Options

Understanding My Sitemap & Visitor Stats

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited September 11, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Please bear with me as I try to understand how my sitemap to Google, and my visitor stats are all working in the new Smugmug.

First, let us look at my sitemap question. My sitemap indicated that at the beginning of the month I had over 3,000 urls submitted with over 2000 indexed. Suddenly on the 19th it dropped to 190 Sumbitted and only 25 Indexed.

i-FvdJM7c-L.png

Why would this have happened? I unveiled the new site around the 8th or 9th. This is a bad thing, right?

Ok, now about visitors to my site according to Statcounter, Google & Smugmug. I always used Statcounter as my main tool, and it always seemed accurate. When I'd compare it to Google Analytics they seemed pretty close. Not so anymore.

Here's my Statcounter from the past week. Note the giant spike of traffic from yesterday. When I check visitor paths I can see that there are not over 1000 visitors, but that there were a couple of people who both looked at literally hundreds of photos, as well as a good number of visitors browsing around. It seems it's now reading some, certain visitors as a unique visit for each image they open in lightbox.

i-3gnjZ5M-L.png

Why is it doing this? I don't remember it doing this before, on the legacy site. Could it be something to do with how Smugmug modified the script in order to implement it they way they do?

In Google Analytics things look more normal. It shows only 80 visitors yesterday. This is what I'd expect as I just don't get as much traffic as some those big-city hotshots... LOL

i-3HsSWQh-L.png

As for Smugmug, I never use it but thought I'd show its records. I believe it's trying to show how many actual images were viewed? Is that what it does?

i-PfHHzzX-L.png

Comments

• Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    This is what's happening today. There's a visitor that is browsing a gallery of photo of my wife. I'd posted an old shot onto facebook, and they followed it to my site. Now they're opening images in lightbox. Each time they do, it's registering them as a new visitor from Facebook.

I can't recall it doing that before, when we were on legacy.

i-hR45qDd-L.png

And I have been thinking about why my Google Indexing may have dropped off. I use Collage Landscape for all my galleries. I cannot see my keywords as they are not visible in Collage. When you open an image in lightbox, you cannot see the words. Can Google no longer find them?

Or is the Robot.txt that google has said is blocking over 3,000 URLs???

i-HvHWTV4-L.png
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    This is what's happening today. There's a visitor that is browsing a gallery of photo of my wife. I'd posted an old shot onto facebook, and they followed it to my site. Now they're opening images in lightbox. Each time they do, it's registering them as a new visitor from Facebook.
    I believe that is a wrong interpretation. No one opens another image in lightbox every one or two seconds, not with this constancy. From the third entry on there are 2, 1, 1, 2, 0, 4, 4, 5, 2 seconds between the hits.
    This might be anchors links (#), not sure what they are for, but it seems Facebooks is parsing them.

And I have been thinking about why my Google Indexing may have dropped off. I use Collage Landscape for all my galleries. I cannot see my keywords as they are not visible in Collage. When you open an image in lightbox, you cannot see the words. Can Google no longer find them?
    I believe it can. Check the page sources and you can see all keywords related to it, like this [shortend ;)]:
    <meta name="keywords" content="Teresa, Teri, Lutz, Renee, Lukasik, Murray, Wilkerson,
    Check out this -> http://tinyurl.com/nacdc2x Seems Google creates a link for every keyword on my site.
    When doing this for your site, I don't see similar results, but (as I believe) old(er) entries. Don't know why. While doing it, use "search tools" and filter by "past month" it shows 4 or 5 entries.
    Or is the Robot.txt that google has said is blocking over 3,000 URLs???
    I don't think so - what is blocked is the ./date page (the date search you got) Don't ask me why they blocking it, but I guess its because of the enormous content crawlers would have to go through, when some has a huge keyword list and a date search (and by this double content)
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    I'll break up my replies into different posts as I address your points.
    ablichter wrote: »
    I believe that is a wrong interpretation. No one opens another image in lightbox every one or two seconds, not with this constancy. From the third entry on there are 2, 1, 1, 2, 0, 4, 4, 5, 2 seconds between the hits.
    This might be anchors links (#), not sure what they are for, but it seems Facebooks is parsing them.

I just check what images they are. They're all in sequential order. Whomever this viewer is just seems to be clicking the Right arrow key, and is scanning through images. I've seen lots of users do this sort of behavior. On the legacy site it wasn't as common. Mostly due to how the interface was divided up, with the one image on the right, and the thumbnails on the left. People used the thumbnails to click around. In this collage style it seems people mainly scroll the page, but occasionally I see how people are just clipping along, I'm assuming they're hitting that arrow to quickly move.

I still don't understand why it's counting each click as a new visitor in my total stats for the day. I never saw that happen before.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    I still don't understand why it's counting each click as a new visitor in my total stats for the day. I never saw that happen before.
    Since I don't know where you are in GA or webmasters tool, I can't tell for sure: are this new visitors (and why you believe in that) or just hits which were logged?

Edit
    I just check what images they are. They're all in sequential order.
    Because the entry page IMHO was the Gallery itself? And all images in there were checked/parsed by facebook? Don't underestimate what facebook collects
    As said: no one clicks that fast through a lightbox. IMVHO.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    I believe it can. Check the page sources and you can see all keywords related to it, like this [shortend ;)]:

The keywords you listed are just the ones for the gallery, and not the ones used to tag each image. On the legacy site we had been told that we needed to keep the photo keywords visible or google wouldn't index them. I don't have them hidden, but they cannot be seen on any particular page other than in a search. This dramatic drop off in indexed pages makes me wonder if now that I am using collage, and a you can't see the keywords, if this is the cause. Or is it the robot.tx, which has blocked over 3000 urls?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Since I don't know where you are in GA or webmasters tool, I can't tell for sure: are this new visitors (and why you believe in that) or just hits which were logged?

i-3gnjZ5M-L.png

I see it in Statcounter, not Google. The graph below shows inflated hits from yesterday due to two viewers who quickly clicked through entire wedding galleries. They both came via Google search. This graph was made today, before the user I have a screenshot of. Today's stats are inflated due to them clicking quickly along in lightbox, having come from Facebook.

As I mentioned, this was not something I'd seen before on the legacy site. I am wondering if there is a glitch in how Statcounter was incorporated into Smugmug?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Edit
    Because the entry page IMHO was the Gallery itself? And all images in there were checked/parsed by facebook? Don't underestimate what facebook collects
    As said: no one clicks that fast through a lightbox. IMVHO.

If that were the case, wouldn't the rest of my visitors coming in from facebook today have the same behavior? This is the only instance today. Who knows why people do what they do?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    The keywords you listed are just the ones for the gallery, and not the ones used to tag each image. On the legacy site we had been told that we needed to keep the photo keywords visible or google wouldn't index them. I don't have them hidden, but they cannot be seen on any particular page other than in a search. This dramatic drop off in indexed pages makes me wonder if now that I am using collage, and a you can't see the keywords, if this is the cause. Or is it the robot.tx, which has blocked over 3000 urls?
    I have my keywords invisible as well and as said it seems Google had indexed them pretty well. Also using collage landscape.
    About the 3.000 Urls: check your robot.txt and compare it with your sitemap. Only ./date is blocked.

You might point us/me to a specific image and tell us what the keywords on this image are.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Who knows why people do what they do?
    You have to consider a slight latency between what was "done" on your site/SM's servers and when it was submitted to google.
    If you see a hit every second the action maybe took place every 0.5 second.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    You have to consider a slight latency between what was "done" on your site/SM's servers and when it was submitted to google.
    If you see a hit every second the action maybe took place every 0.5 second.

It's not Google tracking. It's Statcounter.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    You might point us/me to a specific image and tell us what the keywords on this image are.

IMG_4004_Pennsic-War-XXXIV%20%281%29-M.jpg

Keywords: Tuchux; Charity; Tournement; fight; bearpit;
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    What is giving me the most concern is the dramatic drop in Indexed pages I see. I had thousands of pages that were once indexed, but now only 43! I have 123 galleries open to the public, so that means a lot of my galleries are no longer indexed. Right? I am also not getting images back when I do a Site:Lutzr2.smugmug.com Google image search. It has less than 40! It once had a lot more. Something is not working here.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    What is giving me the most concern is the dramatic drop in Indexed pages I see. I had thousands of pages that were once indexed, but now only 43! I have 123 galleries open to the public, so that means a lot of my galleries are no longer indexed. Right? I am also not getting images back when I do a Site:Lutzr2.smugmug.com Google image search. It has less than 40! It once had a lot more. Something is not working here.
    ??? According to your footer your site is http://www.ronlutzii-photographer.com/ not http://Lutzr2.smugmug.com. Usually the original SM site shows lesser (none) results when someone has redirected it to an own domain name.
    And here the question rises which one you are really analyzing in Webmaster tools/GA/Statcounter?

Your sitemap is pointing to http://www.ronlutzii-photographer.com/ and you better never would communicate http://Lutzr2.smugmug.com nor use it for analytic matters. Better forget this URL. ;)

Try site:http://www.ronlutzii-photographer.com/ and you will see that you have hundreds of links.
    But as said they are pretty old.

Regarding GIS: you have RCP activated. I thought it would be widely known already, that if RCP is enabled, GIS will not be able to grab them.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    It's always RonLutzII-Photographer.com I use. I don't know why I searched Lutzr2. Brain is wearing out...

Anyway, doing a search for the keywords under that image had once resulted in the page it's hosted on appearing in google web search, not image search. Now it doesn't at all.

Out of curiosity I just checked your path through my site. I see a few places where it shows you jumping from on image to another with only a second in-between. I tried to take a screen shot, but Smug seems to be having trouble with uploads right now. You're still only counting as ONE visitor though. If you have Facebook, and want to do an experiment, add me. Then access my site via the latest image I posted today. Click through the gallery as fast as possible. We'll see if it counts you as ONE visitor, or many.

My facebook.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    It's always RonLutzII-Photographer.com I use. I don't know why I searched Lutzr2. Brain is wearing out...

Anyway, doing a search for the keywords under that image had once resulted in the page it's hosted on appearing in google web search, not image search. Now it doesn't at all.

Out of curiosity I just checked your path through my site. I see a few places where it shows you jumping from on image to another with only a second in-between. I tried to take a screen shot, but Smug seems to be having trouble with uploads right now. You're still only counting as ONE visitor though. If you have Facebook, and want to do an experiment, add me. Then access my site via the latest image I posted today. Click through the gallery as fast as possible. We'll see if it counts you as ONE visitor, or many.

My facebook.
    Okay I will check out that tom (in ~12 hours) Its late here on this side of the planet already.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Out of curiosity I just checked your path through my site. I see a few places where it shows you jumping from on image to another with only a second in-between.
    No, I didn't. I was in on the gallery view and clicked max. 2 images of it for watching them in lightbox.

Ps
    would like to suggest to switch to PM for not annoying the others in here.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Okay I will check out that tom (in ~12 hours) Its late here on this side of the planet already.

Cool beans. Gut schlafen.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013

I can't recall it doing that before, when we were on legacy.

i-hR45qDd-L.png
    I checked my StatCounter. Your are in visitors path view, right? What is shown by this log is the summary what one or more users with an IP of "Armstrong Utilities" (Cable & Satellite Services) did on your FB site.
    On top is the referring link he was on and below the target in SM to which it refers to.
    According to this lines of the log, "Armstrong Utilities" has not visited your SM site directly. Check the "recent visitor activity" - for its browser might be shown "Google Web Preview" which points to a crawler.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    OK, I took a bit of a break from the site stuff until I knew the "sitemap-galleryimages" issue had been resolved. Today my appeared.

i-HvBGTtC-L.png

Today over 12,296 pages were submitted, but only 57 were indexed. 12, 098 Images were submitted with ZERO being indexed.

i-S7PhKxd-L.png

On the Right-Click thread it was pointed out that images with RCP wouldn't be indexed in Google Image Searches. A couple of weeks ago I turned RCP off in a less traveled gallery, but one where the images had unique keywords. At least they should have appeared, right?

I have asked this repeatedly on this thread and in others; is the problem due to my choosing Collage Landscape over Smugmug style layout?

Here's a screenshot I took of an image in Smugmug style. (this was about a separate issue, so ignore the red circle) Note you can SEE the keywords.

i-s6V458k-L.jpg

In Collage style you cannot see them anywhere. You either have a wall of images, or a lightbox full screen image of the one you click. If you have a description it's on a transparent field.

Does choosing this style mean my image pages are not indexed because Google can't seen a specific photos keywords (not the gallery keywords)?
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    OK, I took a bit of a break from the site stuff until I knew the "sitemap-galleryimages" issue had been resolved. Today my appeared.
    And you have seven of them ;)
    Today over 12,296 pages were submitted, but only 57 were indexed. 12, 098 Images were submitted with ZERO being indexed.
    The reading should be: "Today a sitemap with 12.296 pages were submitted, but since I am unveiled Google only indexed 57 pages."
    Be patient. Google does not jump in and index your site just because you submit a sitemap in webmaster tools.
    We didn't even need to submit a sitemap, because at the end our robots.txt is an entry by which crawlers are pointed to the maps.
    On the Right-Click thread it was pointed out that images with RCP wouldn't be indexed in Google Image Searches. A couple of weeks ago I turned RCP off in a less traveled gallery, but one where the images had unique keywords. At least they should have appeared, right?
    I have asked this repeatedly on this thread and in others; is the problem due to my choosing Collage Landscape over Smugmug style layout?
    No, I use Cl myself and almost all my images are indexed already.
    Here's a screenshot I took of an image in Smugmug style. (this was about a separate issue, so ignore the red circle) Note you can SEE the keywords.

i-s6V458k-L.jpg

In Collage style you cannot see them anywhere. You either have a wall of images, or a lightbox full screen image of the one you click. If you have a description it's on a transparent field.

Does choosing this style mean my image pages are not indexed because Google can't seen a specific photos keywords (not the gallery keywords)?
    Its all good. Google will find your images without a sitemap, but now as we have a sitemap-galleryimages, it might find all and may index them faster. See the attachment - the first (larger) images are those 50 - 60 from a CL galleries.
    Also check Google-Index -> Content Keywords for the keyword found for images.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Cool beans. That totally answered my question about that. I will just keep moving along then.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Cool beans. That totally answered my question about that. I will just keep moving along then.
    Also, about indexing: I've gathered from a bunch of reading that Google indexing doesn't care about keywords under a photo; that in fact they ignore them and instead look at captions and gallery descriptions. (Unless I'm mixing up info about specifically Image Search with the regular searches). Also, about RCP... Have we had any recent (i.e. since the New Smug) information from any SmugMug employees who know for certain about the effects of RCP on both regular searches and image searches? Again, I may have missed stuff there-- was away & am still catching up on threads. But I know for certain that there has been mis-information given in the past by SmugMug employees about RCP... some of which set off a bit of a firestorm & scramble by some to un-RCP their photos. Then we learned that RCP was not affecting either kind of search, Image or Regular, and that that employee had mis-spoken. However, more recent tests by some may be showing otherwise. I really want to know if something has changed, or if there's some kind of negotiating that SmugMug has to do, or what. (And also, are the RCP- photo results the same for both Legacy and New Smug, or is there something in New Smug that's preventing Google from indexing RCP-ed photos for Image Search?)
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    Also, about indexing: I've gathered from a bunch of reading that Google indexing doesn't care about keywords under a photo; that in fact they ignore them and instead look at captions and gallery descriptions. (Unless I'm mixing up info about specifically Image Search with the regular searches).

I'm not sure about that. In the last month I had a viewer come to my site via Google using a unique search term. They were looking for "landschneckt," and according to Webmaster tools they found my keyword page on their 3rd search page at number 15. There is only ONE image on my site with that keyword, and it doesn't appear in any descriptions, or captions.

This is why I get alarmed when I hear they're robot blocking keyword pages. Over the summer I had thousands of 404 errors from Google trying to crawl them. Now I get 1/day.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    It just occurred to me it was the actual page that hosts that keyword, and not the keyword under the photo. In other words, you're right, it didn't find the photo, just the "virtual" page that comes from Smugmug that tags that photo.

Wow, I never thought of that. So does that mean SM has to generate a page for each keyword on my site? How does their system handle that? Just curious.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    [...]
    This is why I get alarmed when I hear they're robot blocking keyword pages. Over the summer I had thousands of 404 errors from Google trying to crawl them. Now I get 1/day.
    They don't block /keyword, they uses to do that in the past (2011 or so). Check out what is blocked by adding /robots.txt to the end of your sites URL.
    And don't fool yourself by listening to the rumors someone is launching not knowing how things work their self.
    Don't only look on the first pages in webmaster tools or Statcounter - it helps to dig deeper and analyze why you get 404 where from.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    [...]
    Wow, I never thought of that. So does that mean SM has to generate a page for each keyword on my site? How does their system handle that? Just curious.
    Simple by delivering a sitemap-galleryimages.xml. I told you the other day that all your keywords are in there to find.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    Also, about indexing: I've gathered from a bunch of reading that Google indexing doesn't care about keywords under a photo; that in fact they ignore them and instead look at captions and gallery descriptions. (Unless I'm mixing up info about specifically Image Search with the regular searches). Also, about RCP... Have we had any recent (i.e. since the New Smug) information from any SmugMug employees who know for certain about the effects of RCP on both regular searches and image searches? Again, I may have missed stuff there-- was away & am still catching up on threads. But I know for certain that there has been mis-information given in the past by SmugMug employees about RCP... some of which set off a bit of a firestorm & scramble by some to un-RCP their photos. Then we learned that RCP was not affecting either kind of search, Image or Regular, and that that employee had mis-spoken. However, more recent tests by some may be showing otherwise. I really want to know if something has changed, or if there's some kind of negotiating that SmugMug has to do, or what. (And also, are the RCP- photo results the same for both Legacy and New Smug, or is there something in New Smug that's preventing Google from indexing RCP-ed photos for Image Search?)
    Yepp, was said before in the RCP thread: we got an official statement (by Michael B) that RCP avoids images from being indexed by Google.
    Since I removed RCP my images show up. As said first time ever, because when I have been here before in 2009, I also RCP.

Since you a long time with SM already, lots of your images should be in Googles images, but I only can see four pages. Which is what I got after three week without RCP -> http://tinyurl.com/lyo8q7y

You easily can prove yourself -> click on the first image in here -> http://tinyurl.com/ldcdba8
    This (1937 Auburn Cord with Supercharger Pipes) and its other display sizes are RCPed. Now click on the image to the right - you will be led to this image -> http://www.winsomeworks.com/Portfolio/AnnaLisaYoder-PhotoFavorites/i-NDZLT54/0/L/P6289650-L.jpg which is not RCped and the reason why it is to find in Google images.

Another one: in the first link provided scroll down to the last page (#4?), until the little image with the "little boy biting in a bread body" appears.
    Same here: you will be led to this image -> http://www.winsomeworks.com/Family/Other-Holidays/Easter-Week-2009-with-Family/i-kNhcL9t/1/Ti/DSC_5886-Ti.jpg , which is not RCPed and the reason why this is to find in Google Images. And of course only this small size...

And once again: RCP is (ähm, is the right word dupery?) bullshit. Those who wants to steal your image in order to make their own prints, know exactly how to get the largest possible size.

The questions where the keywords come from is obsolete now, because we got our sitemap-galleryimages back, in which all keywords for every single image are listed.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    The reason I created this thread is to learn. I have indeed learned a lot. Thanks all.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    And once again: RCP is (ähm, is the right word dupery?) bullshit. Those who wants to steal your image in order to make their own prints, know exactly how to get the largest possible size.

I agree that a person with know how can steal your stuff. Heck, anyone who simply goes to get a link, and copies/pastes the direct image url in their browser can then right-click save. I've found that more folks are not so savvy, and simply try it once. I used this opportunity to point them to the share features. Only time will tell if this works.

There's an event I shoot annually. It gets a lot of traffic, and many of the folks who attend have added me on FB. I see a lot of my images that were snagged off my old site using right-click used on Facebook by them. I don't see any from my new site.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    I agree that a person with know how can steal your stuff. Heck, anyone who simply goes to get a link
    Which are all to see in the sitemap-galleryindex.xml ;)
    There's an event I shoot annually. It gets a lot of traffic, and many of the folks who attend have added me on FB. I see a lot of my images that were snagged off my old site using right-click used on Facebook by them. I don't see any from my new site.
    Hm, as I can see you have enabled the share thingy, so how do you know it was by right click? Or do you mean they snagged it without a link back to your site?

Just for clearing it up for me: the link in your signature points where to? New or old site?