Options

Statistics on Likes?

NAubinNAubin Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited November 5, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Is there a place I can see how many people have hit the "Like" button against my pictures.

Its not in the stats section under account settings?

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited September 13, 2013
    I'm not aware of any place to see a number but you can see the photos that have been "liked" on the popular page, /popular.

--- Denise
  • Options
    FlounderFlounder Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    Denise is correct. They are part of the SmugMug sitewide photoranking system. To prevent people from gaming the system, we do not show those votes.

If you have any questions or problems, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Nick Wilson
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    Flounder wrote: »
    They are part of the SmugMug sitewide photoranking system.
    That'll be the SmugMug sitewide photoranking system where the display of "populars" is still broken in New SM.
    See http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1884812&postcount=6 and onwards, it's still not fixed.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    NAubinNAubin Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    Flounder wrote: »
    Denise is correct. They are part of the SmugMug sitewide photoranking system. To prevent people from gaming the system, we do not show those votes.

So I just wanted to see which of my own pictures were the most popular and how many votes they had had. I don't see the point of having a "like" button if you can't see anything about the liked items???
  • Options
    NAubin wrote: »
    So I just wanted to see which of my own pictures were the most popular and how many votes they had had. I don't see the point of having a "like" button if you can't see anything about the liked items???

I agree. Surely "Gaming the system" is only an issue if it is actually a game and if there's something up for grabs for the winner. Is there is such a game and prize?

Anyway, the system can be "Gamed" anyway - if you log out you can "Like" your own pics, and they do jump up your "popular" list. Unlike leaving a comment to hike a pic's popularity, "Liking" doesn't depend on being logged-in.

Ideally I'd like to see a dedicated icon (call it Rating, Score, Kudos or whatever) which would bring up a small window that lists how many "Likes", Stars (as per Legacy), comments and (maybe) views each pics has. Just a simple table of values would suffice. Something akin to the "Info" icon/window and in the same row of icons, perhaps? Or maybe just add an additional section to the "Info" window below the EXIF data?

There's some scope here for SM to give us something simple and informative, and I would have thought that such a thing would be easy to implement. I wonder if SM would rise to the challenge?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    I think what they mean by "Gaming the system" is any liked or thumbs up photos appear on the main
    Smugmug site on the popular photo pages. Those "gaming" get their photos artificially exposed to
    the public versus everyone else.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Allen wrote: »
    I think what they mean by "Gaming the system" is any liked or thumbs up photos appear on the main
    Smugmug site on the popular photo pages. Those "gaming" get their photos artificially exposed to
    the public versus everyone else.
    Are people really that sad?
  • Options
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Are people really that sad?
    Unfortunately they are.

I had a friend who was contributing the the daily photo community. She dropped out pretty fast because she found that her photos had little chance of being seen because of the people who were gaming the system.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Unfortunately they are.

I had a friend who was contributing the the daily photo community. She dropped out pretty fast because she found that her photos had little chance of being seen because of the people who were gaming the system.

--- Denise
    Wow, that's hardly community-minded. A prime example of the few spoiling things for the many.

There must be a way around this.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    Wow, that's hardly community-minded. A prime example of the few spoiling things for the many.

There must be a way around this.

That's something we are trying to figure out thumb.gif

Denise and Allen are right though. It happened all the time. :cry
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    That's something we are trying to figure out thumb.gif

Denise and Allen are right though. It happened all the time. :cry

So is there a valid reason why the daily photo community have to use the SmugMug sitewide photoranking system? Can't they have a dedicated and separate scorepad?
  • Options
    pekrpekr Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    Hi,

any news in that regard. After 14 days trial, I am now a new smugmugger :-) I also wondered, what is the Like button for, if it can't be actually used effectively. IMO what most ppl would expect is not the ability to make higher ranking, but means of a feedback. I love hearts for Events, but right now it is expensive for me. Having a feedback and a means to select photos for printing, are two different things imo. Like button without any ability to at least see the statistics in the profile statistics section, is imo pretty much useless functionality. It simply has zero sense, unless I miss something obvious here?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    I think the "like button" is ridiculous. What are visitors to think? Is it a "like" on Facebook? NO - it just feeds this sites popular photos.
    Just about every site you go to on the internet the "like" is for Facebook.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    pekr wrote: »
    ...Like button without any ability to at least see the statistics in the profile statistics section, is imo pretty much useless functionality. It simply has zero sense, unless I miss something obvious here?
    The only place you can see the thumbs up (and it is without numbers) is on the popular page, <your site url>/popular.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pekrpekr Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    Hello Denise,

right, I know, I read your earlier reply. After two weeks with SM, this is second topic SM seems to be stubborn upon, not actually listening, what a userbase really wants and needs :-) The first one is the inability to anonymously comment, even if the gallery is unlisted or protected by password. Those are the things, which simply don't make any sense here.

If we can't get Likes for the purpose of colleting of feedback (I can understand you don't want to canibalise your more expensive option - Events), then at least make Like what nowadays everybody expects Like to be for - the facebook liking. That way, the word about SM is being spread too. Now for the first time in my carrier I wish, that Facebook would own a copyright on the Like button, to stop missusing it for something 90% of users does not expect :-)

And here's one question, and one suggestion - can the button be removed unless I remove other social functionality too? And the suggestion - change the icon - reverse of Download button - up arrow - bump up the photo.

The worst thing is, that I know, that you know, that we are right :-), and the sad part is - I expect SM to do nothing about that, because it just fits SM company needs ...

I hope my reasoning makes some sense though ...
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2013
    The Like Button is so invisible and the comments so uphill and hidden comments have all but stopped for me since moving to new smugmug.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2013
    So is there a valid reason why the daily photo community have to use the SmugMug sitewide photoranking system? Can't they have a dedicated and separate scorepad?

For the record, that wasn't a rhetorical question.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    The Like Button is so invisible and the comments so uphill and hidden comments have all but stopped for me since moving to new smugmug.

Cheers,

Traffic up (for whatever reasons), comments virtually gone (I think it is one non-test comment since migration.

Heck, it's almost impossible for someone unfamiliar with it to see other comments anyway, since Collage Landscape is where most people browse, and there's ZERO indication of a comment there, or that one can leave one.