Options

5dIII or 70-200 2.8 II?

2»

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    Update on this: I still desperately want better AF than the 5dII can give me, but the lens is magical. MAGICAL. I'm even (almost) getting used to the weight. Am now saving for and hoping upgrade to the 5d3 next time it has a price drop (or flash sale, or refurb sale or whatever), because those two together will indeed give me all the features I need to do what I want with a whole lot less effort. :)

Btw, I did a bunch of dog show pictures at the weekend - it was a tough call, but even though I knew the light would be ghastly at the indoor venue and I'd be shooting at high ISOs (1600-2000 in the end) I chose the 7d for it's faster AF and greater reach. Took the 70-200 as my only lens ("to keep weight down" - HA!!! That's funny lol). Was the right choice, as even the 7d struggled to lock sometimes in the HORRIBLE indoor lighting. However, it still gave me some verrrry nice pictures. Point here being - while the 7d can't match full frame for high ISO, it is no slouch if you work with what it can do thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    Sling strap for your 5d2
    I see a lot of people lamenting camera/lens weight. My suggestion...get a sling strap...like or similar to the Black Rapids RS-7. You won't believe the difference. Just like you didn't believe the difference between your 200 f4 and the 200 f.28.

Borrow one...rent one...then buy one. I've walked all over Key West...through sever multi-day shoots and always hated hanging my beast over my shoulder...keeping it there with my elbow. Then, I bought an
    RS-7. It's like night and day...I couldn't believe that I waited so long...and if you look at the equipment list that's on Matt's employer's website...that's what they use. If you didn't know better, you'd swear that your lens fell off of your camera body. Not only is it more comfortable, but it looks more professional, if for no other reason than it's different...setting you apart from the uncle bill's and other would be pro look-a-likes runing around out there.

Just my two cents. But, I don't think you can go wrong with a sling...anything is better than the rag they call a camera strap...the one that ships with your camera...ugh...

I'll never go back. I could go on and on...but...nuff said.

I hope this helps...

Congrats on the new 2.8...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2013
    I have an optech strap which I love; I can switch it to a sling (I have the adapter), but I never feel 100% comfortable with them that way. I will say the "bouncy" strap does make quite a big difference in general; I'll never go back to using a normal, unpadded one.....
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    BTW...really like your dog portrait. Nice tonal range, bokeh, post processing and use of back lighting. I know I shouldn't say this, but it's nice to see some posted work that actually looks like a portrait instead of a snap shot taken with a very expensive camera.

Good work.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Looking pro is a thing I try to avoid as much as possible.
    Most of the time ppl. look like some kind of mac guyver
    wanna-be-professional with all these strings hanging from
    them anyhow.

I prefer a toploader for my 70-200 w/gripped camera. It
    allows tucking away the camera from sight and I don't
    need to carry another camera bag with me.

I use the LowePro Toploader 75 AW right now. Thinktank
    and other brands have similar bags as well.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2013
    Thanks for the kind words, Ed - it was a lucky catch as my friend's Beardie was in gorgeous light by the shed door (the ONLY natural light in the place!) and I just grabbed it as something caught his attention and he adopted the perfect pose. This guy is a many-times-over champion, so I also had a great subject to work with!!!

I'd have preferred to be shooting the 5d2's ISO (I'd have gone to 2500 I suspect instead of trying to keep it down to 1600), but the AF would have been horrible - useless - in that environment. Which brings me back to really wanting a 5d3.... time to save those pennies!