Options

Google Email

13»

Comments

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I will continue to work with our Ops team to see if there was another, additional issue that would have cause this additional spike.

This is not an additional spike. It's the same problem. There are no "spikes" in any of the screen shots other than the first one. While they are tapering off, the rate is a lot slower than we've been told to expect.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited April 16, 2013
    I will continue to work with our Ops team to see if there was another, additional issue that would have cause this additional spike.
    This isn't an additional spike - the errors started on March 30th, increased over the next several days, then dropped to around 3700 and stayed there. There has been no improvement (on my site) after the initial drop; the errors have stayed constant for the last 10 days.

You can see the pattern on my site in the image I added to my post from yesterday.

--- Denise
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    I am still seeing the same number of errors as before. It has not dropped off at all since it started up two weeks or so back.

Thanks
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    Yesterday.....
    I got another missive from Google dated April 15th, same problem.....

Cheers
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2013
    I'm also getting the Google e-mails again for the last 2 days.
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2013
    I don't know about everyone else, but my Google impressions are also down since 3/31

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 6.56.16 AM.jpg
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    OK, it's been 20 days of errors in the +2000-3000K range. This is not acceptable.
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Another day, another email from Google. :poke
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Same here and the errors haven't gone down in number. This makes 5 emails for the month of April.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Sorry, I have nothing new to add but I did want to bring this back into the conversation. The errors are from Google sending SmugMug too much bot traffic. The errors are from bots, not humans. You can verify your site is working properly by checking the post below.
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    If you are technical, you can verify that you site works for googlebot by running:

curl -L -I -A "Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.google.com/bot.html)"
    http://www.ronlutzii-photographer.com/
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    The 48th RoninThe 48th Ronin Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Mine went through the roof on March 29 also. From 0 to 1300 and I just got another report, April 22, 2013. Has been steady at about 1200 for the last month!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Mine went through the roof on March 29 also. From 0 to 1300 and I just got another report, April 22, 2013. Has been steady at about 1200 for the last month!

Understood...but as Zach mentions above, we are not doing anything differently. This is 100% due to to the increase of bot traffic and the way that Google is applying that information to your webmaster tools. There really is nothing we can do about it. We have fully verified that there is nothing to do on our end to correct this. We still expect the Google reported bot errors to go down in your Webmaster tools.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Michael
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    I'm in the same boat, 4 emails this month. Started on 31st March, peaked on 4th April and has reduced slightly from 3358 to 2607.
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    I've had 5 emails since March 31 as well
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2013
    Understood...but as Zach mentions above, we are not doing anything differently. This is 100% due to to the increase of bot traffic and the way that Google is applying that information to your webmaster tools. There really is nothing we can do about it. We have fully verified that there is nothing to do on our end to correct this. We still expect the Google reported bot errors to go down in your Webmaster tools.

Michael

I have gotten four emails from google bots and was actually told by Sean in a web based Webinar that you guys if I came with a outline of the problem would be able to fix the problem. So now you are telling us that SmugMug has done everything they can do and can't fix the problem? So may I ask which is it?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2013
    ko04 wrote: »
    I have gotten four emails from google bots and was actually told by Sean in a web based Webinar that you guys if I came with a outline of the problem would be able to fix the problem. So now you are telling us that SmugMug has done everything they can do and can't fix the problem? So may I ask which is it?

If there was something we could fix, I assure you we would. But we cannot control Google bots or the way they display errors in the Webmaster tools. As much as we wish we could, we simply cannot. We have changed nothing on our end, and there are no errors that have any impact on your site. These are simply generated by Google sending way to many bots. As we have mentioned, they have fixed their problem with the crawl bots, but they also apparently haven't been able to submit all of the errors through Google WebMaster tools in a timely manner.

Your sites are still being crawled and have good SEO, and your customers are not seeing 503 errors.

Google should correct this behaviour, but that may take them some time. In the meantime, you'll see from the other "Health" pages in Webmaster Tools that your site is otherwise healthy.

Sean most likely didn't know the situation that we have investigated, and thought this was something that we could correct.

Michael
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2013

Michael
    If there was something we could fix, I assure you we would. But we cannot control Google bots or the way they display errors in the Webmaster tools. As much as we wish we could, we simply cannot. We have changed nothing on our end, and there are no errors that have any impact on your site. These are simply generated by Google sending way to many bots. As we have mentioned, they have fixed their problem with the crawl bots, but they also apparently haven't been able to submit all of the errors through Google WebMaster tools in a timely manner.

Your sites are still being crawled and have good SEO, and your customers are not seeing 503 errors.

Google should correct this behaviour, but that may take them some time. In the meantime, you'll see from the other "Health" pages in Webmaster Tools that your site is otherwise healthy.

Sean most likely didn't know the situation that we have investigated, and thought this was something that we could correct.

Michael

Michael,
    Thank you for your answer thats all I wanted I firm and clear answer on yes or no you can or can't. SmugMug is a great service and has been very good to me over the years. I know that if you could you would fix it so I will trust that this is the truth and move forward from here. Again thank you for you reply and I wish you and SmugMug the best in going forward with any other issues that may come up.

Sincerely,
    KO Photography
  • Options
    ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2013
    I'm getting a HTTP 503 error when I try to add my sitemap with google webmaster tools. Seems they can't fetch the robots.txt file and hence decide not to try to fetch the sitemap either.

Could Smugmug allow Google to fetch these key resources even though Google has exceeded whatever Smugmug considers acceptable amount of traffic for generally crawling the site?

Thanks!
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • Options
    DMBoomDMBoom Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2013
    Speaking of this: It's been almost two months since the first increase in errors, and I still have 402 crawl errors... It is slowly decreasing (I started with 729) but it's still alarmingly high...
    The wisest men follow their own direction - Euripides

http://www.desiree-fotografie.nl
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2013
    Hi Desiree,

We are still not sending errors to Google. This is still entirely on Googles side, unfortunately. I will reiterate again, this has zero effect on actual users seeing your site, or your Google search rank.

Thanks!

Michael