Options

The Most Successful Racing Cobra Ever

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited December 7, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Raced by Dick Smith, this 1965 427 Cobra won more races than any other Cobra. It also recorded the highest top speed of its kind at 198 mph. Needless to say, it occupies hallowed ground in the world of storied Cobras.

It was brought to the Amelia Island show by Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars fame. Wayne brought the car to the show in order to get an idea of its market value for the owner. Several solid buyers showed an interest and, after taking the car back home following the Amelia show, Wayne was able to put together a sale for the car at nearly $2,000,000.

I had a chance to buy a new 1966 427 Cobra off the showroom floor of a Ford dealership that belonged to a friend.....for around $8,000. WHO KNEW?

Amelia%202013%20021-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20030-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    Tom,

You finally posted a car that I've always had a fancy for. They aren't the best looking car ever, nor the most elegant of design, but it simply makes me think that it's a saddle strapped onto a BUNCH of horses just waiting to try and buck you off! thumb.gif

Thanks for posting

PS: I'll bet that's $8,000.00 that you wish you hadn't pinched so tightly rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    Cool shots as is your custom - I always enjoy your glimpses into the items, history, and rarefied-air of fine auto collecting Tom.
    8K in '66 was still a lot of coin... I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around numbers like 2Mega for a car!
    Happy Holidays Sir!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    That's an awesome car. Can you imagine the wind at 198 mph?
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Tom,

You finally posted a car that I've always had a fancy for. They aren't the best looking car ever, nor the most elegant of design, but it simply makes me think that it's a saddle strapped onto a BUNCH of horses just waiting to try and buck you off! thumb.gif

Thanks for posting

PS: I'll bet that's $8,000.00 that you wish you hadn't pinched so tightly rolleyes1.gif

I'm with you, pard. I've lusted after these Cobras since the first day I saw them. The one my friend kept trying to push off on me had actually been sitting on his showroom floor for quite some time....he couldn't get a bite on the thing. I actually took it out for about a 20 minute spin. The performance was, of course, off the charts. But so was the noise and the extremely rough ride. As a daily driver ( which it was never intended to be ) it was a flop. So what did I do? I bought a 1967 Corvette 427 ( 435 HP advertised, probably a lot more in truth ). As a daily driver, it too was a flop...I kept it for only about a year. From that point on, whenever I had a car like those two, you can bet that they were not my only ride.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Cool shots as is your custom - I always enjoy your glimpses into the items, history, and rarefied-air of fine auto collecting Tom.
    8K in '66 was still a lot of coin... I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around numbers like 2Mega for a car!
    Happy Holidays Sir!

Happy Holidays to you too, my friend.

I suspect that the buyer of this car will, at some point in time, race it in vintage events.....sort of gentlemen racing. Still, exposing something of that value to harm would give me the willies. But then, if you've got the bucks........

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    That's an awesome car. Can you imagine the wind at 198 mph?

I once hit 145 mph on one of my motorcycles. I could have gone faster but my balls decided to vacate the scene about then so I abruptly backed off. The fastest I've been in a car was 165 mph when a friend took me around the Daytona track in a Buick he was racing in one of the junior circuits. Once a year, the track allowed these " friendship " rides to occur. When my friend inquired the following year if I'd like to go out again, I quickly passed. I have trouble imagining what taking this Cobra up to 198 mph was really like.

I wish you the best, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 1, 2013
    Last year's Pebble Beach show had several early serial number Cobra cars. I love seeing them cruising the roads too.

$2M is a big jump from $8K. Hell of a return on your investment clap.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Last year's Pebble Beach show had several early serial number Cobra cars. I love seeing them cruising the roads too.

$2M is a big jump from $8K. Hell of a return on your investment clap.gif

I always appreciate it when you look in, Ian.

In retrospect, I should have gobbled up that Cobra when I had the chance. But then, as I noted, it really wasn't suited to everyday use and, at that time, I wasn't prepared to have an $8K toy. I drove the '64 Pontiac GTO for another year until buying the '67 big-block 'Vette. In reality, that 'Vette was as ill-suited as the Cobra for daily use....I got rid of it after about 14 months. Needless to say, I'd give anything to have that one back.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2013
    I once hit 145 mph on one of my motorcycles. I could have gone faster but my balls decided to vacate the scene about then so I abruptly backed off. The fastest I've been in a car was 165 mph when a friend took me around the Daytona track in a Buick he was racing in one of the junior circuits. Once a year, the track allowed these " friendship " rides to occur. When my friend inquired the following year if I'd like to go out again, I quickly passed. I have trouble imagining what taking this Cobra up to 198 mph was really like.

I wish you the best, buddy,

Tom

Wow I am impressed, I can't imagine 145 mph on a bike!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 2, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Wow I am impressed, I can't imagine 145 mph on a bike!

The difference between 100mph and 145mph isn't all that much. If you hit something, it's over. It's thrilling for sure but I agree about the shrinkage factor lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    Lovely images; awesome car! thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    I saw that car on the TV show you mentioned. Every time I see a car show on TV I keep waiting for them to show a great image of it. They never do.

They move too fast!

Thanks for taking the great shot and posting it.

Perhaps those TV shows could learn a lesson and hire you to capture the cars and show them on TV as a still image for 30 seconds or so.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Lovely images; awesome car! thumb.gifthumb

It's great to hear from your quarters, Ziggy. I appreciate the kind words. It truly is an awesome car.
    I've been around a few Cobras when they were fired up but this one seemed to have an extra bit of " bite " to its sound when taken on its parade lap.....with ole Wayne Carini grinning from ear to ear as he drove past the podium.

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    I saw that car on the TV show you mentioned. Every time I see a car show on TV I keep waiting for them to show a great image of it. They never do.

They move too fast!

Thanks for taking the great shot and posting it.

Perhaps those TV shows could learn a lesson and hire you to capture the cars and show them on TV as a still image for 30 seconds or so.

Phil

Thanks for looking in, Phil.

Several years ago, I was approached by an industry rag ( magazine ) to see if I had an interest in covering the Amelia show for them. I was more than a little surprised at the proposition as there is no shortage of professional shooters who show up at these things....some freelance guys and a ton of guys representing various publications. The closer I looked at the deal, the more obvious it became that it would be a job....I turned them down. I go to these affairs for fun. I don't want to answer to anyone or to operate on their timeframe. I'm very pleased that you like my pictures and that's all the reward I'm after. Thanks again for your support.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    Well done, Tom! Beautiful car, and gorgeous photos. Although when I saw the thread title about "racing cobra", I thought I had wandered into the wildlife forum...
    :D
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    Well done, Tom! Beautiful car, and gorgeous photos. Although when I saw the thread title about "racing cobra", I thought I had wandered into the wildlife forum...
    :D

I'm not sure, John, about the wildlife forum stuff, but you might want to give the neighborhood bar a wider berth next time around. :D

Good to hear from you,

Tom