Attachment file size

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
edited October 31, 2013 in Dgrin Forum Support
What gives? Trying to upload attachment.

The Dimension limits for this filetype are 800 x 1200. We were unable to resize
your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again.
Your file is currently 1190 x 66.

Edit: resized to 800 wide, guess it has to fit the Dgrin post window.
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 15, 2013
    That's right. Attachment sizes are limited to 800px on the longest side. Embeds can be much much larger.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    That's right. Attachment sizes are limited to 800px on the longest side. Embeds can be much much larger.
    Looks like if you stated that it's W x H and the width is limited to 800 because of the Dgrin window
    width. Duh, I did not realize that for quite a while. Just looking at the biggest number.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 15, 2013
    Also, attachments are compressed resulting in limited quality. If possible, always opt for hosted image/video and use the embedding option. Larger than window sized embedded images will be shrunken down but will display the full size clickable link at the bottom of each picture, which will open the image up to the fully linked size at one's host. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on the viewer's display and connection speed.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Also, attachments are compressed resulting in limited quality. If possible, always opt for hosted image/video and use the embedding option. Larger than window sized embedded images will be shrunken down but will display the full size clickable link at the bottom of each picture, which will open the image up to the fully linked size at one's host. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on the viewer's display and connection speed.
    These are just quick screen shots. I do use embed for photos.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 21, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Looks like if you stated that it's W x H and the width is limited to 800 because of the Dgrin window
    width. Duh, I did not realize that for quite a while. Just looking at the biggest number.

Attachment sizes are given in size, width and height in the attachment window. Most image sizes are restricted to 146.5KB and 800 pixels wide x 1200 pixels in height. 800 is chosen because it's a size that will display on almost all devices (an not leave someone scrolling to try and see the content).

20110530-cy7psd98u5aybk8r7a6fpain4j.png
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    Yeah, I was just about to post something like this - Me Too!!
    The idea that 800 wide is "normal" and doesn't require scrolling is about 5-10 years out of date, between smaller mobile devices and most people having 1200-3000 wide screens. but perhaps more silly, its PORTRAIT orientation. Why in the world, when most people want to put up screen shots?

If you want to require 800x1200, how about 800x1200 as the shortest and longest dimension NOT specifically in portrait mode?

I have literally hit this limit 3 times in the last week trying to post things, every one was a portion of a screen shot. Sometimes I drop back and upload on smugmug, but by the time I upload, wait for processing (headscratch.gif), and then link, my ADD kicks in and I can't remember what I was posting.

Come on guys, join the 21st century. If someone DOES have an 800 wide monitor and someone else posts 1200 bits -- let them scroll.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 24, 2013
    We really appreciate your input but not everyone views dgrin on a large or even higher definition display. That's why we do things like limit attachment size and fit posted images to the screen you are using. So that everyone has a good experience.

But as you've indicated, you can still upload and share from most any photo sharing site.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2013
    800 x1200 sizing restriction??
    I am attempting to upload an image under the landscape thread and I am only able to upload an image sized as 800Wx 1200H.

How do I adjust this restriction to say 1200W x 800H, or some other combination, keeping within the 146.5KB size limitation?

The image I wish to upload will not look appropriate if forced into a size of 800x1200.

Alas, why is there not an option to provide an alternative rotation or sizing for images one desires to upload?

Thanks for your assistance.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 29, 2013
    Are you asking about uploading an image to dgrin?

Attachment sizes are limited but photo sizes are not if you upload the photo to a site like smugmug and reference it from there.

See How to Embed an Image in Your Post in the Dgrin FAQ.

If you are asking about uploading to a smug site, my apologies for confusing the matter; please let us know where you are having this problem.

--- Denise
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    Attachment sizes
    Thanks Denise...

You (along with the thread you provided) answered my question.

I appreciate it!!

THANKS!!!
    Are you asking about uploading an image to dgrin?

Attachment sizes are limited but photo sizes are not if you upload the photo to a site like smugmug and reference it from there.

See How to Embed an Image in Your Post in the Dgrin FAQ.

If you are asking about uploading to a smug site, my apologies for confusing the matter; please let us know where you are having this problem.

--- Denise