Options

Help with custom domain

chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
edited December 3, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Help please.
I am trying to get my domain to point to my Smugmug site.

I went to my dns settings. There are three A records, labelled www, mydomain, and ftp. There is no cname so I created a cname record pointing to domains.smugmug.com and labelled it www.mydomain. I changed the mydomain A record to point to the smugmug ip 208.79.45.23. I changed the www A record too to contain the smugmug ip..

Then on Smugmug I updated my account to point to www.mydomain and saved it. Before saving Smugmug seems to check with my provider that the links are correct there - but I am not sure.

Trouble is nothing has changed. When I type my url in I get my old site showing even though I changed the ip to smugmug. I have the feeling I did something stupid along the way and none the wiser for reading the help and other posts here.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 29, 2013
    Chris,

Delete the www A record.

Make sure that the CNAME record is www CNAME domains.smugmug.com Do not use www.mydomain unless your domain host specifically requires it. That is rare so try just the www first and see if it works.

Once you make the changes, wait. It can take a couple hours for the DNS to update. Our system will not let you enter the domain in the account settings until it can see it in the DNS.

If you still have trouble, email us on the help desk. We can take a look and even set it up for you if you end along the domain host login info.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2013
    docwalker wrote: »
    Chris,

Delete the www A record.

Make sure that the CNAME record is www CNAME domains.smugmug.com Do not use www.mydomain unless your domain host specifically requires it. That is rare so try just the www first and see if it works.

Once you make the changes, wait. It can take a couple hours for the DNS to update. Our system will not let you enter the domain in the account settings until it can see it in the DNS.

If you still have trouble, email us on the help desk. We can take a look and even set it up for you if you end along the domain host login info.

Thanks. I deleted the www A record. I then changed the CNAME line to be just www as label, type CNAME, and content domains.smugmug.com.

The smugmug account settings seems happy still, so I guess I now wait a while. (My old site is still showing up when I put in the url)
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    Yes, changes can take 24 to 48 hours to fully propagate.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Thanks rainforest1155. Almost 24 hours now and no visible change. Fairly sure I did something wrong - if anybody out there used Widexs and has done this before then I'm open for your help.

When I get more time I'll take a screen shot of the Widexs dns settings and mail to the help desk at Smugmug.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    A quick thanks to the heroes for resetting my profile link. www.chrisjohnson.nl seems to be working fine now and going direct to my Smugmug account with all my photos. I look forward to developing Smugmug as a more allround CMS.

Thanks again for the super support.