Options

Announce Changes/Fixes Non moving Thread

southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
edited August 27, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Can SmugMug support and Dgrin support PLEASE provide a thread above the user threads that can always be found in the same place that lists what has been just changed, added, removed, or fixed. For instance, the VERY recent change that added the NAV arrows for prev/next image back to the platform. Came right out of the blue! I would say that MOST SmugMug users do not live on DGRIN like some of us have the past few weeks. Many probably never come here at all. But for those of us who do, please consider OUR time, too. Instead of being out photographing something, we have to follow multiple threads to find out that something has changed in a long running thread. Half my emails are post updates right now. If you want, make the thread a non-posting thread that we can subscribe to. Just tell us something "new" has happened. We can complain or comment in the original threads that prompted the change.

I, and others, have asked for something like this and for a List of known Bugs and a List of Feature Requests that have been acknowledged by SM and have made it into the "to-do" list at SM. A Hero said even he was working on this. These 3 items would be a huge support to us. Guess the more requests like this the sooner we will get them!:D

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »

We're still waiting for a couple threads he promised in his first week at smugmug. :-)

Dave
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Announcements of updates and fixes should not be an occasional announcement, carefully crafted and released. It should consist of an ongoing series of notes, posted when changes are made. A major problem with the big update, the New SmugMug, is that it came out without documentation. Since then, the system has been in flux.

I guess you could argue that any documentation prepared to go with the release would be out of date now, and incorrect, and so should not have been released. ;-)

Change notices of some sort would be really helpful.
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    can smugmug support and dgrin support please provide a thread above the user threads that can always be found in the same place that lists what has been just changed, added, removed, or fixed. For instance, the very recent change that added the nav arrows for prev/next image back to the platform. Came right out of the blue! I would say that most smugmug users do not live on dgrin like some of us have the past few weeks. Many probably never come here at all. But for those of us who do, please consider our time, too. Instead of being out photographing something, we have to follow multiple threads to find out that something has changed in a long running thread. Half my emails are post updates right now. If you want, make the thread a non-posting thread that we can subscribe to. Just tell us something "new" has happened. We can complain or comment in the original threads that prompted the change.

I, and others, have asked for something like this and for a list of known bugs and a list of feature requests that have been acknowledged by sm and have made it into the "to-do" list at sm. A hero said even he was working on this. These 3 items would be a huge support to us. Guess the more requests like this the sooner we will get them!:d

+1
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »

Still in work or abandoned? Looks like he's entering feature requests into uservoice. We're not seeing official acknowledgement of most bug reports though. I'm sure smugmug has an internal bug reporting and tracking system. Any chance we can at least get occasional snapshots of what's in there? I bet it'll spit out a status report with a couple clicks.

Dave
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    FEEDBACK (uservoice) area is useless right now. Limited number of issues you can vote on per person because you have a finite number of votes to use. Too many issues to be limiting our voting rights. Remove the voting limitation.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Still in work or abandoned? Looks like he's entering feature requests into uservoice. We're not seeing official acknowledgement of most bug reports though. I'm sure smugmug has an internal bug reporting and tracking system. Any chance we can at least get occasional snapshots of what's in there? I bet it'll spit out a status report with a couple clicks.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Nope, we cannot provide any information on internal systems. This has to be a 100% fully front facing client side bug tracking tool, which believe it or not is easier said then done. Something is coming, but nothing to show today. My apologies.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
  • Options
    redcrown@mchsi.comredcrown@mchsi.com Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    I imagine a conversation like this has very likely occured...

SMUGTECHIE: The users are demanding constant updates on all bugs, missing features, and fixes we make. They want an official list in a prominent place, easy to find.

BALDY: How many bugs or missing features are there and how many have we fixed?

SMUGTECHIE: We've counted 700 bugs, 152 missing features, and we've fixed 85 of them.

BALDY: My Gawd! Do you realize what a list like that would look like? It would make us look like incompetent nincompoops for rolling out software with that many mistakes. Just keep pluggin away at the fixes and try to make them as quiet an inconsipcious as possible.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    I imagine a conversation like this has very likely occured...

SMUGTECHIE: The users are demanding constant updates on all bugs, missing features, and fixes we make. They want an official list in a prominent place, easy to find.

BALDY: How many bugs or missing features are there and how many have we fixed?

SMUGTECHIE: We've counted 700 bugs, 152 missing features, and we've fixed 85 of them.

BALDY: My Gawd! Do you realize what a list like that would look like? It would make us look like incompetent nincompoops for rolling out software with that many mistakes. Just keep pluggin away at the fixes and try to make them as quiet an inconsipcious as possible.

If we did that, why would I come on everyday an update every bug fix and feature request that we implement? I will gladly not do that anymore if you wish :D
  • Options
    redcrown@mchsi.comredcrown@mchsi.com Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    If we did that, why would I come on everyday an update every bug fix and feature request that we implement? I will gladly not do that anymore if you wish :D

Apologies for offending you, but please help us understand. When you "come on everyday", where do you come on? It appears that you and other Smugmug staff come on in various threads scattered across multiple Dgrin forums. For me to come on and look for status, it appears I have to browse many places and wade through non-essential messages looking for items of interest to me.

For example, I was interested in the ability to "discard" customizations. That was a feature request that was implemented recently, but I found out about it only by tripping over it when browsing the customization forum.

Now I'm interested in the ability to copy my custom design so I can work on a new version while safely preserving the old. There are multiple threads about that, and in one of them a staffer acknowledged it was being worked on.

How will I know when it's been implemented? Where is the one place, a master list, that says, "Topic, sub-topic... status", that I can check periodically. A list maintained by Smugmug and Smugmug only, not cluttered by user comments.