New Smugmug - Wishlist Items

Bob_ABob_A Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited August 4, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I've spent a fair bit of time with the Preview of my new Smugmug site and have some wishlist items for the folks at Smugmug:

1. Please give us a proper Visitor View in the Preview mode so we can confirm that protected and unlisted folders and galleries work properly.

2. I can't find a way to display the number of images in each of my galleries. This is frustrating since it's the quickest way to confirm that your SM site has properly sync'd with Lightroom.

3. Please give the same "Map This" functionality that we have with the legacy site. I have over 13,000 images on my site and almost all of them are geo-tagged.

4. Can someone please fix the new Login to make it persistent? I have "Remember Me" checked, but it has trouble remembering. If I check that box I want my details filled in so that I just need to click "Log In". Especially annoying since if you log in, play with Preview for a certain time, then go to legacy to access something like customization, you need to log in again.

5. It would sure be nice to have a download button when logged in and in gallery view so you can download all of your images from a gallery instead of having to go to "Organize".

6. Can "Popular" please be added to the list of "Reserved Pages" for the site Menu? Also, what happened to thumbs up/down?

7. How come when you sort folders by name (folder wrench item) it goes from Z to A instead of A to Z? Fortunately the file organizer is the way to go to arrange the order of folders and galleries. :)

8. Can you please add a way to change the font size for the folder/gallery info line. It doesn't wrap if you use the bottom bar, and would look bad if it did anyway. I don't like the look when it covers the image so would like to reduce the font size a bit to get just a tad more information on the info bar.

9. Can you please add Extra Small as an additional folder size?

10. Please fix favicon. It doesn't work.

11. Please provide an option to display the number (small font) of galleries/sub-folders inside the small folder graphic on the info bar of a folder picture.

12. Slideshow improvements:
a) Provide the ability to add a simple frame matching the current theme
b) When you click on the home-screen slideshow provide the option to call up the gallery where the slideshow images originated from. If a gallery wasn't selected then go to the gallery of the current displayed image.
c) Please allow the start of the slideshow to be randomized.

That's all I have today ... by the end of the week my list will probably double.

Does anyone else have wishlist items for SM? :)

Comments

• toddbuchanantoddbuchanan Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    On the Slideshow front...how about a full page slide show for my home page with banner/header and footer?
  • Bob_ABob_A Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    On the Slideshow front...how about a full page slide show for my home page with banner/header and footer?

Yup ... I missed that one. Good addition to the wishlist.
  • pistonspypistonspy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    RE:- My Bugs and Wishes.
    1./ Google Analytics doesn't seem to be working on the new smugmug.

2./ I have a wordpress plugin which embeds the pictures in to a wordpress post and the "Share Link Gallery" used to contain the ID I passed to the shortcodes as below

Required if you are showing "Single Album" above. If your gallery URL is http://nick-name.smugmug.com/gallery/abcdefgh_123456, this is abcdefgh_123456

How can I retrieve the old url shortcodes I have managed to do it albeit from the feed link but now the images are thumbnail size??

3./ Better Widget Support for external Feeds Twitter:wordpress Etc...
    edited August 1, 2013
    pistonspy wrote: »
    1./ Google Analytics doesn't seem to be working on the new smugmug.

2./ I have a wordpress plugin which embeds the pictures in to a wordpress post and the "Share Link Gallery" used to contain the ID I passed to the shortcodes as below

Required if you are showing "Single Album" above. If your gallery URL is http://nick-name.smugmug.com/gallery/abcdefgh_123456, this is abcdefgh_123456

How can I retrieve the old url shortcodes I have managed to do it albeit from the feed link but now the images are thumbnail size??

3./ Better Widget Support for external Feeds Twitter:wordpress Etc...

Thanks, I use Google Analytics and didn't realize there was an issue. I suppose you'd never know until you actually unveil.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    My list is growing but top spot right now is to put back the prev/next links on SmugMug style
    edited August 1, 2013
    Here's some more:

Please fix site search:

a. When you use the search box from the home page it stops at 1000 images. When I search all I expect to see ALL.
    b. In Preview (which is owner's view) and you search from the home page, then filter by galleries, only 10-11 galleries show up for a topic where there should be dozens.
  • Leonardo AlcantaraLeonardo Alcantara Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I would like to have a smugmug like style but with the thumbnails in a horizontal strip below a big photo stretched 100% wide.
    edited August 1, 2013
    my full list. I'm being pragmatic and organising it into "need to have before I can publish new site" . "pretty important to have" "can wait, but would like"

so without further ado....

Need to have

- Custom contact form. This has sort of been worked around with a pop up window containing wufoo form. Needs a solution for mobile though - some way to handle it differently when using the mobile stylesheet. Presumably some CSS magic will take care of it but I haven't found that yet. (http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236599&highlight=contact+form)

- Navigation buttons on smugmug style gallery. THese have been removed ("next" "prev" plus arrows back and forth). Initially at least I'm keeping Smugmug styling, and this is the best way to navigate and see every single photo. A must have. Raised as a feature request.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236734&highlight=smugmug+navigation

Pretty important
    Keywords - somewhere during migration some of my keywords 'broke' and aren't being correctly displayed. Smugmug have raised this as a bug.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236766&highlight=semicolon

Right click protection message - very unfriendly. Smugmug previously described having a nasty message as 'slapping' your customers and suggested we customise it. New Smugmug won't let us customise it. Raised as feature request.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236660&highlight=click+protection

EU cookie message - no warning given for EU visitors on new sites, putting us in breach of EU law and running the risk of a big fine. Raised as a bug
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236897

Nice to have
    Google +1s are missing STILL from the social boxes. These are important for SEO. Has been a feature request for some time.
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1993817-add-google-s-1-button-to-photo-galleries-similar-

I did have an issue with event slideshows but that has now been resolved.

So thats just the issues/wishlist. There's still other pages on my site I need to manually convert/tweak. And still features I've wanted from smugmug since before new design. But that list is long enough for now!
    edited August 1, 2013
    I would like to have a smugmug like style but with the thumbnails in a horizontal strip below a big photo stretched 100% wide.

a bit like the old filmstrip? e.g. http://www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk/gallery/3540435
    edited August 1, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »

Even a large "filmstrip only" view would be nice for some galleries. I didn't see this as an option ...
    edited August 1, 2013
    EU cookie warning now fixed. speedy bug resolution, likely tied to hefty fines for non-compliance. Hopefully the other bugs will get squashed soon too.
    edited August 2, 2013
    I just noticed that when you click Keywords from the menu bar a list of only about 250 keywords shows up ... not every keyword on my site. Please Smugmug let us configure how many we want (including ALL).
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    While embedding things like contact and calendar are high on my list.

1. A better download button for clients (like the java button that was available in the old SM).
    2. The ability to add borders around images/galleries.
    3. The ability to choose different fonts in different galleries instead of site wide. Used to be able to use html to do this.
    4. The ability to choose different color fonts wouldn't be a horrible idea.
    5. The ability to change the color of the text box on galleries. The grey just isn't all that great looking.
    6. The ability to center the text in the gallery text box would also be nice.
    7. The ability to insert a better and more complex slideshow (I seriously miss my dual slideshow).
    8. Fix the text justifying.

I'm sure there's more but these are what I can think of off the top of my head.
    Steve

Website
  • Leonardo AlcantaraLeonardo Alcantara Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Yes. Just like that. Perhaps with the option to position the strip above or below.
  • BobMBobM Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    My old (current site, rjmanning.com) has a PPA logo centered on the bottom of the page that I added in custom code. I have added it to my new site in the sandbox, but the centering of it doesn't work. The only way I was able to center it was to add a text box to the left with a single period faintly displayed that takes up 47 % of the line, then I added the html code container at 53 % to display the PPA logo and link so it is centered.

It appears adding just the html code container and marking it as centered doesn't center the display.
    Bob Manning
    edited August 2, 2013
    While embedding things like contact and calendar are high on my list.

1. A better download button for clients (like the java button that was available in the old SM).
    2. The ability to add borders around images/galleries.
    3. The ability to choose different fonts in different galleries instead of site wide. Used to be able to use html to do this.
    4. The ability to choose different color fonts wouldn't be a horrible idea.
    5. The ability to change the color of the text box on galleries. The grey just isn't all that great looking.
    6. The ability to center the text in the gallery text box would also be nice.
    7. The ability to insert a better and more complex slideshow (I seriously miss my dual slideshow).
    8. Fix the text justifying.

I'm sure there's more but these are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Great list!
    edited August 2, 2013
    I'd also like Smugmug to (in their help section, not Dgrin) start an organized list of common CSS customizations that the folks here are coming up with. Would be a great way to help their customers with the transition.
    edited August 2, 2013
    One more:

Please put some large bold red text on your LR plugin page explaining that the auto update in LR from the version 1.x to 2.x plugin doesn't work and you need to do it manually.
    edited August 3, 2013
  • rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Select multiple images in Organizer and copy to another gallery. Also select multiple images in Organizer and download. Currently, download is single image or entire gallery.
  • Alex WildAlex Wild Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2013
    Yes. Most of these, please!

I am especially disappointed SmugMug has abandoned mapping functionality. After years of upvoting this in the feature requests (http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/314669-show-on-map-icon-for-each-geotagged-photo), to see not only no action, but dismantling of the inadequate existing "map this" function is disheartening.
  • edshedsh Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Hi all,

I thought it'd be good to add my RFC's as well:

1. Javascript is NOT supported! What a truly creative way to destroy creativity! :((
    2. RFC: To close fullscreen (light box) with mouse click on image, instead of X-button
    3. RFC: Progress indicators when loading content. Now it looks like nothing happens.

I wonder, is this the correct place (dgrin), thread or other forum where we Smugmug collect RFC's (Request For Change)??

Is surely feels like all great Smuggers put great RFC's on this forum, but how will Smugmug be able to summarize them when they're all spread over 100's of threads. I'd suggest a structured reporting and ONE list of clear RFC-descriptions.

:)
    edited August 3, 2013
    edsh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I thought it'd be good to add my RFC's as well:

1. Javascript is NOT supported! What a truly creative way to destroy creativity! :((
    2. RFC: To close fullscreen (light box) with mouse click on image, instead of X-button
    3. RFC: Progress indicators when loading content. Now it looks like nothing happens.

I wonder, is this the correct place (dgrin), thread or other forum where we Smugmug collect RFC's (Request For Change)??

Is surely feels like all great Smuggers put great RFC's on this forum, but how will Smugmug be able to summarize them when they're all spread over 100's of threads. I'd suggest a structured reporting and ONE list of clear RFC-descriptions.

:)

Some more good ones!

I started this thread as a way for us to keep all of the change requests in one place given that SM doesn't appear to have any transparent and structured way set up to do this on their site. Hopefully someone at SmugMug is watching this thread.

It also would be great if they could post fixed issues/bugs and changes.

My #1 issue is no visitor view in Preview mode. I won't unveil until it's implemented, so if they decide not to do it I'm either stuck using the old SM until they shut it down or I'll need to move on to their competition ... which would be pretty sad for me since I've been a SM customer for 8 years.
    edited August 4, 2013
    Bob_A wrote: »
    One more:

Please put some large bold red text on your LR plugin page explaining that the auto update in LR from the version 1.x to 2.x plugin doesn't work and you need to do it manually.

In addition to this it looks like the 2.0.1.6 plug-in is still buggy. Maybe it's because I'm still using the legacy site, but if that's the case why don't they tell you that on the download page?

When I went to sync a gallery I got some sort of "can't rename gallery error" with a muddled up title ...
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Hopefully everyone on this thread has seen it, but our friendly smugmug forum moderators have added a new section for Feature Requests so that the feature requests don't get lost among all of the other posts from folks looking for help.

So anything you feel strongly about you might add to the "feature requests" section if you haven't already (and once you make sure somebody hasn't already added it).
    edited August 4, 2013
    edited August 4, 2013
    Another request. Please Smugmug add the ability that once you've migrated you can choose which default view you want ... legacy view or new Smugmug preview mode.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Moved this to the feature request Forum, but if you guys could please make each one of your feature requests individual threads in the Feature Request Forum, that would be GREAT! It will be easier for us to organize, keep track of, and mark as "Delivered"

Closing this tread.
This discussion has been closed.