuff with my tokina 11-16, but have gotten nothing close to these results! Very sweet.
    Jared
    My Site
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    byoshi wrote: »
    I assume you are talking about the star ones? All taken with the Nikon D7000 and Tokina 11-16mm. Each individual shot was taken at 30 secs, f/3.5, ISO-1600, matrix metered. These shots were taken around 1.5 hours before sunrise. As the sun gets close to rising, it washes out a lot of the stars so I made it a point to come early. You can use programs like Stellarium to see where certain points of interest in the sky will be at what time but I knew that the Milky way was going to be facing this way from seeing it the morning before at Convict lake. Also, depending on the season, it may be better to see the Milky Way after dusk as opposed to before dawn.

If you read reviews on how to take these shots, they all recommend shooting with a fast lens wide open to capture as much light as possible in the given timeframe since the camera will pick up much much more than your eye can see. The Tokina opens up to f/2.8 but I left myself a little room for error. There are also things like the rule of 600 where the maximum shutter speed should be 600/focal length but I took some 60-70 sec ones at Convict lake and could see some streaking, so decided to keep shutter to 30 secs max.

Test shots are a must since you can't see anything out there. I didn't have any foreground elements in the shot so I set the focus to infinity and took a test shot with the noise reduction off. If it's too dark/bright I just adjust the ISO until it looks decent. Then once I have the right exposure and comp, I turn on the noise reduction and take some shots.

Processed them in photoshop CS5, adjusted the curves, levels, and exposure to make the sky pop more. Used Topaz DeNoise plug in to help reduce a bit of the noise.

Foreground came out a bit dark in these, but I like how the light pollution kinda lights the Sierras. I think next time I will try multiple exposures, one for the stars and one for the foreground element and try blending them later.

Felt like I rambled a bit, but I hope that helped. Let me know if you have additional questions.

THANKYOU!!! bowdown.gif