Options

Droste Effect - How I Did It.

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited July 14, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I posted a photo yesterday of my interpretation of the theme "Optical Illusion" of DSS #92. I thought I'd share how I did it so here you go...

First off, I used Pixel Blender which is a plugin for Photoshop. You can get the plugin for CS5 here for free:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/pixelbenderplugin/

You'll also need to download the Droste filter file that you copy to the Pixel Blender directory. You can can get it here along with some brief instructions on how to use it. It's also free. I love free stuff :clap
http://www.subblue.com/projects/droste

OK... so I decided to use a different image just to make sure I can actually get the effect right a second time. The first time was total trial and error. Additionally, that first photo was a bit disturbing so I'm sparing you from looking at it. :deal

I took a shot of myself in the mirror, uploaded it to Lightroom and then to CS5. This is what I started with:

Screen-shot-2011-12-20-at-XL.png

I unlocked the layer by dragging the little lock icon on the layer pallet down to the trashcan. This would allow me to erase part of the image. I then erased the inside of the lens since I wanted to "frame" the recurring image inside of it. 100 different ways to erase a selection... since it's a perfect circle that I wanted to remove, I just selected a round brush and adjusted it to size. Ended up with this:

Now I was ready to run it through the filter. Go to Filter>Pixel Blender>Pixel Blender Gallery to open the filter utility.

First thing I did is set the sliders to the size of my image. Then I adjusted the "radiusinside" slider to get the size of the inside image to fit in the lens. Then I unchecked the "transparentoutside" box since the outside of the image is not transparent. Then I moved the "centershift" sliders to get recurring image lined up inside the lens. Last, I played with the "center" sliders to move the overall image up and down. I went back and tweaked each slider until I got everything perfect and closed the filter. I then edited the image as I wanted and viola:

DSC4899-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Thanks for the simple to follow tutorial on a very fun effect. Might actually need to try this one! :D

Sherry
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Good stuff, Alex. It's always easier when someone explains in layman's term.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    LatinoooLatinooo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Thanks a lot .. it was really helpful :)
    I'm not a pro, so I'm learning..

I'm not nothing, so I am who I am ..

Here is my place
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Really appreciate your sharing this info. (I don't know from optical illusions myself in terms of creating them.) I was quite taken with your challenge entry-definitely kept me looking and wondering. Thanks, GP
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Very cool... I need to get CS5... right now I just have Elements 10... so no pixelbender for me. :(
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    Very cool... I need to get CS5... right now I just have Elements 10... so no pixelbender for me. :(

Actually, you can download a stand alone version of Pixel Blender. You can find it here, top right of page. There is a version for Mac and one for Windows:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbender.html
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Actually, you can download a stand alone version of Pixel Blender. You can find it here, top right of page. There is a version for Mac and one for Windows:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbender.html

Sweet! Thanks... I'll have to download that and play when I get home tonight! :ivar
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Glad to see you back in the Challenges forum...challenging us, as usual. I think the last time I saw you here you were up to your wazoo remodeling a bathroom or a house or something like that.

This is a very cool tool. Thanks for shairng it with us.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    Can I say, I really like this one! :)

Ben
  • Options
    Ayman FouadAyman Fouad Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2013
    hi .. i did all the steps to download the filter into my pS 5 and still cant show it in the filter menu !!! can u help me with this please !
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,853 moderator
    edited July 13, 2013
    A wonderful use of an interesting effect.

In addition to using Pixel Bender, a similar Droste Effect is available in the GIMP, using G'MIC.

http://gmic.sourceforge.net/gimp.shtml

It is simply called "Droste" and available in the "Arrays & Frames".
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2013
    Very cool, indeed!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com