Options

Smugmug migration

ElyEly Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited October 12, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I dont want to migrate to the new version basically because from what I understand all the advanced settings would be lost which is very annoying since I spent so much time entering all the codes and I am perfectly happy with the website the way it is with no time to re-edit it etc

So my first and most important question is: is there a way I can keep using the old Smugmug or will Smugmug at some point automatically migrate all accounts?

Also, if like I hope I can keep the website the way it is, there is a thing that really annoys me. When I click on am image in a gallery and that automatically visualizes the large image with all the functions on top of the image (size, owner saver, collect photo, show details, close etc) there is this green thing saying "Check out the new Smugmug" that doesnt let me use any of those functions. Is there a way I can get rid of it and use all those buttons like I used to?

Thanks
http://www.eleonoracollini.com/

Comments

• Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Unfortunately the answer is that no you can't keep the old Smugmug, at some point you have to migrate. However at the moment there is no time frame for when you have to change by. If I were you I would start looking at the new smugmug and also whether or not there are things missing that you are currently doing. Missing features are still being added but once I got going I found the process not too bad and I much prefer the new version now. There are also a lot of people here willing to answer questions if you have problems with the change. It's not the answer you want and it's a bit of a pain to HAVE to upgrade but I think in the end it is worth it.

For the question about 'Check out the new smugmug' button - I don't know the answer to that, sorry. Maybe one of the others can help?

Rich
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    You have a very simple and elegant website - I don't know what you think you will be losing by migrating? You will just have an even more simple and elegant website which will look more contemporary and ultimately be easier to use. What 'advanced settings' do you currently have that you are afraid of losing?
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    Unfortunately the answer is that no you can't keep the old Smugmug, at some point you have to migrate. However at the moment there is no time frame for when you have to change by. If I were you I would start looking at the new smugmug and also whether or not there are things missing that you are currently doing. Missing features are still being added but once I got going I found the process not too bad and I much prefer the new version now. There are also a lot of people here willing to answer questions if you have problems with the change. It's not the answer you want and it's a bit of a pain to HAVE to upgrade but I think in the end it is worth it.

For the question about 'Check out the new smugmug' button - I don't know the answer to that, sorry. Maybe one of the others can help?

Rich

Thank you so much for your answer. This is really bad news. I have zero time to look into the upgrade and everything. I built my website 2 years ago and the thought of having to look into it again scares me as I am not exactly web design literate and back then it took me forever. As I said at the moment I barely have any time to update the galleries. I hope that at least Smugmug will give a good notice when they are going to migrate everything.
    Is there a way to preview things and then switch back to the current version?
    Thanks again
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    You have a very simple and elegant website - I don't know what you think you will be losing by migrating? You will just have an even more simple and elegant website which will look more contemporary and ultimately be easier to use. What 'advanced settings' do you currently have that you are afraid of losing?

Thank you. I am assuming that by Advance Settings they mean all the codes that you can optionally enter manually in the Advanced Customization section? I entered quite a few in the CSS section and also the Header and Bottom Javascript. Maybe there is a way to simply copy and paste those in the new Smugmug Advanced Customize section?
    Thanks again for taking time to reply to my questions
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Is there a way to preview things and then switch back to the current version?

Yes, you can play with the new site until you are ready to 'unveil'. Up until that point your original site should remain unchanged. There is an exception to this though in that the galleries are the same for both so if you change a gallery in your new site it will change in the old site as well.

Why don't you post up your CSS and javascript here along with what they are for and folks here can probably tell you how that translates in the new Smugmug. Note that the new Smugmug doesn't allow ANY javascript but they are trying to replace all the things that used to be done with javascript with either what they call content blocks or built in features (such as for Google Analytics). In many ways it's easier as you shouldn't have to change your javascript when, for example, Google changes what they want the javascript to look like.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Thanks Rich. I will look into things and post everything later.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Do have a play though and see what is going to be possible. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You'll still have months (maybe many, many months - who knows) to decide on the new layout before you hit 'unveil' but it took me two or three hours from start to finish and I have a huge number of galleries and categories compared to you. Apart from one or two minor tweaks which only I would notice, I haven't needed to touch it since.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Thanks. I will and definitely come back with questions. You are probably more web design literate than me. Maybe it's possible to simply copy and paste those codes

In the meantime I would be extremely grateful if someone could get back to me about this. Thanks!
    Ely wrote: »
    When I click on am image in a gallery and that automatically visualizes the large image with all the functions on top of the image (size, owner saver, collect photo, show details, close etc) there is this green thing saying "Check out the new Smugmug" that doesnt let me use any of those functions. Is there a way I can get rid of it and use all those buttons like I used to?

Thanks
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Very good questions. I have same.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Simple question: if I publish in New Smugmug, can I revert to Legacy Smugmug?
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    agallia wrote: »

Once you have unveiled then, no - your old site will no longer exist so make sure you have tried lots of options and are completely satisfied before you unveil.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    That's been asked so many times that I'd be amazed if it's not somewhere on every page of this forum!

No, you can't.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013

Yes.

Publishing does not permanently switch you to the new SmugMug. Only clicking Unveil, then following that with verifying the Unveil will permanently switch you to the New SmugMug. Eventually we will be migrating all accounts over to the New SmugMug but that is many months away and we will give plenty of advanced warning :).
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Yes.

Publishing does not permanently switch you to the new SmugMug. Only clicking Unveil, then following that with verifying the Unveil will permanently switch you to the New SmugMug. Eventually we will be migrating all accounts over to the New SmugMug but that is many months away and we will give plenty of advanced warning :).

Thanks.

Sorry to ask again but since I want to keep my site the way it is for a while and not switch to the new Smugmug just yet mainly due to lack of time, could you please reply to this? thanks
    When I click on am image in a gallery and that automatically visualizes the large image with all the functions on top of the image (size, owner saver, collect photo, show details, close etc) there is this green thing saying "Check out the new Smugmug" that doesnt let me use any of those functions. Is there a way I can get rid of it and use all those buttons like I used to?

• Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Terminology for testing out the new smugmug:

Migrate: "migrates" your site so that you can play with your formatting in the new smugmug. Migration allows you and others to continue to use the legacy site. Some changes in the new smugmug (or in the legacy) do not translate perfectly between each other (changes in galleries, creation of new galleries) affect both sites). I have migrated my site but make all changes to my gallery on my legacy site (i.e. adding photos, creating new galleries) right now).

Publish: Publish allows you to update the design of your site in the new smugmug, but does not change the legacy nor change what visitors to your site see when they are not logged in as you (i.e. they still see the legacy site). Using "Publish" you can work on your site to make it look OK. However, you can't preview the site exactly as it will look to visitors -- because you will be logged in, and there's no "visitor view". I am currently playing with this version.

Unveil: Unveil makes your new site available to your visitors. If you unveil you can't go back. I have not unveiled.

(And, another quirk: new galleries must start with a capital letter or number -- this is true in the legacy & the new smugmug, though only the new smugmug explicitly tells you of the restriction).
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Yes.

To be fair, that's correct according to SM's terminology.
    In the real world, though, "publishing" would be revealing your tome to the public, much like those olde-worlde "book" things, and once your New SM site is revealed to that same public your bridge will be burned.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Thanks.

Sorry to ask again but since I want to keep my site the way it is for a while and not switch to the new Smugmug just yet mainly due to lack of time, could you please reply to this? thanks

Hmm, the "check out the new SmugMug" button should not be interfering with your site. Can you maybe try changing the browser zoom size? Click View > Zoom to zoom in/out and see if that help.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Hmm, the "check out the new SmugMug" button should not be interfering with your site. Can you maybe try changing the browser zoom size? Click View > Zoom to zoom in/out and see if that help.

No alas that doesnt work. I also tried with a different browser (Firefox instead of Safari) but nothing. I cant click on any of those buttons anymore, not even the ones that are not cover by the green "check out the new smugmug" thingie
  • Options
    rbrtrbrt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Thanks. I will and definitely come back with questions. You are probably more web design literate than me. Maybe it's possible to simply copy and paste those codes

In the meantime I would be extremely grateful if someone could get back to me about this. Thanks!
    No alas that doesnt work. I also tried with a different browser (Firefox instead of Safari) but nothing. I cant click on any of those buttons anymore, not even the ones that are not cover by the green "check out the new smugmug" thingie

I noticed this as well on my legacy site. It interferes if you're logged in. Visitors to the site will not have that problem.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    For those of you having the problem what homepage theme are you using in Legacy?
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    To be fair, that's correct according to SM's terminology.
    In the real world, though, "publishing" would be revealing your tome to the public, much like those olde-worlde "book" things, and once your New SM site is revealed to that same public your bridge will be burned.
    I agree; that choice of wording, no matter which "king's" English you're used to, was quite unfortunate and highly confusing. I wonder how many posts I've seen from many people concerned about what would happen when they hit "publish". Aargh. Depending what percentage of SMugMuggers have switched over, they should perhaps still change it to prevent all the future confusion.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    For those of you having the problem what homepage theme are you using in Legacy?

Looks like "Black Arts" http://www.eleonoracollini.com/

I wonder who made that theme a hundred years ago :hide
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    It looks like Ely's talking about the Lightbox view, right? When I go to Lightbox view, I no longer see the "Check out the New SmugMug" button. My site-wide theme is "Gradient Grey". (null on homepage) However, that button is still highly annoying, and in some galleries a real PITA because it makes me have to scroll down just to see my captions! That's not normal for me, and really, they need to get rid of that button and at the very least, just let it show up one time on the homepage or something. I sure don't need it in every gallery! The thing is, "check out" the new Smug... I don't even know what that means; it could mean "Migrate", which some are not prepared to do right now. If it's not clear what it means, how many people are really gonna click it anyway?
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    There is a bug with a few homepage themes (not sure which ones, sorry) where the links get covered up by the "try new SmugMug" in Lightbox view. I would suggest switching to a different but similar looking theme. I know the Basic > White theme does this.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    rbrt wrote: »
    I noticed this as well on my legacy site. It interferes if you're logged in. Visitors to the site will not have that problem.

Yeah it works fine for visitors but the problem is that there is a lot of editing functions you cant use when you are logged in. it's very annoying
  • Options
    rbrtrbrt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Yeah it works fine for visitors but the problem is that there is a lot of editing functions you cant use when you are logged in. it's very annoying

I use the "White" theme. Tested a few other themes... Default, White (Old), SmugMug Gradient seem to be okay.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I now switched to Black but I still have the same problem. I tried Black Curtain as well. Not only I didnt like it but I had the same problem. I just cant go Red or all Hippie with flowers ;) I want my site to be black. Moreover some of the themes would affect my customization
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I now switched to Black but I still have the same problem. I tried Black Curtain as well. Not only I didnt like it but I had the same problem. I just cant go Red or all Hippie with flowers ;) I want my site to be black. Moreover some of the themes would affect my customization
    Sounds like for now you'd have to switch the theme to one that works (button doesn't cover tools) just when you're wanting to work on it. Then switch back before exiting so your viewers will see the theme you want them to. Or doesn't that work as a work-around because it affects what you're trying to work on? Eeek. What a pain.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    It looks like Ely's talking about the Lightbox view, right? When I go to Lightbox view, I no longer see the "Check out the New SmugMug" button. My site-wide theme is "Gradient Grey". (null on homepage) However, that button is still highly annoying, and in some galleries a real PITA because it makes me have to scroll down just to see my captions! That's not normal for me, and really, they need to get rid of that button and at the very least, just let it show up one time on the homepage or something. I sure don't need it in every gallery! The thing is, "check out" the new Smug... I don't even know what that means; it could mean "Migrate", which some are not prepared to do right now. If it's not clear what it means, how many people are really gonna click it anyway?
    Just use simple CSS to hide the button. Boom-done and no need to be bothered by it any more. You have the power, and control.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013

My advice is to migrate - your site would take about 15 minutes to do in New SmugMug. And it would look so much better.