Background Slide Show?

FstphotographyFstphotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 6, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hello everyone, my name is Frank and first and foremost these forums are amazing. I'm new to these forums, and new to smugmug. I don't know anything about coding and I'm just starting to tap into customizing my site. What my idea was, was instead of having one stationary image as the background to my site, is it possible to maybe have 4 images that ever second or two change? Like a little slides how? If so, how would I go about doing that? I've tried to search and see if its an option but I haven't seen anything. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I'm not from SM but from what I've understood so far, the actual background image cannot be made a slideshow, but you can put a stretchy slideshow on the page. So mine for instance has a slide show that takes up maybe 90% of the page, with a black background around everything else.

To do that you just drag a slideshow onto the homepage (removing everything else).

But I agree a background slide show would be better.

Hmmm.... I wonder if anyone has tried an animated GIF?
  • FstphotographyFstphotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »
    I'm not from SM but from what I've understood so far, the actual background image cannot be made a slideshow, but you can put a stretchy slideshow on the page. So mine for instance has a slide show that takes up maybe 90% of the page, with a black background around everything else.

To do that you just drag a slideshow onto the homepage (removing everything else).

Yea your right. What is your site? I'd like to take a look.
  • charlesdalycharlesdaly Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »

An animated gif will only work in sm if it's the original size which the viewer will have to select manually within a gallery. That was last years info to me from SM. Actually, if I came upon that as a home page background I would probably check the warranty for my monitor :)
    Thanks!
    Charles
    Port Credit. Canada
    http://charlesdalyphotography.com
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    An animated gif will only work in sm if it's the original size which the viewer will have to select manually within a gallery. That was last years info to me from SM. Actually, if I came upon that as a home page background I would probably check the warranty for my monitor :)

Not quite sure what you mean by that.

I set up a test just for grins, on a non-linked page. It does work. There's something wacky with the colors and resolution, but that may be how I made it in CS6. It's interesting as a proof of concept.

If you want to see: Test Page
  • SynappedPhotoSynappedPhoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2013
    Full-screen slideshow
    Well, you're ahead of me! I'd like to make that full-screen slideshow but can't figure out how to do it. Mine only comes out small. I'm assuming I"m choosing the wrong Style, but none of them do just what your site has, which is what I want! Can you tell me which style that is? Thanks!
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Well, you're ahead of me! I'd like to make that full-screen slideshow but can't figure out how to do it. Mine only comes out small. I'm assuming I"m choosing the wrong Style, but none of them do just what your site has, which is what I want! Can you tell me which style that is? Thanks!

Synapped,
    Unfortunately he didn't get that by selecting the right style. He took a bunch of images into Photoshop CS6 and created an animated GIF out of it. Then he set that image as his background. It works but it's not necessarily pretty and not easy to update.

I have a Full Screen slideshow on my Heritage SmugMug site that uses JavaScript. I haven't published my "New SmugMug" site yet because I haven't been able to get a fullscreen slideshow to run. The New SM doesn't really have a spot to add in that JavaScript code. For now we'll have to wait and see if we can get a response from SM staff.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations