Options

[Fixed] "Sharpening" tab appears in Create Gallery but not in Edit Gallery

beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited October 15, 2013 in Bug Reporting
When I create a gallery in Organizer I see a tab for Sharpening:

sharpyes-O.jpg

If I go ahead and create and then go in to edit the gallery settings, the Sharpening tab is no longer there:

sharpno-O.jpg

I have a "Power" account, and I'm led to believe that although Sharpening was available at Power level in Legacy (link), it's not now available at Power level in New SM. Perhaps we could have some clarification regarding this matter? There's no mention of Sharpening on the Features page and there's no clear indication on the Help Portal Gallery Setup page as to which account levels do or don't include access to the Sharpening settings.

Here's a related thread.

Either way, there's still a bug in the UI - the Sharpening tab should appear on both the Setup and Edit pages, or on neither, but definitely not on one but not the other - that's just confusing.

TIA
Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    Thanks for the post! Yes, this is a known bug. Power accounts should have the sharpening capability but they currently do not.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Power accounts should have the sharpening capability but they currently do not.
    Thanks for the reply, Zac. FWIW, a few weeks ago I discussed this matter with M. Bonocore and he said that sharpening capability was only for the upper-level accounts and not for Power. Maybe the hymn-sheet has changed since then?

So... 2 questions...

What is the situation right now regarding sharpening and Power accounts, i.e. do I assume that default sharpening is already being applied by SM to non-Original sizes?

Assuming that Power accounts will, eventually, have access to the sharpening controls, will it be possible to turn off all sharpening for selected galleries? I have a fair number of astro galleries where I don't want any sharpening applied because I've gone to great lengths to get things looking right in post-processing using various methods such as wavelets, Richardson-Lucy algorithm, Weiner filtering, Van Cittert filtering, Maximum Entropy deconvolution etc. etc.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    Bonocore may know more than I do on the subject. I was told that it is a bug. I suppose the bug could go one of two ways; the bug could be that the Power account does not have sharpening but it should, or the bug could be that we are displaying the sharpening on Power accounts in the Organizer but it shouldn't be there.

Since you talked to Bonocore about this a few weeks ago I think you have your answer, but let's wait for him to chime in.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    I suppose the bug could go one of two ways; the bug could be that the Power account does not have sharpening but it should, or the bug could be that we are displaying the sharpening on Power accounts in the Organizer but it shouldn't be there.
    Indeed it could go either way. I'd have thought that what was intended should be somewhere in the Plan/Spec that New SM was supposed to fulfil. Wouldn't such a Plan/Spec be in the hands of the Devs rather than the Heroes?
    Since you talked to Bonocore about this a few weeks ago I think you have your answer, but let's wait for him to chime in.
    I'd be much obliged if you could point him in the direction of this thread, please.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Hmmmm, now i am second guessing my info. Let me look into this more. There is def an issue here, but yes, it's a matter of which one of the two is the issue. Stand by.
  • Options
    Thanks for giving this matter your attention, MB. For me it's a low priority so don't bust a gut over it. SM sharpening isn't an issue for my non-astro pics, and if needs be I always have the option of moving my astro pics to a dedicated hosting service such as Astrobin thumb.gif
  • Options
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Thanks for giving this matter your attention, MB. For me it's a low priority so don't bust a gut over it. SM sharpening isn't an issue for my non-astro pics, and if needs be I always have the option of moving my astro pics to a dedicated hosting service such as Astrobin thumb.gif

Yes, I was incorrect. Power accounts DO should have the sharpening option in the gallery settings (basic accounts do not)

I will add this to the Active Bug list now.

Sorry guys!
  • Options
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Yes, I was incorrect. Power accounts DO should have the sharpening option in the gallery settings (basic accounts do not)

I will add this to the Active Bug list now.

Sorry guys!

Thanks for that thumb.gif
  • Options
    cecirdrcecirdr Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2013
    Thanks for posting this. I'm a new smugmug-er with a power account. I went to edit this setting today, but couldn't find it anywhere. I thought I was losing my mind or would have to upgrade. Whew! I sure hope they fix it soon.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2013
    Looks like the sharpening tab for existing SM galleries at Power level is now available, I've no idea when it went live as nobody told us about it :bash

It's not quite right yet though - the Gallery Settings box is missing a little something:

nosigma-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2013
    This went live this morning bearded. I was in meetings all day.

What browser, OS are you on? You may need to send me your log in info so I can look in your account.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    This went live this morning bearded. I was in meetings all day.

What browser, OS are you on? You may need to send me your log in info so I can look in your account.

I'm on XP SP3 and Firefox 24. The missing thing is only the word "Sigma", do you still need my log-in to troubleshoot that?

I've not tested the sharpening function yet, I'll give it a shakedown tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it fares.

Thanks for pushing through this bug-fix thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    ...The missing thing is only the word "Sigma"...

Michael, I've found out what causes this. I'm using the following popular code snippet to hack the Contact Form question, the second part makes the "Sigma" hidden. Looks like I'll have to dump or edit the CSS.
    /* In the Contact Form, hide the pre-set "The Question" text and replace with your own wording */
    .sm-contact-pro-form:before {
      content: "Tell me all about it";
      position: absolute;
      top: 215px;
      left: 200px
    }
    .sm-form-contents .sm-form-field-overhead:nth-child(4) label {
      visibility: hidden
    }

Thanks for your concern regarding this matter thumb.gif