Options

Difference in Light

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited January 17, 2014 in Wildlife
Stopped by the Consumnes River Preserve in the morning and then again a noon the same Cinnamon Teal ducks were in the same spot. The old saying it is all about the light. These are unedited converted JPGs

8:53 am
DSC_2946-XL.jpg

11:49 am
DSC_3207-XL.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Hi Chris, both shots look nice but I would take 8:53am! Teal ducks are gorgeous and unique! Never seen them before, not here anyways. Is Consumes river preserve worth drive up? Lots of wild life? Thanks
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    ...The old saying it is all about the light ...

Too true - although it won't really help if the rest of the pic is carp ... and then there're different scenarios from those shown here ... eg days with snow / rain / mist etc.

I finally started getting up early enough to use morning light last Nov ... yes, fully aware of what I'd been missing, but as a 'night person' the knowledge / reality divide was fairly wide :)

pp
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    The shots are crap, but I thought it interesting study between the the same spot on the same day the difference in the color rendition of the sensor by the change of light from the angle of the sun. I like shooting on overcast and cloudy days too you get a whole different effect.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    The shots are crap, ...

My similarly worded comment was a general observation - not specific to, or a comment on - your pics. Imo the web is awash with sunset / sunrise / golden hour etc pics that seem to be relying on the light quality alone for 'impact' and (often) ignoring other aspects.
    but I thought it interesting study between the the same spot on the same day the difference in the color rendition of the sensor by the change of light from the angle of the sun....

Yes, they illustrated this very well. I also find it interesting to compare consecutive shots taken tracking subjects as they pass in front of differently lit - but similar - bgs. Seeing the thumbnails appear on screen (after such shoots) is indeed 'interesting'.
    ... I like shooting on overcast and cloudy days too you get a whole different effect.

Me too ...probably more so in some ways ... maybe because of the way the yellow orb likes to stay hidden in the UK, so I / we have to try to make the most of such times.

Apart from anything else, there're generally fewer people around on such days -especially when it's raining / snowing / stormy etc ... which is an advantage re my local venue :)

pp