Options

Bearded Tit

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 22, 2013 in Wildlife
The weather conditions on Monday morning were perfect for the Bearded Tit or Bearded Reedling as it is known. There are only 30 pairs in the UK and can only be seen in the tall reeds at a location in North Lancashire. They feed on the reed seeds and they need the grit to digest their food.
I waited over a couple of hours along with at least 50 other photographers, when suddenly this cock bird appeared on one of the grit trays. C & C always appreciated.
Bob
RF1A0016-X3.jpg
RF1A0050-X3.jpg
RF1A0151-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November 16, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    The weather conditions on Monday morning were perfect for the Bearded Tit or Bearded Reedling as it is known. There are only 30 pairs in the UK and can only be seen in the tall reeds at a location in North Lancashire. They feed on the reed seeds and they need the grit to digest their food.
    I waited over a couple of hours along with at least 50 other photographers, when suddenly this cock bird appeared on one of the grit trays. C & C always appreciated.
    Bob
    RF1A0016-X3.jpg
    RF1A0050-X3.jpg
    RF1A0151-X3.jpg

Do you have these wee beauties over the Pond?
    Bob
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    Bob, we probably do somewhere, but speaking from the swamps of Louisiana, I haven't seen any lately. Congratulations on capturing a rare and apparently banded bird. I like the first photos, and I think it would have been improved if you could have shot from a little lower angle and gotten the far side of the grit tray to look parallel to the top and bottom of the frame. And the background of those light reeds competes a bit with the image of the bird. But given that it is a rare bird that swooped in, and that you had to elbow 50 other photographers out of the way to get the shots, I'd say you did darn well!

Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Bob, we probably do somewhere, but speaking from the swamps of Louisiana, I haven't seen any lately. Congratulations on capturing a rare and apparently banded bird. I like the first photos, and I think it would have been improved if you could have shot from a little lower angle and gotten the far side of the grit tray to look parallel to the top and bottom of the frame. And the background of those light reeds competes a bit with the image of the bird. But given that it is a rare bird that swooped in, and that you had to elbow 50 other photographers out of the way to get the shots, I'd say you did darn well!

Best, Pam

Thanks Pam for looking and replying. When I first saw these shots I was somewhat disappointed. I was unable to manoeuvre my camera as everyone was wanting in on the game. I suppose I am quite happy with what I achieved.
    Bob
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    Thanks Pam for looking and replying. When I first saw these shots I was somewhat disappointed. I was unable to manoeuvre my camera as everyone was wanting in on the game. I suppose I am quite happy with what I achieved.
    Bob

I agree! All we can do is make the best of the opportunities presented to us. And to capture this bird is quite something. Best, Pam
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    ... // ... When I first saw these shots I was somewhat disappointed. I was unable to manoeuvre my camera as everyone was wanting in on the game. I suppose I am quite happy with what I achieved.
    Bob

Considering the circumstances it was probably an achievement to get any sort of shot, especially with those numbers of other snappers around ... and probably younger / fitter + sharper elbows into the bargain :)

My std response to people that ask me if there's anything 'rare / unusual' around (at my usual venue) is to say that I'm not a bird watcher / twitcher and wouldn't know such a specimen if it landed next to me (I'd know it was different, but that's another story : )

I then tell 'em I'd much rather take (what I'd consider to be) a decent pic of something common (especially if IT was doing something interesting) than a less than satisfactory pic of something rare / unusual.

Highly unlikely I'd have travelled to see this'un in the first place - especially if I'd known the circumstances ... if I had gone, just for the day out, I'd probably ended up taking pics of the other 'togs instead :)

pp
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    Considering the circumstances it was probably an achievement to get any sort of shot, especially with those numbers of other snappers around ... and probably younger / fitter + sharper elbows into the bargain :)

My std response to people that ask me if there's anything 'rare / unusual' around (at my usual venue) is to say that I'm not a bird watcher / twitcher and wouldn't know such a specimen if it landed next to me (I'd know it was different, but that's another story : )

I then tell 'em I'd much rather take (what I'd consider to be) a decent pic of something common (especially if IT was doing something interesting) than a less than satisfactory pic of something rare / unusual.

Highly unlikely I'd have travelled to see this'un in the first place - especially if I'd known the circumstances ... if I had gone, just for the day out, I'd probably ended up taking pics of the other 'togs instead :)

pp

You are quite right Paul I would say that threequarters of them were younger than me. I was told that the reason for such a large number of people present was because this species appeared on TV Autumn Watch and the conditions on this particular morning were perfect for them to appear. Having said that there was only the one pair that appeared.
    Bob
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    ...I was told that the reason for such a large number of people present was because this species appeared on TV Autumn Watch ...

Certainly lets me off the hook then, Bob - we don't have a telly :)

pp
  • Options
    kobistarkobistar Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    nice
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2013
    kobistar wrote: »
    nice

I like it Paul. I've just renewed the licence £145 not worth it. Grrrr.

Bob