Options

Restore Javascript

BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited August 19, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Restore the ability to customize with javascript.
http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography

Comments

• Options
    HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    +1,000,000!
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    whoalsewhoalse Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    +1,000,000!

+1 x 1,000,000!

Unwilling to be a beta tester....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    whoALSE => Allen
    One form of time travel is thru Captured Moments
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I consider the removal of existing functionality a bug, not a feature request. Also +1,000,000
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    Restore the ability to customize with javascript.

Many of us have come to be extremely dependent on the baseline functions created by jfriend. His contributions have enhanced the SmugMug product in so many ways, including its productivity and marketability. He seems to have done this purely out of a creative and generous sense of community. He has also set himself very high standards of reliability (continually updating his scripts as needed to keep them viable) and user support. And every script is beautifully documented, both for use and for future maintenance. Lamah has also made significant contributions following this model. (And please forgive me if I've left out other contributors, all of whom are appreciated!)

SmugMug needs to do whatever it can to continue to provide this functionality, and to encourage this spirit, for quick-turnaround development. But the challenges admittedly are there, including the key person dependency and core upgrade constraints of the current free-form javascript block functionality. There are certainly creative ways to address those challenges via design and workflow, such as external widget or mobile app development models. (EDIT: Removed mention of Android & Apple so as not to start a flame war.) The solution is not to simply remove the functionality.

I'm not advocating to replace the current model, nor for a particular substitute -- I leave that to jfriend and other experts. But generally speaking, I can appreciate the insurance that comes with future-proofing and broader support, as long as it doesn't inhibit creativity. Hopefully, there can be a productive partnership where SmugMug and the customization community work together toward shared objectives.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    3 cheers for Jfriend and all the help he has provided. I use many of his routines in the legacy site. Wonder why they took out java script? Must have had some problems in the background...but Jfriends routines worked all the time in my site.
  • Options
    jbagsjbags Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2013
    JavaScript please, please, please
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Dear Smugmug - Please keep in mind that Javascript is not just used to make things pretty. It adds functionality that I need for my business. Removing this functionality hurts my business for which I've paid SM a pretty penny over the last few years.
    How long will legacy mode work?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    +1
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Mike J wrote: »
    Dear Smugmug - .... How long will legacy mode work?

I've been asking this simple question for a while now... do you know what I hear is response to my question?..... crickets :):):):)
  • Options
    HeroOfCantonHeroOfCanton Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    We haven't set a date for when legacy will be retired. When we have a definitive date, we certainly will let you know.
    Quality Engineer - My SmugMug Site

Getting started on DGrin? Go here first!
    Contact a Support Hero: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    mobonocore has indicated that its better to list each of the customisations we'd like to make using javascript.
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Customization with Javascript on New SmugMug is something we are planning on. It is an active project, however it is a very tricky project. Executing it responsibly presents difficult challenges that we haven't solved yet. But we are taking feedback from our customers as to what exactly they are using JS for, so we can build the tools you need most.
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'm a little confused by this. Are you saying that you are planning on adding javascript functionality, so users can add whatever js they like (perhaps with a few caveats)? Or are you saying that you’re looking into adding support for certain uses of js, which, imho, will always cover a small fraction of useful cases....
    mbonocore wrote: »
    That all depends on the cases provided to us. We need to know what JS tools you need so we can develop accordingly.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    mobonocore has indicated that its better to list each of the customisations we'd like to make using javascript.
    To mobonocore -
    Regarding javascript - I need to duplicate the custom search functionality implemented on this page: http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/SkiRacing/2013-Season/May-Day/29191028_sg6vBq#!i=2486995143&k=tTjmFMP
    Try it out and see how it works. If I can do this without javascript, I would love to know how to do it.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Since I started this thread, I feel compelled to clarify. This request is to restore the functionality that facilitates user-driven, javascript-based, rapid, ad hoc development.

For each particular function currently provided via a javascript customization in Legacy SM, if it is still required but not provided in New SM, there should be a separate new feature request added to this forum, one request per thread. This is per Baldy's and mbonocore's instructions, so they can assess and possibly build those particular features into the baseline design.

But even if every one of those existing scripted features gets designed into New SM, we still need the flexibility to be able to build additional customizations as the need arises. Some of those needs may include restoring other (non-JS) lost Legacy functionality, and some of those needs cannot be anticipated at this time.

Clearer?
  • Options
    DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I consider the removal of existing functionality a bug, not a feature request. Also +1,000,000

concur - removing existing functionality for a product I have already paid for needs to be restored ASAP.

Think about the time, effort, and therefore cost that those of us that have used JS and now can no longer replicate OUR desired functionality to stand out from the plethora of template sites.

If you're concerned for some reason, just say "caveat emptor", and make it our responsibility (which it always has been anyway).
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    At the risk of having them remove CSS, they gave us the power to both screw our sites up on our own and incur "pain" when they "change things" by giving us the power to use CSS. Double Standard?

Andy
  • Options
    eddiefeddief Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Any alternative to SmugMug?
    Does anyone know of an alternative to SmugMug that allows Javascript? Otherwise, I will have to host my own home page and make a subdomain go to SmugMug (the most likely scenerio, since I LOVE SmugMug! PS: NOT a sarcastic comment!).

Example:

PicturesOfVancouver.com/index.htm <- my own hosted page, CONTAINING ANYTHING I WANT

gallery.PicturesOfVancouver.com/ <- my SmugMug page
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Why do smartphones have apps? Why do browsers have apps? Why does any environment that thrives and survives offer (in fact, need/require) apps?

Simple: Because the resources required to create the original environment are finite. There will always be (or should always be) a ratio of thousands of customers per SmugMug developer. That means, thousands of creative minds wanting to do unique things with their site, versus a very small set (by comparison) of developers who have a very limited amount of time (something less than 24 hours a day or 7 days a week) to work on additions to the site. Plus, the site becomes bloated when the developers try to give every customer everything they want. But when you include the freedom to add new features to a site (via apps, plugins or even javascript), then each customer can do their own customizing in ways that no amount of flexibility on "configuring" a set can ever accomplish.

Javascript, or some soft of app or plugin architecture is a requirement if Smugmug is to survive as something useful to Professional Photographers (not just end users uploading their family photos).
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    Since I started this thread, I feel compelled to clarify. This request is to restore the functionality that facilitates user-driven, javascript-based, rapid, ad hoc development.

For each particular function currently provided via a javascript customization in Legacy SM, if it is still required but not provided in New SM, there should be a separate new feature request added to this forum, one request per thread. This is per Baldy's and mbonocore's instructions, so they can assess and possibly build those particular features into the baseline design.

But even if every one of those existing scripted features gets designed into New SM, we still need the flexibility to be able to build additional customizations as the need arises. Some of those needs may include restoring other (non-JS) lost Legacy functionality, and some of those needs cannot be anticipated at this time.

Clearer?
    dwterry wrote: »
    Why do smartphones have apps? Why do browsers have apps? Why does any environment that thrives and survives offer (in fact, need/require) apps?

Simple: Because the resources required to create the original environment are finite. There will always be (or should always be) a ratio of thousands of customers per SmugMug developer. That means, thousands of creative minds wanting to do unique things with their site, versus a very small set (by comparison) of developers who have a very limited amount of time (something less than 24 hours a day or 7 days a week) to work on additions to the site. Plus, the site becomes bloated when the developers try to give every customer everything they want. But when you include the freedom to add new features to a site (via apps, plugins or even javascript), then each customer can do their own customizing in ways that no amount of flexibility on "configuring" a set can ever accomplish.

Javascript, or some soft of app or plugin architecture is a requirement if Smugmug is to survive as something useful to Professional Photographers (not just end users uploading their family photos).

Yes. Amen to both of you! If SmugMug needs a current list, there's a very widely-used set of fabulous JS Customizations for the Legacy site that JFriend willingly wrote, supported, & offered with great generosity & clarity here in their own Sticky: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135068&page=25 . All 30 of these are in use by 1000s of SmugMug customers as we speak. Any that aren't available in the New Smug, well, we need them. Why must we waste our time making a new list, unless it's to add to that one?? And like you both say, no one knows what needs will arise!!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com