Options

Redwoods Planning

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited June 7, 2013 in Landscapes
I know, I know, this belongs in locations but it is looking really dead over there. Headed to the north coast of California 7/5 thru 7/8, back down to SF 7/8 to 7/10. Could use some planning/location intel.

Comments

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2013
    CA Highway 1 north from San Francisco will take you up some of the best coastal scenery and put you up in the Redwoods, only drawback is the time to make the drive.
    US 101 is a quicker route to the Redwoods for it is 4 lane most of the way it turns into 2 lane when you hit the redwoods.
    There are groves of redwoods close to SF but due to the dry winter and spring it might not be as photogenic as the ones up around Eureka. you will hit Groves once passing Legget Ca and there are several from there to Eureka, with roads (Ave of the Giants) running parallel to 101. The above Arcata the Redwoods kick in again. It is a large area with so much to see.
    Humbolt State Park, Richardson Grove are good spots

I think the rodedendrons bloom might be past now

Highway 1 will give you a bit of everthing coastal scenes, big trees, lighthouses, you could spend 3 days at Pt Reyes National seashore alone, Armstrong Redwoods State Park near Guernville is one of the best closest to SF but then I have not explored Muirwoods to much. But it is the closst Redwoods to SF
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2013
    Right now the plan is to stay in Arcata but reservations are not made yet. How long is the drive on 1 vs 101 SF to Arcata?
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2013
    Right now the plan is to stay in Arcata but reservations are not made yet. How long is the drive on 1 vs 101 SF to Arcata?

279 miles and 5 hours on the 101

319 miles and 8 hours on Highway 1

Highway 1 would take way longer than that just due to you will want to stop and take pictures because of all the oppurtunites
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2013
    Being that we are coming in on the end of the 4th holiday, I'm thinking we need to get north of SF as far and fast as we can. My plan is to take the 101 to Arcata, plane lands around 9:30am on 7/5. Hopefully everybody is coming South as we head North. Back to SF late Monday afternoon for two days of meetings and then back home to Michigan.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2013
    Being that we are coming in on the end of the 4th holiday, I'm thinking we need to get north of SF as far and fast as we can. My plan is to take the 101 to Arcata, plane lands around 9:30am on 7/5. Hopefully everybody is coming South as we head North. Back to SF late Monday afternoon for two days of meetings and then back home to Michigan.

Happy Trails Hope you enjoy the trip and get some good shots
    Chris K. NANPA Member