• Options
    rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2013
    Loved #2 and #5 !

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Really lovely set, Sara. Gorgeous light, and masterful use of it. I would, however try to burn down the ball somewhat, as it immediately grabs the eye in otherwise captivating images. Glad to see you here!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Thanks, guys. Basically, while the adults are enjoying cocktails and conversation, I prefer playing with the children and messing with my fairly new 70-200 (love it, but what a heavy monster). Good idea Re the balloon, though it hadn't bothered me much until you mentioned it :D And yes, I've been out of this loop somewhat - busy, busy, busy - it's good to reconnect.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Really nice work, Sara. It's readily apparent you had good rapport with the children. I hope we'll be treated to more of your photography now.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2013
    Really nice work, Sara. It's readily apparent you had good rapport with the children. I hope we'll be treated to more of your photography now.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. Truth be told, this is my favorite kind of photography - unfettered, unposed, unscripted, fly-on-the-wall. I will make a point to check in more often :D
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Nice set of images of your favorite subjects.

As a note though.............in image #2 if Ethen pulls the tail on that there kitty he might just learn something about cats he isn't expecting. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice set of images of your favorite subjects.

As a note though.............in image #2 if Ethen pulls the tail on that there kitty he might just learn something about cats he isn't expecting. :D

Sam

Ha ha - yes, it's a delicate balance, isn't it? But he's had many hours of practice at home with Tom and Nutmeg, so there will be no surprises here.

Thanks, Sam :-)
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013

Tom

I agree. Very nice set!
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    I agree. Very nice set!

Thank you. I do a fair amount of family photography, predominantly lined up and posed, with mom and dad hovering nearby yelling out, say cheese. I live for opportunities to do this free-style, candid type of shooting; rare, in a way, unless you happen to know the children (as I did here - godforbid, you can't photograph random children playing in a park the way we once could), or unless specifically hired to do so (not as often as I'd like). But yeah - just set me free with a pack of kids - don't talk to me or to them - that's when I'm happiest.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    sara505 wrote: »
    Thank you. I do a fair amount of family photography, predominantly lined up and posed, with mom and dad hovering nearby yelling out, say cheese. I live for opportunities to do this free-style, candid type of shooting; rare, in a way, unless you happen to know the children (as I did here - godforbid, you can't photograph random children playing in a park the way we once could), or unless specifically hired to do so (not as often as I'd like). But yeah - just set me free with a pack of kids - don't talk to me or to them - that's when I'm happiest.

Well, it really shows that you loved doing this shoot, candid portraits/scenes are the best. Nicely done!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I'm more W.C. Fields these days ! rolleyes1.gif

Did wanted to say however how much I enjoy #2

And yes wonderful lighting!
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    bfjr wrote: »
    I'm more W.C. Fields these days ! rolleyes1.gif

Did wanted to say however how much I enjoy #2

And yes wonderful lighting!

Thanks, Ben. Yeah - will he or won't he pull that tail??
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Your shots have evoked a wonderful sense of childhood and its wonders. Lighting and processing are magical. (but) I do feel a sense of distance from the kids due to the use of the telephoto/zoom FL. When shooting these types, I reach more for my wide angles (17 - 40, 5D) and get close. Not sure if that is just a personal preference or if the impact on the emotional feel of the shots would change just as much as the FL.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    rainbow wrote: »
    Your shots have evoked a wonderful sense of childhood and its wonders. Lighting and processing are magical. (but) I do feel a sense of distance from the kids due to the use of the telephoto/zoom FL. When shooting these types, I reach more for my wide angles (17 - 40, 5D) and get close. Not sure if that is just a personal preference or if the impact on the emotional feel of the shots would change just as much as the FL.

I agree, photography is different with a long lens. Shooting with a short lens affords an intimacy, and connection with the subject, without a doubt. I often prefer the closeness that, say, a 50mm lens allows, but on the other hand, this "fly on the wall" style offers a candidness and unposed quality that is also fun and difficult to get with a shorter lens and closer presence. I grow very weary of photographing children who are trained to say cheese and put on a fake face whenever they see a camera nearby. Two different styles, I enjoy them both. Also, you can't beat the bokeh on the 70-200, imo. I sometimes shoot with a 20mm, but I don't care for the way the faces are distorted.
  • Options
    mayflymayfly Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Nice photos Sara. I really like the posture of the boy and the blur of the spinning hoop in # 11.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    mayfly wrote: »
    Nice photos Sara. I really like the posture of the boy and the blur of the spinning hoop in # 11.
    Thank you. I think that was his first go with a hula hoop and he was very proud to experience some success.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    I have been admiring at this wonderful set of images for awhile. I especially like No 2,5 and 12 but 12 is very special .