Options

Background Image

BrotherWolfBrotherWolf Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited November 10, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi.....everyone else seems to have worked this out but how do you change the background image on a predefined theme. Content/Photo won't fill the screen and Theme/Background Photos just gives a list of two tone themes which doesn't relate to background photos at all. When I choose a defined theme like Arrow there is a resturant in the background.....there must be a way of changing it but it's beyond me.

The thing that really lills me is that this probably isn't a difficult thing to do at all :-/

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Don't feel bad, because this is really well hidden!

In Customize Site, go to the Theme tab, and hover over the Active Theme. A spanner icon will appear on the right side, click on that. Then you should find the Background tab where you can set a background photo.
  • Options
    BrotherWolfBrotherWolf Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Thanks for the reply....didn't work initially but it turned out that that was because I'd changed to a different option in the background photo's option. Once I'd deleted that the spanner appeared.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Don't feel bad, because this is really well hidden!

In Customize Site, go to the Theme tab, and hover over the Active Theme. A spanner icon will appear on the right side, click on that. Then you should find the Background tab where you can set a background photo.

Lamah: I like the way you have randomized the full-screen image on your homepage, so visitors see a different photo (every one gorgeous!) each time they open it. A very good alternative to the non-randomizable SM slideshow. Would you mind sharing how you did that? Thanks.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Currently, my method requires JavaScript to generate a random number which chooses the background, so unfortunately it can't really be used on New SmugMug.

Instead, you could find an image rotation service on the web, like this one (though I haven't tried that place). You'll give them a list of links to images that you want them to display (from your SmugMug account), and they'll give you an address like http://imagerotation.com/rotate?userid=2913124. If you set the background of your page to that address, the background will randomly change between the images you chose! You would need to set that background using CSS, like so:
    html {
    	background-repeat: no-repeat;
    	background-position: center top;
    	background-attachment: scroll;
    	background-image: url(http://imagerotation.com/rotate?userid=2913124);
    	background-size: 100%;
    	background-size: cover;
    }

I'm not certain if you would have to actually refresh the page to see it change or not, but give it a go.

I've added "please add support for randomised background images" to the feature suggestions forum, so hopefully SmugMug picks that up.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Currently, my method requires JavaScript to generate a random number which chooses the background, so unfortunately it can't really be used on New SmugMug.

[SNIP]

I've added "please add support for randomised background images" to the feature suggestions forum, so hopefully SmugMug picks that up.

Lamah, I'm not seeing that new feature request -- would you mind linking? Thanks!
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    EZPhotosEZPhotos Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2013
    Your post was exactly what I was looking for... thank you..