Options

HS Girls LAX

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited April 25, 2013 in Sports
I thought I'd share some shots from last week. Since last season, the local high school has installed a turf field and new (hooray!) lighting. Seems about a half to 2/3 stop brighter and much more even from end to end. The plastic grass is more reflective though, so I find myself having to knock down the luminance in the green and yellow.

Thanks for looking. Any comments or criticism welcome.

1. ISO 6400 1/640 f/2.8
_JWS7791-XL.jpg

2. ISO 6400 1/400 f/2.8
_JWS7769-XL.jpg

3. ISO 6400 1/500 f/2.8
_JWS7984-XL.jpg

4. ISO 6400 1/500 f/2.8
_JWS7863-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Love #4 - terrific perspective/POV
    Her posture produces a tension of "when is she going to pull the trigger?"
    I really like the cleanness and clarity here.
    Ooooh the action changes so quickly in LAX ... it is so good when you nail a moment.
    Great job.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Thank, Ace. I appreciate your comments. I've found that the best place to be is well behind the end-line, about half way between the goal and the sideline. That way you get faces. Shooting from the sidelines has not been as successful for me. The angles change too fast, and I get fewer good face shots. I end up getting mostly backs. By staying well back from the end-line with a long lens, I don't make the game officials nervous, plus the angles don't change so fast.
    John :
  • Options
    fitzfotosfitzfotos Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2013
    Good use some tips
    I shoot mens D1 Lacrosse , I am not a pro I do it for the school . Have been shooting mostly sports boys middle school years . I keep practicing and practicing .. buying better and WAY more expensive equipment . I am using a Canon D1 mark 111 , and mostly my new ( used ) 300mm 2.8 . I also just learned about back focus . Saturdays game was my first ( at night :cry ) Took a ton of pictures but got a ton of - bad shoots . Should I be holding the back focus at the same time as the shutter .. or hit the BF and release ??? Any other tis would be greatly appreciate .
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2013
    fitzfotos wrote: »
    also just learned about back focus . Saturdays game was my first ( at night :cry ) Took a ton of pictures but got a ton of - bad shoots . Should I be holding the back focus at the same time as the shutter .. or hit the BF and release ???

Hi Fitz, I think you must be referring to what Nikon calls the AF-ON button. "Back focus" is the term that describes a problem wherein a camera is focusing farther away than the intended focus point. I don't think that's what you're asking about.

As for whether to use the AF button to do your focusing, or rely on half-pressing the shutter button, you'll get LOTS of opposing opinions on that. I never had a lot of success with it. I no longer use it for sports. I like to use 3D tracking, dynamic area autofocus, whereby the camera tracks the subject as it moves in the viewfinder if you keep the shutter button half or full pressed. I don't know from Canon, but I suspect you have this option, whatever Canon calls it. The 1D MkIII is a great sports body.

Why don't you start a thread with some of your problematic shots. You'll get a lot of help here. You don't really even need a particularly thick skin. There's usually not too much gratuitous bashing.
    John :
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2013
    Number four is really great. Really like the framing.
    Regards

Will
    edited April 25, 2013
    Thanks Will!
    John :