Options

Whisper in her ear

RanORanO Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited April 3, 2013 in Wildlife
Hi,

I'm new to smugmug and would appreciate any comments/reviews :)

Here is one of my Wildlife images:
http://www.ranofekphotography.com/Art/Wildlife/28083920_Xdp79L#!i=2372902211&k=Zpwn3vr

Thank you.
Ran Ofek Photography
www.ranofekphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Welcome to the wildlife forum! My first suggestion is to learn how to post so that your photos will show up in your post, rather than just a link, because so many more people will look. It is easy, and the smugmug support heros will help you if you need it. Second, your watermark in the middle of the photo will make it harder for people to see it well enough to offer their best advice. Try reposting with a smaller watermark in a corner.

Best, Pam
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    You just got very good advice
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2013
    Thank you :)
    PGM wrote: »
    Welcome to the wildlife forum! My first suggestion is to learn how to post so that your photos will show up in your post, rather than just a link, because so many more people will look. It is easy, and the smugmug support heros will help you if you need it. Second, your watermark in the middle of the photo will make it harder for people to see it well enough to offer their best advice. Try reposting with a smaller watermark in a corner.

Best, Pam

Thank you Pam and J..
    Here is my second attempt :) you can go into my gellery at: http://www.ranofekphotography.com/Art/Wildlife/

I'd appreciate any comments/remarks on my pictures and my site :)
    thank you,

IMG_9442-M.jpg
    Ran Ofek Photography
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    I really like this photo. It grabs and holds my attention immediately.
    Great colour contrast between lioness and vegetation. The carpet of textured plants really adds an unusual backdrop to the image.
    My only concern is that the lioness is uncomfortably close to the edge of the frame - it certainly leaves a lot of room for it to look through but I would love to see a version where it had more room behind and above her. I think this would anchor her in the image as the main focus rather than the sense of "intruder" poking into the corner of the image.
    This is an image I could see framed as a large print and as part of a series about the quiet intimacy of the lioness.

I'm not trying to flame the thread ... and I understand that no watermarks in the middle is the usual point of view in forums, but ......
    your watermark is so subtle that, in some cases you can hardly see it. In my mind, photographers are good at "seeing" and being able to see an image amongst the chaos of life. For me, photographers could easily look past your watermark and see the image below. But that's just my opinion. You have obviously decided to watermark your photos for a reason so do that and post "clean" images for critiquing.
    If you are going to watermark though, I think you need a light accent to it as well - so that it will be visible on both dark and light backgrounds.
    People sensitive about watermarking would probably "turn their toes up" if they looked at mine rolleyes1.gif
    definitely "in-your-face" ... but I have made a very conscious decision to do it that way for a reason. Other photographers will have a different agenda and I respect their decisions to do what works for them. iloveyou.gif
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2013
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    I really like this photo. It grabs and holds my attention immediately.
    Great colour contrast between lioness and vegetation. The carpet of textured plants really adds an unusual backdrop to the image.
    My only concern is that the lioness is uncomfortably close to the edge of the frame - it certainly leaves a lot of room for it to look through but I would love to see a version where it had more room behind and above her. I think this would anchor her in the image as the main focus rather than the sense of "intruder" poking into the corner of the image.
    This is an image I could see framed as a large print and as part of a series about the quiet intimacy of the lioness.

I'm not trying to flame the thread ... and I understand that no watermarks in the middle is the usual point of view in forums, but ......
    your watermark is so subtle that, in some cases you can hardly see it. In my mind, photographers are good at "seeing" and being able to see an image amongst the chaos of life. For me, photographers could easily look past your watermark and see the image below. But that's just my opinion. You have obviously decided to watermark your photos for a reason so do that and post "clean" images for critiquing.
    If you are going to watermark though, I think you need a light accent to it as well - so that it will be visible on both dark and light backgrounds.
    People sensitive about watermarking would probably "turn their toes up" if they looked at mine rolleyes1.gif
    definitely "in-your-face" ... but I have made a very conscious decision to do it that way for a reason. Other photographers will have a different agenda and I respect their decisions to do what works for them. iloveyou.gif

Thank you SO much for your remarks, Ace!
    This image is not croped, but I will think about that the next time I compose my wildlife shots :)

P.S - I'm afraid that people would "steal" my images from forums that I agree with you about the watermarking.. and if you notice very carefully it is even hidden in this one mwink.gif

P.P.S - I LOVE your site! (and I see your point about photographers "ignoring" the watermarks..

thanks again.
    Ran Ofek Photography