Options

The "what we gained" versus "what we lost" list!

guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited August 9, 2013 in SmugMug Support
So I thought it would be good to make a list of what we as users have gained in this upgrade versus what we lost. This is what I have found so far from my own site:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoAPoI8v0EYldHZHd3ZrbmJCUzI0cVRHQWFaTkJuLXc&output=html

If anyone has others good or bad I'll be happy to add them to the list!

Comments

• Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Gallery comments have not been lost. Just add a "Comment" block to "All Galleries" and your gallery comments will appear.
    http://billw.smugmug.com/Pets/My-Cats

Are your gallery descriptions longer than this?
    http://billw.smugmug.com/AtlanticVacation2011/Miners-Museum
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    billw wrote: »
    Gallery comments have not been lost. Just add a "Comment" block to "All Galleries" and your gallery comments will appear.
    http://billw.smugmug.com/Pets/My-Cats

Are your gallery descriptions longer than this?
    http://billw.smugmug.com/AtlanticVacation2011/Miners-Museum

Thanks for the gallery comments tip, I'll remove that from the list.

Well yes some of my gallery descriptions are.
    http://guy.smugmug.com/Outdoors-Hikes-Climbs-etc/Mt-Hood-Hikes/McNeil-Ridge-Loop-130630

I know I can still do this but now I have to now write them in a separate editor & paste them across.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    Well yes some of my gallery descriptions are.
    http://guy.smugmug.com/Outdoors-Hikes-Climbs-etc/Mt-Hood-Hikes/McNeil-Ridge-Loop-130630
    I know I can still do this but now I have to now write them in a separate editor & paste them across.

I see what you mean! So the description appears properly above the gallery but it is a pain to type it into the Gallery Settings. In the Gallery Settings overlay you can expand the input box for the gallery description. Scroll bars will appear for the entire overlay. You can scroll down then expand the input box some more, etc. Better, of course, would be a scroll bar on the text input box.

How did you get the URLs to be clickable in the description?

EDIT: OK, I see those are internal links to smugmug pages. I was wanting to have external links be clickable.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    I was wanting to have external links be clickable.
    I have external links clickable in my About page and in my Travel Stories gallery. In the gallery there are clickable links in the photo descriptions. In both places I used <a href= html statements.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Bill, as Denise stated above external links work in just the same way, I use a lot of them. In fact if you look at the Gallery description I referenced above you will even see that there is a small clickable PH image in the description that links to an external site!
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    You can still do bulk caption and keywording - in the organizer, click the wrench.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    And don't forget to add in the "What we gained" column, that we gained an excellent organizer where we can see our complete file structure. Very much appreciated!
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    elizabelizab Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    We've gained a much simpler, cleaner way to create text pages, no longer having to make galleries with no pictures and being restricted by the gallery width constraint. That's a real plus for me.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    List updated!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    has the gallery link case sensitivity thing actually had a fix promised? I didn't think it had...

Also they've removed ability to customise right click warning without code.

And added snazzy keyboard globe thing (e.g. www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk/search )
  • Options
    ctvaderctvader Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    We lost the ability to have unlimited galleries - we're not limited to 48 galleries on the page.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 8, 2013
    ctvader wrote: »
    We lost the ability to have unlimited galleries - we're not limited to 48 galleries on the page.

Sorry, but that's not exactly true. The 48 limit is dependent on where you're pulling them from. If you are manually choosing 48 individual galleries, then yes you are limited to 48. But that ability never really existed on legacy SmugMug.

If you are pulling in galleries from a folder, current location, etc. then it's only limited by how many galleries are there. I had a test case with over 200 galleries. Then I added another content block to the same page with about 150 more.

That being said, having hundreds of anything on a web page isn't generally a good practice.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    has the gallery link case sensitivity thing actually had a fix promised? I didn't think it had...

Also they've removed ability to customise right click warning without code.

And added snazzy keyboard globe thing (e.g. www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk/search )

Can you direct me to where you get the cool globe? I couldn't find it in the customizations (or I don't know what I'm looking for!) & also how you edited the list underneath - yours only has "Photos" & "Galleries", & mine shows Photos, Galleries, Videos & Photos/Videos. When I try to customize it, it says "Area Reserved for Default Smugmug Content" with a padlock where I would expect the settings or wrench.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    So I figured out the cloud, but still can't modify the list underneath.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    lkbart wrote: »
    So I figured out the cloud, but still can't modify the list underneath.

The list is done with css. I started a thread asking for help to do it on here. Would link but away from home right now...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    thank you for the summary...really helps to get up to speed on the changes. this blindsided me!
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    So I thought it would be good to make a list of what we as users have gained in this upgrade versus what we lost. This is what I have found so far from my own site:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoAPoI8v0EYldHZHd3ZrbmJCUzI0cVRHQWFaTkJuLXc&output=html

Hey Guy,

In the gallery settings, you can drag the description box to make it bigger. This should cover the issue "Gallery description box too small to use properly!"
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013

Heya Guy,

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Can no longer customize a set of galleriers in a folder as before. It's now All or just one.

Thanks!
  • Options
    ctvaderctvader Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's not exactly true. The 48 limit is dependent on where you're pulling them from. If you are manually choosing 48 individual galleries, then yes you are limited to 48. But that ability never really existed on legacy SmugMug.

If you are pulling in galleries from a folder, current location, etc. then it's only limited by how many galleries are there. I had a test case with over 200 galleries. Then I added another content block to the same page with about 150 more.

That being said, having hundreds of anything on a web page isn't generally a good practice.

With the method you mentioned above, how do you get all the galleries on one page to show up in chronological order? I was able to do this on the legacy SM - I would upload --> create new gallery --> choose category --> publish. They all showed up on my main page with the ability for me to click on each category in the breadcrumb trail. I don't think we should be restricted on the number of galleries we manually choose (that's what I tried). I'm a hobbyist, not a professional. Most of my images are used to share with family and friends.

I appreciate your reply and I will try some other methods.

Thank you.

Jeff
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    ctvader wrote: »
    With the method you mentioned above, how do you get all the galleries on one page to show up in chronological order? I was able to do this on the legacy SM - I would upload --> create new gallery --> choose category --> publish. They all showed up on my main page with the ability for me to click on each category in the breadcrumb trail. I don't think we should be restricted on the number of galleries we manually choose (that's what I tried). I'm a hobbyist, not a professional. Most of my images are used to share with family and friends.

I appreciate your reply and I will try some other methods.

Thank you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The galleries will appear in the order they are in within the folder. You can sort (by date or manually) by navigating to the folder in the Organizer.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Heya Guy,

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Can no longer customize a set of galleriers in a folder as before. It's now All or just one.

Thanks!

Sure!

I use the old terms Category & Sub Category knowing that these would now be Folders & Sub Folders. On Legacy SM I could set a custom header, menu, font etc for all galleries within a sub category or subcategory. Any new gallery added would automatically take on those settings & that look. I found this to be very useful.

Now we can customize for all folders or all galleries or just one folder or one gallery, this means that if I want a custom look for all the galleries in a particular folder you have to customize them one at a time.

Being able to customize at the folder level for all galleries within it would duplicate what we had before & be a big plus, at least for me!
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Sure!

I use the old terms Category & Sub Category knowing that these would now be Folders & Sub Folders. On Legacy SM I could set a custom header, menu, font etc for all galleries within a sub category or subcategory. Any new gallery added would automatically take on those settings & that look. I found this to be very useful.

Now we can customize for all folders or all galleries or just one folder or one gallery, this means that if I want a custom look for all the galleries in a particular folder you have to customize them one at a time.

Being able to customize at the folder level for all galleries within it would duplicate what we had before & be a big plus, at least for me!
    I use that all over the place on my (Legacy) site. I didn't realize that was another missing feature. I thought that kind of customizing would be easier now, not harder. I used to go into Adv. Customization to do it, but once I figured out how, it was easy. Bummer.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013

Click Organize > Organize Site
    Find and click on the folder in the organizer - all galleries show on the right
    Click Select All
    Click Settings
    In the overlay, click Appearance
    Click the checkbox for Gallery Style
    Set the Gallery Style
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Click Select All
    Click Settings
    Set the Gallery Style

Bill,

It's not just style or theme I'm talking about. What we could do before was akin to now being able to set:

1) The style
    2) The Theme
    3) The content blocks used & layout

Then save all that & have it apply to all galleries within a folder. I don't believe this is currently possible if it is I'll be happy to be wrong!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Click Select All
    Click Settings
    Set the Gallery Style
    After clicking "Select All" the "Click Settings" is grayed out and not selectable.

Selecting more then on grays out the settings.

I'm trying to add a different banner to this legacy "category" and have it flow down.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Originally Posted by sheaf viewpost.png
    If you are pulling in galleries from a folder, current location, etc. then it's only limited by how many galleries are there.
    Sorry, but that's not exactly true.
    I am trying to display ALL galleries from a folder which contains 83 galleries, but only 48 galleries will display in the content block for me and my visitors.
    This is not a smart gallery and it worked fine in legacy SM.

- Terry (Pro user - unveiled)
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    After clicking "Select All" the "Click Settings" is grayed out and not selectable.

Selecting more then on grays out the settings.

I'm trying to add a different banner to this legacy "category" and have it flow down.

Don't know about the banner, but I'm having no problems doing "Bulk Settings" for galleries. If a folder contains a mix of folders and galleries then I'm seeing the "Settings" button greyed out after "Select All".
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Bill,

It's not just style or theme I'm talking about. What we could do before was akin to now being able to set:

1) The style
    2) The Theme
    3) The content blocks used & layout

Then save all that & have it apply to all galleries within a folder. I don't believe this is currently possible if it is I'll be happy to be wrong!

Yes, you're right - it appears you can't change the theme, content blocks or layout for multiple galleries at once.

In fact, it seems you can't change the theme for a page without changing the site-wide appearance, which is a bit of pain. For example, I'd like the text on a Text page to be white on black, but if I change the theme while that page is displayed, all text on the site changes to white.