Options

Back to Sexy BUT with a Purpose

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited November 18, 2013 in People
So one of the few things I was able to try at the group shoot last weekend was to see if I could get really dramatic lighting with just ambient, natural light. The expeiment was NO flash, NO reflectors, just large windows and a gorgeous Polish model, Wyoletta.

I'm not sure myself whether I like them but I'm posting here for opinions yay or nay.

p454240496-4.jpg

p219533440-4.jpg

p493924245-4.jpg

p1723629-4.jpg

p391698797-4.jpg

6. and one from the studio lighting in a cyclorama, just for comparison
p127332694-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    Some great stuff here. However the weird blotch on her eye in 2 and 4 wreck them for me. Good thing you have 3 and 5 to make up for it!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    "dramatic" lighting? I'm not sure that's what that kind of ambient does best. "Interesting" lighting, certainly, but not dramatic as such, since it's effectively soft and diffuse unless you stand DIRECTLY in it.... which then makes it harsh.

Which is kind of what's happened here. Number 1 is the most successful IMO, but even there the brightest spot is on her hand, which I'd submit probably isn't the asset you were trying to highlight :D

That is an absolutely AMAAAAAZZZZINNNGGG space. I'd have slapped on a long lens wide open, and set her up so I had the line of shadows/light behind her, using the lens lentgth to compress it and make a leading line right to her. DAMN that's a gorgeous space. So jealous lol

Btw, I keep thinking of shots that Zoomer posted - it was lingerie in an abandoned building, iirc, but the light was scrumptious and I seem to remember that every male that commented was smitten by the model as well as the photo :) You might want to go back and find them, or shoot him a PM and ask if he'll link you so you can have a look.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    PS On a scale of 1-10 awful shoes, those are a 12. Please, will somebody try to explain why models wear these?!?!?!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    Thanks JMP, maybe I'll go back and get those blotches.

Diva - Dramatic/Interesting, Tomato/Tomahhto but I'll go with you on that since I really didn't get the "drama" I can get with sidelight in the studio. Still, in the context of a group shoot it was at least fun to try something different to keep myself at all interested.

Believe it or not, with any model in any situation, the "asset" I try to highlight is always her face. As old as I am, it is always a models' face, hair, eyes and expression that fascinate me which is why I always have headshots at the end of any set I post. Yes, I'm a guy and I like the sexy parts as well as anyone but, after spending my younger years as a ballplayer and musician, I've been there and done that so I don't find those parts as unique or interesting as gorgeous faces.mwink.gif

I take neither credit nor blame for shoes. Honestly, I don't usually even notice them. I'm not a stylist in any sense. I don't have a pink shirt either.rolleyes1.gif
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    Btw, I keep thinking of shots that Zoomer posted - it was lingerie in an abandoned building, iirc, but the light was scrumptious and I seem to remember that every male that commented was smitten by the model as well as the photo :) You might want to go back and find them, or shoot him a PM and ask if he'll link you so you can have a look.

Zoomer, if you show up here, I'm interested.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2013
    Really like 1. Not sure which shot diva is referencing...my boudoir and my regular website are linked in my signature if u want to look around. Agree with Diva this is an amazing location.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2013
    I'm with Diva about the lighting. I wouldn't classify it as dramatic light but interesting light. 1 is the best as her face is half and half in the shade. The others do not flatter her face as they create shadows that make her appear older like the area under her eye is more pronounced.

In 6 there's weird lighting going on that creates a lighter pattern that starts at her nose and spreads to the side of each mouth. Then theres a shadow streak starting at her right eyebrow and almost looks like her eyebrow wraps around underneath her eye.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    PS On a scale of 1-10 awful shoes, those are a 12. Please, will somebody try to explain why models wear these?!?!?!

They match her pimp's outfit? mwink.gif
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    Being the Anthony that I am, (Wiener that is) ....

I think the model is sexy, some of the clothes are sexy, but I don't find the images sexy. There's something missing.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2013
    IMO, the model is sexy on her own, but the setting isn't. The two don't naturally go together. If she were in a bedroom these poses would work. Or if she were connecting with this setting somehow the photos might be sexy, but she isn't. I'm just kind of like, what is she doing there?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2013
    Gottcha JM. You mean like this??

p521627513-4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2013
    That's mostly better for me, maybe I am simple or immature. That said, her face isn't selling it. She looks bored or disengaged, almost like you grabbed the shot when she wasn't totally posing.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited November 18, 2013
    There's just no pleasing some people.rolleyes1.gif