Where to post this query ?

gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 27, 2013 in Dgrin Forum Support
I understand there are some SmugMug users who are in businesses other than as photographers - that is who offer services or sales of related items. I would love to see some of these sites, and I expect if I posted saying " would some SmugMug users who offer services other than direct photography please tell me where I can see your site ? " that some of them might answer.

But I don't know which forum is a logical place to put this request - can you suggest one ?

Thanks Bill Wilson (gbear)

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    gbear wrote: »
    ...which forum is a logical place to put this request - can you suggest one ?
    You might try Mind Your Own Business.

--- Denise
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    ^ Agree, or Wide Angle - Big Picture. But a caution… we don't allow advertising links which would be considered as spam. So it would need to not cross this line. Actually, the more I think about this request, I think it might very easily cross the line.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    I sure don't want to do anything SmugMug does not allow, so I won't ask to see sites customized on the new Smugmug which are not photography sites.

However, you may have misunderstood what I wanted. I just wanted to SEE some example sites (non - photography) to see what they had managed to do with the new Smugmug. I don't want to advertise to anybody, or become a customer of anybody, on Smugmug.

I am not quite clear how asking to see such sample sites could constitute advertising when the first "Sticky" in SUPPORT >New SmugMug Customization is:
    "Sticky - Show us your New SmugMug Customized Sites... 1, 2, 3, 4,5....Last page" This turned out to be just what I wanted after all.

Thank you very much for your help. I know you Smugmuggers are a bit overwhelmed still - hang in there, keep paddling. You are all doing a great job and the new Smugmug is (imho) a GREAT, GREAT improvement over the old one. Thanks again, Bill Wilson (gbear)
    edited August 21, 2013
    gbear wrote:
    ...some SmugMug users who are in businesses other than as photographers - that is who offer services or sales of related items. I would love to see some of these sites...

You may have misunderstood me, or I, you. A photography related site (e.g.: one that shows or sells their photos, discusses photography, blogs and how-to's about photography) are all fine, encouraged and permissible to be linked here at DGrin. Now, if someone posts a link to a business they own, or don't own, seemingly for their own gain, one that primarily sells photography equipment for a profit, then that is considered advertising and is not permissible as a DGrin link, according to our rules - linked below.

Posting rules explained
    My Smugmug
    edited August 21, 2013
    David, thanks a lot.

I am glad I read the rules as you suggested. I do have a pro site on Smugmug - which I am working on getting operational. It is about photography all right - I offer to modify client's images to resemble artwork (using photoshop etc). Smugmug is ideal since clients can order prints directly, etc. I think the new Smugmug is a great improvement over the old one.

It had not occurred to me that simply giving my site address on Smugmug could be construed as advertising !

I have never posted it, though, and now I know not to.

Thank you. Bill Wilson (gbear)

PS Being in California, it took me a double take to realize Wayne Gretzky is a hockey player - sure applies to photography, though !
    edited August 22, 2013
    gbear wrote: »
    David, thanks a lot.

I am glad I read the rules as you suggested. I do have a pro site on Smugmug - which I am working on getting operational. It is about photography all right - I offer to modify client's images to resemble artwork (using photoshop etc). Smugmug is ideal since clients can order prints directly, etc. I think the new Smugmug is a great improvement over the old one.

It had not occurred to me that simply giving my site address on Smugmug could be construed as advertising !

I have never posted it, though, and now I know not to.

PS Being in California, it took me a double take to realize Wayne Gretzky is a hockey player - sure applies to photography, though !

I think you are really misunderstanding this. Photo gallery and photo biz sites are fine to link in DGrin. I said that above. And Smugmug sites especially of course, because of the affiliation. Flickr, 500px, etc, all fine. YourCustomPhotoGalleriesDomain(dot)com - fine. And selling photos, videos on all of these, and linking here - all good.

But let's say I have DavidsCameraDeals(dot)com or IRentLensesForProfit(dot)com and want to link that. Can I be a user here and drop those links in a signature or a post? No. But is there a fine line? Yes, sort of. I don't see a real problem with photo touch up services, per se. and a link at their Smugmug site that has that in there. But if someone registers at DGrin and their first post is about their photo touch up business, and we moderators and admins figure they dropped in just for that reason, then I would probably edit or delete the post with the ad.

Oh yeah, the Wayne Gretzky thing. :D There was that quote on a wall at work, and I re-adopted it for use here.
    My Smugmug
    edited August 22, 2013
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    You may have misunderstood me, or I, you. A photography related site (e.g.: one that shows or sells their photos, discusses photography, blogs and how-to's about photography) are all fine, encouraged and permissible to be linked here at DGrin. Now, if someone posts a link to a business they own, or don't own, seemingly for their own gain, one that primarily sells photography equipment for a profit, then that is considered advertising and is not permissible as a DGrin link, according to our rules - linked below.