Options

Homepage sidebars not working

QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited August 7, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I have a Basic account.
If I go to my homepage, Customize, Just this Page, then Layout, there is a switch for Left and Right Sidebars.
If I enable them, a square gray box for those sidebars appears, but not to the sides of the other content, but above or below the other content blocks. What's more, I can't drag new or existing content blocks inside the "side"-bars. They snap above or below, but not inside.

http://qbic.smugmug.com/

smugmug_sidebars_crop.png

Comments

• Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    QBiC wrote: »
    If I enable them, a square gray box for those sidebars appears, but not to the sides of the other content, but above or below the other content blocks. What's more, I can't drag new or existing content blocks inside the "side"-bars. They snap above or below, but not inside.

try to select PREVIEW (green bar on top of the window) and EXIT ... sidebars should now be left/right of the center content. Had similar problems when doing my site but i'm using a left sidebar and it is working. See Screenshot (this is for ENTIRE SITE, should work for HOMEPAGE also).
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    I'm not sure what you mean by Preview. In the green bar on top I have Revert and Done :/
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    I'm not sure what you mean by Preview. In the green bar on top I have Revert and Done :/

Doh... then the basic account does not seem to offer the preview button. So that workaround mentioned by me will not work for you, the support team need to find a fix for that.

Does it help to enable the sidebars, select "DONE" and select CUSTOMIZE again?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Well be damned... That actually worked :) Customize, Enable sidebar, Publish now, Customize, then it all worked as expected.. (But as soon as I disabled the sidebar, things were buggy again. The sidebar "collapsed" but still reserved space on the page, again, until I published..)

Will experiment further later; thanks :)
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    The sidebar "collapsed" but still reserved space on the page, again, until I published..)

Yes, looks like site site layout does not get updated if you enable/disable the sidebars. Might be a browser issue or it is really a problem.

While there is a workaround for basic and power-users available it is still pretty annoying and confusing for new users. The support team should have a look at this problem.

P.S. Really a browser issue, tried it with the new OperaNext and there it works without these workarounds.