Options

OOYCZ #2 - Fog

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited January 19, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took these three in Ventura this afternoon. They didn't seem to reduce really well here on Dgrin. Click on the photos to see a larger version in my SmugMug gallery.

Each one uses a slightly different processing style. The second and third ones have just the slightest hint of color (some green moss in the foreground rocks).

20140111_Ventura%20013-28-Edit-2-L.jpg

20140111_Ventura%20013-41-Edit-2-L.jpg

20140111_Ventura%20013-32-Edit-2-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2014
    Both #1 and #2 tell a story to me. What that is I suppose depends on the viewer. Stone texture against the flat fog enhances the images. Composition in #1 is perfect to me. For #2 I would like to see a little less stone and crop in tighter to the surfer going out to sea. # 3 is not as intriguing because the people are so distant and almost blurred out.

#1 is my favorite.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    And I like #3 best, because of the blurred out people--it really says fog to me.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 14, 2014
    The minimalist of #1 is interesting to me. I wondered though if a wider angle would have made it even better. #2 is an interesting angle, but to me the rocks are more prominent then the weather or fog is. I am looking at the rocks more in 3 too, although it shows more of the fog and weather to me than #2 does. I am thinking that out of these three, #1 shows weather the best. It shows how socked in it is and the starkness of the day with the lone surfer. Although, if you have a wider shot of this, it might be worth your while to post it so we can take a look!
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited January 15, 2014
    I like all three of these, but #1 is my favorite for the weather theme. I do like the POV of #3 though and its composition. Very nice!
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    Fog is really hard for me to do, so I'm thinking it is also hard for other people (?). All of these pictures do a good job of showing fog.

Anyway I like #1 best but I would rather it be cropped horizontal because I don't think all the sky at the top really adds much. Having the rocks in the foreground be in focus in #2 and #3 shows that it isn't just an out of focus photo, but I think they are a little too prominent in #3.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    PhotoaddictPhotoaddict Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    I think that #2 hold the most appeal for me, but #1 is a great shot for the theme. #2 I like the degrees of haziness starting off with the sharp in focus rocks in the foreground and gaining a minimalist feel towards the horizon. I just keep going back to that one, a good thing to me, it draws my interest. A great set all around.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2014
    THanks for the comments. Seems #1 is the favorite, but (@JAG) I don't have a wider view. You're seeing the full frame.

Before my final choice... here's a reworking of #3.

20140111_Ventura%20013-32-Edit-2-Edit-2-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug