Options

haze to portrait?

tatetate Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited July 1, 2013 in People
Hello! I did a session yesterday and it was overcast... used my speedlight and images looked good on LCD... but when I got home and uploaded, the pictures all seem to have a haze to them.. and its not tack sharp... Of course, I didnt shoot raw ....so just wondered your thoughts and if this can be corrected after the fact. Have a session today and its overcast so hoping the same thing doesnt happen... I will shoot raw that is for sure! LOL Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2013
    I can't tell for sure because there is no EXIF data with the image, but it looks to me like it might be either an exposure problem from using an automatic setting on your camera and the direction of light, or a bit of flare from the brightness of the background.

I took the liberty of correcting exposure on this image. It's not perfect, but I do think it's better.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2013
    Agree with Bryce on the cause. Similar to blasting flash at a white studio background to blow it out, but if you go too far it spills back on front and looks just like this. Look at your histogram when you shoot and I think it will tell a different story than your LCD. Probably would do just fine with a reflector to lighten up faces rather than your speedlight, but either works depending on final look you want. Also, I would level the horizon for final print or hopefully in camera.

After that, I kind of like the 'hazy' look. Play with it a bit and lean to overexposure without going too far and you might like the results, especially with your subjects.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2013
    I can't tell for sure because there is no EXIF data with the image, but it looks to me like it might be either an exposure problem from using an automatic setting on your camera and the direction of light, or a bit of flare from the brightness of the background.

I took the liberty of correcting exposure on this image. It's not perfect, but I do think it's better.

Thanks... I just looked and I had put it in Aperture Priority mode.. (usually I shoot in Manuel, but figured to try the A mode cause of the overcast sky) I was at f 5.6 and 1/250, ISO 200..........
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2013
    Agree with Bryce on the cause. Similar to blasting flash at a white studio background to blow it out, but if you go too far it spills back on front and looks just like this. Look at your histogram when you shoot and I think it will tell a different story than your LCD. Probably would do just fine with a reflector to lighten up faces rather than your speedlight, but either works depending on final look you want. Also, I would level the horizon for final print or hopefully in camera.

After that, I kind of like the 'hazy' look. Play with it a bit and lean to overexposure without going too far and you might like the results, especially with your subjects.

Oh I didnt realize that. I dont mind the hazy but the boys dont have that tack sharp to their features. I think this will look great in black & white.. :) I have a reflector..do you think in an instance like this it would have been best to use the white side rather than the gold? Its hard sometimes too with the kids..they usually dont sit still long enough.. I had a session today and I made sure I was in RAW & Jpeg....
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2013
    I would definitely use the white reflector. Gold would warm it up way too much, good for a sunset maybe. Just lay the reflector on the ground as close as you can without getting it in the shot. This would throw light up into the taller child's face without risking blowing the white shirts out with flash. Meter carefully--the white shirts will tend to underexpose you.

Shot is probably actually in focus, but the light coming back at you is diffracting enough due to the overexposure that it is diffusing your image.

By getting the 'correct' exposure for the scene and noting it, you can then start bumping into slight overexposure to see what effect you like. Review the EXIF to see how which exposure gives you the look you want. But again, white shirts are a challenge to take right up to the point of blow out.

Let's see the next round!
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2013
    I would definitely use the white reflector. Gold would warm it up way too much, good for a sunset maybe. Just lay the reflector on the ground as close as you can without getting it in the shot. This would throw light up into the taller child's face without risking blowing the white shirts out with flash. Meter carefully--the white shirts will tend to underexpose you.

Shot is probably actually in focus, but the light coming back at you is diffracting enough due to the overexposure that it is diffusing your image.

By getting the 'correct' exposure for the scene and noting it, you can then start bumping into slight overexposure to see what effect you like. Review the EXIF to see how which exposure gives you the look you want. But again, white shirts are a challenge to take right up to the point of blow out.

Let's see the next round!

Thanks! I never thought about putting the reflector on the ground near them........ hummm.... this was a spur of the moment shot but I will remember that for next time...