Options

The new Fuji X100S

2»

Comments

• Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    PS, I use Aperture, so the Raw images are imported with the JPEGs, but then can be edited only using an external editor, or in camera. I haven't had an image that has required Raw processing yet though, the jpegs really are that good.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 10, 2013
    studio1972 wrote: »
    I've recently bought a 100s and X-E1 ....

Disadvantages

- No servo focus mode
    I've been looking pretty hard at this camera, but that could be a killer. Getting any "fun" shots of my toddler is impossible without continuous/servo focus.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    i'm just drooling over the quality of the JPGs out of this thing and the sharpness... everything... seriously the quality is just incredible and the idea of just going JPG and never having the edit raw --- that IS seriously tempting!!! talk about a time saver....

oh man... but i shouldn't be tempted... it's $$$$ :cry
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    Got mine today, coincidentally along with the 35/2 IS that I had ordered. I'll be returning the 35/2 unopened. I can tell this is the candid camera I've been waiting for. I love the aperture ring on the lens where it belongs, and the shutter speed dial on top - reminds me of my old K1000. And they click positively but smoothly. The whole thing has a nice heft to it, and it feels like a quality item. I distinctly did NOT get that impression from the Olympus OM-D that I handled in a store. Size-wise, I am totally fine to carry this thing in a loose pants pocket all day. It doesn't quite disappear in there, but it's no problem, IMO. This will be the perfect camera at Disney next week.

IQ is yet to be fully tested by me, as our weather was flat gray today, but I have a few nits about function:

1, I don't see why they couldn't have put 1/3-stop detents on the aperture ring. As it is, you can only select full stops, and then you can select 1/3-stops with the horizontal command switch under your thumb on the back. There is plenty of space between stops on the ring, so I don't understand. Oh well, no biggie.

2, the horizontal command switch on the back seems to be mostly redundant. So far all I can tell is it's only useful for selecting the aperture 1/3 stops, and changing ISO or whatever the function button is set to do while the camera is up to your eye. If I were in charge I'd just do away with it and put a proper thumb grip there. My thumb wants to rest on it or right next to it.

3, the lever on the front that toggles between OVF and EVF when you pull it to the right should also perform DOF Preview if you push it to the left, like my old Pentax MX.

But overall, it's a beautiful, satisfying camera. For people who treasure manual shooting, tactile handling, high IQ, and holding something nice in your hands, all in a portable, discrete package, Fuji seems to be the only people who "get it" other than Leica. My other camera is a 5D3, for context.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    FloodFlood Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2013
    Oh well, no biggie. 2, the horizontal command switch on the back seems to be mostly redundant.

You know that you can press that switch?
    The camera will switch to EVF and zoom into your focus point.
    I keep my X100 in manual focus mode, autofocus via AFL/AEL button and then check critical focus by pressing the rocker/wheel and adjust manually with the wheel on the lens.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    I've been looking pretty hard at this camera, but that could be a killer. Getting any "fun" shots of my toddler is impossible without continuous/servo focus.

To be fair, it is possible to photograph a moving subject (see my aisle shots above), but it works differently to a dslr. Basically you hold the shutter button down until the camera achieves focus and shoots. The problem is, that if you are in burst mode (3 or 6 fps), it locks focus with the first image, so if the subject is moving all the others will be OOF.

Therefore, you are better keeping it in single shot mode and focussing each shot separately.

In practice, this means that with an aisle shot for example, where you may have 20 images from a DSLR to choose from, you may only have 4 or 5 from the fuji.

For your scenario, a dslr may be better for toddler running around shots, but on the other hand, you are probably more likely to carry the fuji around with you.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
    Flood wrote: »
    You know that you can press that switch?
    The camera will switch to EVF and zoom into your focus point.
    I keep my X100 in manual focus mode, autofocus via AFL/AEL button and then check critical focus by pressing the rocker/wheel and adjust manually with the wheel on the lens.

Yes, that is the main use of the thumb wheel for me, and it make MF a pleasure to use for me, as I have never been able to do it with the OVFs on my DSLRs.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
    Ok, here's an ISO 1600 snap just for grins at f/4, 1/40. Very satisfied with this.

Original

x100s_beer_s.jpg

Original
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2013
    Ok, here's an ISO 1600 snap just for grins at f/4, 1/40. Very satisfied with this.

Original

x100s_beer_s.jpg

Original

I love your choice in subjects to test this camera. Mmmm... all those beers look like they need to be in me!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 12, 2013
    Try the Val-Dieu Triple. It's quite good.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2013
    studio1972 wrote: »
    To be fair, it is possible to photograph a moving subject (see my aisle shots above), but it works differently to a dslr. Basically you hold the shutter button down until the camera achieves focus and shoots. The problem is, that if you are in burst mode (3 or 6 fps), it locks focus with the first image, so if the subject is moving all the others will be OOF.

For your scenario, a dslr may be better for toddler running around shots, but on the other hand, you are probably more likely to carry the fuji around with you.
    Thanks for the reply - and, exactly, therein lies the conundrum! My D7000 AF is wonderful, but not exactly the most pocketable package. Maybe the X100sII will fix that deal.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 12, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    If you love Belgian ales, find yourself some Gulden Draak (Golden Dragon). It's brewed in Gent, where I travel frequently, and I'm told it actually won an award here in the US.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 12, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »

Indeed, its prominent inclusion in this photo is no coincidence!
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    If you love Belgian ales, find yourself some Gulden Draak (Golden Dragon). It's brewed in Gent, where I travel frequently, and I'm told it actually won an award here in the US.

It's excellent, and you can just barely see it on the shelf above the Affligem. However in that genre I've recently gravitated towards the sweeter quads like Kasteel Donker, Val Dieu Grand Cru, and Gouden Carolus blue.

But back on topic, I'm just thrilled to have a camera that fits in my pocket that can do a clean ISO 1600! I remember back when I was dreaming of clean ISO 400!!
    -Jack

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited April 29, 2013
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2013
    Has anybody noticed less-than-improved AF with theirs, or worse? I have an X100 and X100S and the AF is essentially on par, which isn't what was advertised. The X100S tends to hunt like crazy when re-focusing. I'm sure it'll get nailed in a firmware update, but it's still annoying. GREAT camera, though. Destined to be a classic.
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    Aperture RAW Conversions
    I finally got to try some RAW conversions using the latest update for Aperture. They look pretty darn good. I still prefer to just shoot JPG, as I don't use my X100s for pro work, but I will probably start shooting RAW+JPG for some of my travel and landscape stuff.

On a side note, I have been using a 90/Mbps SanDisk Pro card and you literally cannot fill the buffer at 6fps when shooting JPG. Pretty nice for action shots.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2013
    Any other new owners of this camera? I'm waiting for mine... along with much of the rest of the world! It seem Fuji seriously underestimated demand for the new model.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2013
    Got mine in April from Newtonville Camera in Massachusetts. Loving it.

DSCF1434-X3.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 7, 2013
    Great looking results!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2013
    Cool picture, that looks tough for the low light in that shade.

I have one shipping from Onecall in Spokane, will cancel a long-waited-upon Amazon order when it gets here this week, and looking forward to putting it through some paces.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    So much to learn, this camera is a better photographer than I am... :D

DSCF0205-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    Nice shot. But on the contrary, there is nothing to learn, that is the beauty of the X100S. The camera has an aperture ring and a shutter dial. Set the Fn button to set ISO, leave it in auto WB, figure out how to turn on the flash, and now you know everything you need to know. Use it like a K1000. Or set the shutter speed dial to A if you must. thumb.gif
    -Jack

• Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    These were all taken on the x100s, and 2 X-E1s with various lenses. The x100s is the go to camera whenever movement is involved as the af is better than on the X-E1s.

http://sarahmcdonnell.co.uk/weddings/inn-at-whitewell-wedding/
  • Options
    QuoddyQuoddy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2013
    Becki
    A photo of my 20 year old granddaughter, taken with my month old Fuji X100s, in my backyard about an hour ago. I was of the mind set that a 23mm would not work for portraits... I think I was wrong. (ISO 400, 23mm, -0.3EV, F2, 1/1000sec, no filters)

DSCF0124_pp_zpsf79baac3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2013
    Probably hard to go wrong with a subject like that. However I'm betting this photo doesn't quite do her justice. A 35mm FOV lens forced to do portrait duty will produce a distorted face, with the nose enlarged.

The X100S can do a portrait in a pinch, but it's hardly the right tool for the job.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    DPReview have finally come out with their full review of the x100s.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x100s/

Seems a fair recounting of the highlights and frustrations of the camera.