Options

Tutorial to Remove SM Branding, add referral & login link in New SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    :jonah:jonah Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2013
    Login/Logout not showing on site
    You're welcome! Glad it worked. Let's double check that the code is in the correct locations and entered exactly. Even missing an element can alter it. Let me know if this doesn't fix the issue:

This goes in the CSS content block. I selected 'entire site' and added my CSS content block to the bottom of my footer. It's hidden, but easier for me to remember the location.

CSS

This goes in the HTML content block. Don't forget to change the referral url. Get the link via Account Settings > Stats (scroll down to referral). Also change the login/logout link to your website.

HTML

I hope it worked this time! :D

Hi Amber, I am not seeing the login/logout link. Did I do something wrong? I have it on entire site block. I also added the CSS to remove powered by smugmug text. I'm working on this site photo.kochfoto.com
  • Options
    :jonah:jonah Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2013
    Login logout not showing up
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Inspired by this and assisted by Nicholas Sherlock with some CSS magic, here's an alternative that (a) suppresses the "Powered by smugmug", then (b) replaces it with a fully right justified "Smugmug - Logxxx" which (c) flips from "Logout" to "Login" depending on your current state.

The first piece of code goes in a CSS box in the footer.
    .sm-page-powered-by a {
      display: None;
    }

.leflogin {
      display: inline;
    }

.sm-user-loggedin .leflogin {
      display: none;
    }

.leflogout {
      display: none;
    }

.sm-user-loggedin .leflogout {
      display: inline;
    }

The second goes in an HTML box to the right side of the footer (it doesn't matter how large you make the CSS or this box so long as they are all in the same line as anything else in your footer).
    <div style="text-align:right">
      Smugmug - <a class="leflogin" href="https://secure.smugmug.com/login?goTo=http://www.captivephotons.com/">Login</a><a class="leflogout" href="https://secure.smugmug.com/logout?goTo=http://www.captivephotons.com/">Logout</a>
    </div>

In the above you replace the www.captivephotons.com with your own site, and the "lef" were my initials just to make things unique, name the class however you like just so they match.

Notice that the alternative CSS cause login to be "done" or "inline" based on whether logged in, and reversed for logout. The same technique can be used for any other controls you want only logged in, or out.

Thanks again to both of you.

Great tutorial, but I'm having trouble, because the text is not showing on my site? I'm working on this site photo.kochfoto.com. EDIT-- it is only not showing on my homepage I see it on Gallery and folder pages? Any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Jonah
  • Options
    hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Hey, it worked! Thanks a bunch, you are my hero wings.gif
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    :jonah wrote: »
    Hi Amber, Great work here. I was looking at your site and I wanted to put in Shopping cart link. How did you do that?
    Thanks,

Hello! Thank you very much! I added the shopping cart link by adding a custom link to my navigation (menu) content bar. Here is the link: https://secure.smugmug.com/cart/
    You could also link from text in a text box etc. Let me know if you need a walk-through. :D
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Hi Amber, I am not seeing the login/logout link. Did I do something wrong? I have it on entire site block. I also added the CSS to remove powered by smugmug text. I'm working on this site photo.kochfoto.com

I don't see it either...hmm. Last night, there was a glitch on my SmugMug site and mine had vanished. Check from your customize again. If you don't see them in customize, try to restart your browser, remove the content boxes and put them in again. I put them back last night and all was well. Try again and let me know if it worked. Also, if they show in customize, but not via your live site - remember to publish. Friendly reminder. :D

• Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Great tutorial, but I'm having trouble, because the text is not showing on my site? I'm working on this site photo.kochfoto.com. EDIT-- it is only not showing on my homepage I see it on Gallery and folder pages? Any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Jonah

Thank you, I'm sorry you're having trouble!
    Double check that the content boxes are correctly on the 'entire site' selection. They should light up red. If not, move them. Or try to delete and put back. Could be a glitch with all the changes. If you're using any other code, it could be a conflict. Let me know your results.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    hendie wrote: »
    Hey, it worked! Thanks a bunch, you are my hero wings.gif

Awesome!! You're very welcome. Why, thank you! :Dwings.gif

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    @ Soul Gaze - the tip on adding the Shopping Cart to menu items - too cool!!! Just did it. Kinda "blatantly" tells folks they can buy your photos. Love it. You're my HERO again!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 8, 2013
    @ Soul Gaze…

Nice site you've got. In addition to the other compliments you have above, I especially like the + and the - expanding menus. Nice!

But, when I click the Smugmug link at the bottom of your site, my own site comes up. ne_nau.gif Very puzzled about why that is. I'm currently logged into my own in another tab. I've seen that behavior at other SM sites lately. I'm not understanding the reason. Anyone know why it works that way and displays as such?

i-q2FBkKd.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    @Soul Gaze and David...just tried the SmugMug link on her site, it worked for me. What I don't like is the implementation by SmugMug of that credit. You get dumped into a page that starts you up designing your new site. Nothing says you are going to get a $5 credit for joining or whatever. Seems like SmugMug should land you on a page that says Thank you for choosing SmugMug from user "so and so's page. And them inform them they will get a $5 discount and then have a "Let's get started building your website". I think this is an incredible oversite by SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    @ Soul Gaze - the tip on adding the Shopping Cart to menu items - too cool!!! Just did it. Kinda "blatantly" tells folks they can buy your photos. Love it. You're my HERO again!

That's exactly why I did it! I felt visitors would be more likely to purchase with easy access and it also reminds them. :D Woot! Thank you very much! I'm so glad to be helpful. clap.gifivar

• Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    @ Soul Gaze…

Nice site you've got. In addition to the other compliments you have above, I especially like the + and the - expanding menus. Nice!

But, when I click the Smugmug link at the bottom of your site, my own site comes up. ne_nau.gif Very puzzled about why that is. I'm currently logged into my own in another tab. I've seen that behavior at other SM sites lately. I'm not understanding the reason. Anyone know why it works that way and displays as such?

i-q2FBkKd.jpg

Thank you very much! It's actually the menu's layout style that does that (accordion), but you have to have second level (drop down) menu items for it to do it. I played around with the menu settings until I got it to look the way it does now.

When I'd tested the link in the past, it did the same to me when signed in, but took me to SmugMug's homepage when signed-out. My assumption always was that SmugMug was programed to know when a current Smugger had clicked the link and return them to the homepage since there was no reason to sign-up via a referral. Otherwise...no idea! headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    @Soul Gaze and David...just tried the SmugMug link on her site, it worked for me. What I don't like is the implementation by SmugMug of that credit. You get dumped into a page that starts you up designing your new site. Nothing says you are going to get a $5 credit for joining or whatever. Seems like SmugMug should land you on a page that says Thank you for choosing SmugMug from user "so and so's page. And them inform them they will get a $5 discount and then have a "Let's get started building your website". I think this is an incredible oversite by SmugMug.

I also feel there should be something like maybe a bar across the top of the page indicating that you are using a referral credit thanks to Smugger 'Soul Gaze Photography' or whatever. I'm sure it shows up when they choose a site, but additional incentive to use our referral is always nice. In the future, I'd planned to link the SmugMug (or whatever I rename it) to a page to introduce SmugMug and mention my referral credit that then links to SmugMug using the referral code. Same code, just on a separate page so people are clear of my support for SmugMug and more likely to try them out than just clicking a website host credit link. This would work at least until they are able to consider updating the referral page. I'm sure this will be added to an astoundingly long to-do list by the invisible idea catcher! :D

• Options
    EagleEye1EagleEye1 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    This covers removing SmugMug branding from the header and footer, removing the 'Photo Sharing by SmugMug' and recreating a custom referral and login link. I thought this might benefit someone as it has me. I've also used the same method to add a 'return to top' function.

First, select 'customize' > 'customize site'. Then select 'settings' from the green bar at the top right.

Here you can turn off SmugMug header and footer. This of course leaves the 'Photo Sharing by SmugMug Login' link in the bottom right.

So now what? How do I remove the text?
    1. Select 'entire site' view in customize (red box). When you hover on your footer, the top of the content block should go red and show 'on entire site' so you know you're in the right place.
    2. Choose the 'css' content block and add it to the very bottom of your footer so it's out of your way for additional customizations. It's invisible on the live site.
    3. Insert:
    4. Then save the block. Now the SmugMug link is gone, but what if you want to keep the login link?
    5. Just add a text content block and the word 'login' (or whatever) and link either to SmugMug's homepage or to:
    What about the referral link?

To keep the text in one line, reopen the text block that has your new login link. Add SmugMug, Photo Hosting or whatever word you want and link to your referral link which looks like this: Your custom referral link can be found via 'account settings' > Stats.

So, I've added this to my text box:

SmugMug is linked to open in a new window so visitors don't leave my site. Login is not since visitors shouldn't be clicking anyway.

If you find that you can't get the text to go to the right, just play with your content block settings via the ruler icon when you hover. These settings will vary according to your content, font size and theme's size, but should give you an idea of what I mean. Basically, you want to have two content blocks, both with different size settings, side by side so you can push the other to the edge if wanted. There may be another way, but this works for me.

You can see the final results here:
    http://www.soulgazephotography.smugmug.com
    Good luck! :D I hope this was helpful!

Screenshot has been attached to this tutorial (since I am STILL customizing my footer).

Dear SmugMug, if you see this thread and freak about branding removal: Please don't block this option. Especially for business and pro users. We're paying money to deserve to be 'smug' with our websites. Most prefer to not show that they are 'hosted', but look more professional as if we are doing it all ourselves. At the least, require that we create a custom link such as I have done to lead viewers back to SmugMug either via a discreet link of our choosing or a link in the navbar, on a credits page, etc. Please?? Besides, the forced text was distracting and also didn't line up correctly with the website theme. Thanks for being awesome! :D

Hi Amber,
    How would I embed the login and referral link in a text content block? Can you provide an example of the code please?
  • Options
    caretocareto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2013
    the smugmug link is my referral link. Technically it goes to smugmug so there is no need for the login link, but the login link takes you directly to the login page so one less click. :d
    thank you for your help, truly appreciated!
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    That's exactly why I did it! I felt visitors would be more likely to purchase with easy access and it also reminds them. :D Woot! Thank you very much! I'm so glad to be helpful. clap.gifivar

Any thoughts on having an actual cart image in the navbar instead of the words "view cart"?
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    pworm14pworm14 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Thank you OP and everyone else that contributed their expertise. Thanks to you I now have my copyright statement and "site owner" login/logoff in my footer instead of the SM branding. Much Better!!!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    EagleEye1 wrote: »
    Hi Amber,
    How would I embed the login and referral link in a text content block? Can you provide an example of the code please?

Hello!!
    For the CSS and HTML content box codes, look here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1892317&postcount=59

You could do it in a text box, but the code is way cooler if implemented via the CSS and HTML content blocks as shown via the link above. The code used that way is 'smart'. It will change from 'login' to 'logout' depending upon if you are actually logged in or not. :D

If you prefer to do it via a text link,
    1. Your referral link can be found via: Account Settings > Stats (scroll down to referral).
    It will look like: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=XfVyhOovRyp4o
    2. To login, use the link: https://secure.smugmug.com/login

Just drag a text content block over to your site while in customize. Then add the text you want and link to the above links.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    careto wrote: »
    thank you for your help, truly appreciated!

You're very welcome! Glad to be of assistance. :D

• Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Any thoughts on having an actual cart image in the navbar instead of the words "view cart"?

Great idea! Currently I've not played with images yet. I wasn't sure the option existed as I didn't see one for customization when in the menu content block. Of course, since you asked - I tried!

Here is my solution:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238516

A NEW tutorial just for you, inspired by you! Enjoy! :D

• Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    pworm14 wrote: »
    Thank you OP and everyone else that contributed their expertise. Thanks to you I now have my copyright statement and "site owner" login/logoff in my footer instead of the SM branding. Much Better!!!

You're very welcome!! :D

• Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    i hate that "WE" should have to send the referral to a page we have to design when that should have been a "duhhhh" by SmugMug to explain what is going on and give some credit to the referring user. Just "duhhhhhhhh". I would really like to have a list of the NEW SmugMug beta testers and exactly what the criteria was to establish them. Sorry SmugMug, but you really blew this program due to your advanced "before ready" rollout.
  • Options
    ghostwindsghostwinds Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    OK look, is there someone who can take ahold of my site and do this stupid simple (not for me) thing where I can have the login/logout button (depending on if you are already logged in our out) put in the lower right hand side of my entire site...I have tried this umpteen times and Im ready to friggin quit this stupid site....do I need to go live to have someone look at my acct? Im afraid to go live my my slideshow went from this huge beautigul one in legacy to this tiny puny ugly thing here in the new SM.....so was waiting to see if they fix this 1st......any help would be much appreciated.... chris......ghostwinds.com
    Thank You!

Crystal
    www.ghostwinds.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    ghostwinds wrote: »
    OK look, is there someone who can take ahold of my site and do this stupid simple (not for me) thing where I can have the login/logout button (depending on if you are already logged in our out) put in the lower right hand side of my entire site...I have tried this umpteen times and Im ready to friggin quit this stupid site....do I need to go live to have someone look at my acct? Im afraid to go live my my slideshow went from this huge beautigul one in legacy to this tiny puny ugly thing here in the new SM.....so was waiting to see if they fix this 1st......any help would be much appreciated.... chris......ghostwinds.com

Hello! I'm SO sorry you're having trouble. I'd be more than happy to help you through it. If you prefer someone else do it, you'd have to trust them to access your account in order to keep your legacy site live until you are ready to unveil your new SmugMug. Or I can walk you through it and help you understand some of the changes to the site. It's totally your choice. Let me know, I'm here to help! :)

• Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    @Ghostwinds - Soul Gaze is someone whom you can trust. She also will get your problem fixed! Give her a shot.
    I have the login working fine on my Preview site; but I just show it on my homepage and centered at the bottom. Figure once people go to the galleries, they don't need a login - but that's just my need. So, I put it on the homepage for my own usage. Wish I could help, but not sure of the several places I added the code!!! :) Once it works, I forget real fast and go on to other things!
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Hi Soul Gaze!

I just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for creating this tutorial!

I finally unveiled my site today, after adding this feature. I will still be tweaking things, but I really appreciate your posting this, and helping others too (yes I read the whole thread, Laughing.gif)! :D
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    @Ghostwinds - Soul Gaze is someone whom you can trust. She also will get your problem fixed! Give her a shot.
    I have the login working fine on my Preview site; but I just show it on my homepage and centered at the bottom. Figure once people go to the galleries, they don't need a login - but that's just my need. So, I put it on the homepage for my own usage. Wish I could help, but not sure of the several places I added the code!!! :) Once it works, I forget real fast and go on to other things!

Thank you for your trust and support - I'm always happy to help! :D
    That's a great example of using the code to your needs. If I was you, I'd start keeping record of the code you add and where. It might be needed later as we have more flexibility. I keep my code stored via separate tabs in Microsoft One Note, but of course there are other ways.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    Hi Soul Gaze!

I just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for creating this tutorial!

I finally unveiled my site today, after adding this feature. I will still be tweaking things, but I really appreciate your posting this, and helping others too (yes I read the whole thread, Laughing.gif)! :D

Hello pmbpro! You're VERY welcome! I'm so happy you enjoyed the tutorial and that you were able to tweak it to your preference. I'm happy to help! :)

• Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Ghostwinds, contact Soul Gaze here or by PM. She can help you.
  • Options
    IWLSR5IWLSR5 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 18, 2013
    I'm trying to apply your footer modification to my site. When I am in the customizer and I hover over the Photo Sharing by SmugMug in my footer, I never get the red square to let me make any changes to it.