Options

Alex - Headshots

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 30, 2013 in People
Had a gal come over this afternoon for some headshots. We shot for just over an hour and got some really good stuff. I was in the process of culling so I can upload proofs when I found myself editing a couple of shots. :rofl She still needs to select the shots she wants but I liked these two.

DSC_1216-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_1073-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    REALLY nice. As you know, I'm more a natural/mixed light junkie, but in the context of studio shots these are terrific. LOVE the intensity/clarity of expression she's pumping out - very dynamic and alive in her eyes. Can't wait to see more!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Beautiful work! That 365 making a difference?
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Great shots, the second is my favorite.

Marcelo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Why did you shoot for over and hour? Force yourself to do 7 to 10 shots per outfit. Your good enough that you can do this. Lets see 1.5 hrs to shoot. 1 to 2 to cull and retouch then .5 to 1 hr to sell...........what is your profit per hour now? Not being mean just wanting to make your more efficient and professional. If you've got to shoot 200 to get 10 that's bad.

By the way, these are lovely, any with a 3/4 face view? Not the same main, any preference for main that you see?
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Her eyes look fantastic in #2. Good work.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    REALLY nice. As you know, I'm more a natural/mixed light junkie, but in the context of studio shots these are terrific. LOVE the intensity/clarity of expression she's pumping out - very dynamic and alive in her eyes. Can't wait to see more!!! thumb.gif

Thanks Diva. Your approval of the shots means a lot to me. iloveyou.gif
    cbbr wrote: »
    Beautiful work! That 365 making a difference?

Thanks. Huge difference! I have such a better understanding of studio lighting because of the 365. I also have developed a lighting style that I'm proud of and can replicate without any trouble. It's also helped me improve posing, composition and some of my technicals, especially focus. I shot 207 frames last night in about 45 minutes and I swear, not one of them was out of focus, all were completely usable shots sans a few where she blinked. I have a fluidity to my process now that I didn't before. I'm also better at directing. Best of all is that switching up my lights is fast, like second nature.
    Great shots, the second is my favorite.

Marcelo

Yes. I prefer #2 as well.

Here is another shot I edited. Again, not selected by her. Just one that I liked. Not even sure it makes for a good actor headshot but I dig it.

DSC_1106-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Why did you shoot for over and hour? Force yourself to do 7 to 10 shots per outfit. Your good enough that you can do this. Lets see 1.5 hrs to shoot. 1 to 2 to cull and retouch then .5 to 1 hr to sell...........what is your profit per hour now? Not being mean just wanting to make your more efficient and professional. If you've got to shoot 200 to get 10 that's bad.

By the way, these are lovely, any with a 3/4 face view? Not the same main, any preference for main that you see?

Hack... I actually overestimated the time I shot. I was going by the approximate time she arrived to when she left. I forgot that I spent quite a while trying to get my printer to work to print a model release form. Based on the capture time of the first shot to the last shot, it took me 40 minutes. That includes 8 different wardrobe changes. We were having fun and flowing well so I didn't mind the extra change of tops.

But you do give me some food for thought. I don't want to spin my wheels. I probably could have cranked this out in 30 minutes. I think I actually took more shots than I needed to simply because I felt compelled... I need to remind myself that they paying me because of my skill and the product, not the time they spend with me. It's easy for me to forget this stuff because I'm not paying my bills with my photography. However, I don't want to waste my time and I do plan on one day, relying more on my photography for my living so thank you for reminding me to put my wear business hat.
    Gotham wrote: »
    Her eyes look fantastic in #2. Good work.

Thanks.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013

I did shoot some 3/4 face views. I will post one up later. And no, not the same main. I switched half way through shoot from the 2x2' softbox to the 48" octobox. As far as preference, not really sure. I think for her, I lean towards the octo coming in from camera left. I found I liked more of the shots with this setup than the other.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Great shooting, pic 1 is top ! Great processing....
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Why did you shoot for over and hour? Force yourself to do 7 to 10 shots per outfit.

Just chiming in here from "the other side of the footlights"....: as a headshot client I'd feel completely gypped with only 7-10 shots per outfit; (20-50) would be closer to my expectations. The "magic number" I see listed in NY and LA headshot packages seems to be 200 for a full shoot (eg 3-4 hrs - less for shorter sessions, of course). Those would be proofs, not final edits, of course. A 45 minute session would be "mini session" IMO - clearly Alex nailed it and got the shots, but as a client I would feel like part of an assembly line wit that little time, and I would want a bit more of a chance to warm up and really get into it. I realise that for seniors/family sessions the smaller numbers and shorter sessions are the norm, but this is a different product and market..... ne_nau.gif

Oh and Alex - even on my current horrible screen, that last one is KILLER. Crop it landscape and it's a great headshot, IMO thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Diva,

I've done a lot of research on HS photogs here in LA and can confirm that most state that they take 20-40 shots per outfit and yes... anywhere from 2-4 hours for a full session. Rates go typically for anywhere from $200-450+ for the first 1-2 outfits (looks) with an incremental charge of about $100 for each additional outfit. 1 fully edited shot is included with each outfit. About $25 for each incremental edited shot requested. I priced myself on the lower end of this scale.

This girl was looking for 2 head-shots, a commercial and theatrical so I had planned a short session with only 2 outfit changes. It was quite an enjoyable session and she brought a few outfits with her so I decided to keep shooting. Did I make as much per hour as I do in my IT job? NO. Did I have more fun during the time shooting than I would in my IT job? HELL TO THE YES!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    ^^^ thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Do you really want to pick from 200 images? I used to do that and the clients were overwhelmed and could not make choices. When I say 7 to 10 per outfit if the shot isn't right don't take it or erase it. It's not hard once you get used to getting it right the first time. No offense to anyone but those folks who shoot 200-300 or more images are just shooting and spraying. I know I'll get flamed for that and maybe hurt some feelings but you should have more confidence in your abilities.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Do you really want to pick from 200 images? I used to do that and the clients were overwhelmed and could not make choices. When I say 7 to 10 per outfit if the shot isn't right don't take it or erase it. It's not hard once you get used to getting it right the first time. No offense to anyone but those folks who shoot 200-300 or more images are just shooting and spraying. I know I'll get flamed for that and maybe hurt some feelings but you should have more confidence in your abilities.

I totally agree with this. Maybe a "headshot" shooter does it that way and are getting paid up front with that concept figured into the price for their work, but if you're doing regular photography as a business, not part time, not as an "extra money" type thing and you shoot 200 shots per sitting, you will eventually go out of business. *Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

(*credit Humphry Bogart - Casa Blanca)

BTW Alex, these are spectacular! PP is just right.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    I don't disagree with you guys, Bryce and Chuck. I think Diva and I are just stating was in the norm for this type of photography. I actually culled the 200 shots down to 70. Not because 130 were not usable. Only because I had a hard time choosing between them. I can't speak for other HS photographers and the images they get but the difference between some shots were so subtle, it made no sense for me to have her try and choose. So I went through them and used the grouping tool in LR. I then picked the best shot in each group. Some had two because I couldn't choose. I probably could have narrowed it down to even fewer shots but in the end, the photos she chooses are going to be used to basically sell herself. There may be a very subtle change in her expression that will make her love one shot over another.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013

No flames, dearest Hack, it's just a different process with a different mo. The extra shots is nothing to do with confidence in photographic abilities, but in wanting to ensure the client has enough choices to find the shot that works for them (rather than for the photographer).
    in the end, the photos she chooses are going to be used to basically sell herself. There may be a very subtle change in her expression that will make her love one shot over another.

^^ This.

When I've had my own headshots done I have most definitely wanted that many to choose from. Sometimes the tiniest variant of expression in a series will better capture what I want to present to a company or audience, and I LOVE being able to choose from lots!!

As a photographer I hate it because it means I have so many shots to wade through, but I always try to deliver the service I would want if I was sitting in front of the camera instead of standing behind it..... :)
    I totally agree with this. Maybe a "headshot" shooter does it that way and are getting paid up front with that concept figured into the price for their work

Exactly. It's a completely different business model. thumb.gif Remember, too, they are initially delivered as proofs rather than edited final images, with only a few fully edited after client selection. Yes, if you shoot raw you have to do basic processing, but that's it on the "first pass".
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    W Remember, too, they are initially delivered as proofs rather than edited final images, with only a few fully edited after client selection.

But your delivering proofs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!==================extra cost.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    I'm not understanding - how is that extra cost for me? I process them and upload them - not delivering on paper or CD (some togs do; I prefer to keep them online). Proofs are low-rez and typically unretouched, so they're not much use to the client until I pass on the final edit to them. Not trying to be argumentative, Hack, just trying to understand what you meant......
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    I took proofs to be paper.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Gotcha. No, not paper. I hate printing for many reasons, not least of which cost!!
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Simply outstanding. Although I can't produce the same quality, I can certainly see the improvement in your work from the start of your 365 to now. These are top notch, upper tier professional even. I realize I am in a lowly mid-west town, but there are very few around here putting out this type of quality. I am sure that is different in LA, but you should have no problem shifting to the pro role with product like this. Keep it up!!!

Just out of curiosity, may I ask what PP you do on the skin? I have no intention of putting a lot of money into software, but I am always curious as to what people are doing, especially if I enjoy their work. From the SOC images of your wife I know you don't do much, just curious. :-)
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Thanks Phil. That's nice of you to say.

My PP on the skin is not complicated at all. I start by cleaning up any major blemishes, bumps, wrinkles with a combination of the healing brush tool and the clone stamp tool. The latter, I shift between normal, lighten and darken mode, depending on what I'm trying to remove. This step could be real quick for someone that has decent skin or a little intense if they don't. For example, the gal in these shots has a little bit of acne on her forehead. Lots of little bumps. Took me about 10 minutes to heal all of them out. Once I have the big stuff cleaned up, I then run a plug-in called Imagenomic Portraiture. It has quite a few sliders and adjustments but I simply use the Normal preset. It literally takes me 2 clicks to run it. The effect comes back as a new layer which I then adjust the opacity on. I normally set it to about 40-50% opacity. Sometimes, I will add a mask and remove the effect further in selective spots, like exposed arms and neck/chest. Once that's done, I create a stamp of all the layers so far and I run the smart sharpen filter on Lens Blur mode and about 2.4 px and 60-70%.

That's it. May sound like a lot but it doesn't take me long at all.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Can I say the best new retouching methohad I have recently found was posted by our own Kris Fulk? I have tried this and it gives far better results than anything I have tried to date. I do sometimes use Portrait Professional and a few other actions (or from-scratch methods), but this is really terrific stuff. VERY impressed with the results (thanks again, Kris!).

http://blog.krisfulk.com/retouching-frequency-separation/

I also really like the "foundation" and "deblotch" actions in the newest Totally Rad retouch set; there are a few in that collection that I find helpful.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Can I say the best new retouching methohad I have recently found was posted by our own Kris Fulk? I have tried this and it gives far better results than anything I have tried to date. I do sometimes use Portrait Professional and a few other actions (or from-scratch methods), but this is really terrific stuff. VERY impressed with the results (thanks again, Kris!).

http://blog.krisfulk.com/retouching-frequency-separation/

I also really like the "foundation" and "deblotch" actions in the newest Totally Rad retouch set; there are a few in that collection that I find helpful.

Diva. I've tried the Frequency Separation and I found it more time consuming than my current process. However, I didn't give it more than a couple tries so it may be something that gets fast as you get more experience with it. I do like the results though and I know its one of the tried and trusted ways.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Yeah, it's a little more time-consuming, but I didn't find it particularly torturous on the images I used it on. I sure liked the control and the results thumb.gif
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Thanks Alex, and Diva. I will read through that as well. I like to make life (and most of my hobbies) more challenging via my love of Linux. Photography and Video editing are the two areas that I have found I really am limited, or at least at a disadvantage. As it is a hobby I can take the time to experiment, and I do fairly well. I have yet to be happy with a true close up of anyone but a baby. Hopefully this will improve. There is much to be gleaned from your process though. Thanks!!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2013
    Thinking about how many shots this morning............when you had your portrait made by Rembrandt I wonder how many proofs your got? Even when he was" A Guy With A Brush" I'll bet you got only one.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Every headshot photographer I know of shoots 100+ shots for performers (usually fewer for corporate headshot sessions), where the exact expression and look is vital to the performer's career. I would never give a performer 5-10 shots from a look and expect him/her to be happy with the session. Sometimes their favorite shot is one of the first, sometimes it's the last, and most of the time it's one of the many in the middle. It's more work, but they get a much better product.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2013
    I realize there are a lot of factors that go into how many shots just trying go get folks to stop spraying and think. I believe this is a demon photographers have created. When and if you shot film how many did you shoot then? Bet it was a lot less, what really changed since then and I don't' t mean digital.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2013
    Last time I had film headshots done, it was 3x36 rolls of film in the package (with a per-roll charge for extra rolls above and beyond that). I was a student so went with only the included rolls and that still gave me 108 shots to choose from.