Okay, I Give Up...

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited January 22, 2014 in Finishing School
This has happened to me before, and I figured it out, but no luck today.

I have 6x2.5" photo that I'm trying to paste onto a 12x16" document. Both items are sized at 240 but when I paste the photo, it overflows the document.

I've done this many times, successfully, and have no idea why it doesn't work sometimes. I'm sure it's one simple little thing but I can't figure it out.

Please help. Thank you.

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    Are the pixel dimensions of the 2 items what you'd expect them to be?
    What are they?

pp
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited January 21, 2014
    I moved this to the "Finishing School" forum, since it appears to be a software use question.

Assuming Photoshop, I believe that you wish to "Scale" the image from one size to another size. Most printer software handles this nicely, but scaling from a smaller size to a larger size may reduce visual acuity, depending on the amount of the scale.

Using Photoshop, if the original and the intended sizes are the same aspect ratio and orientation, then just use:

Image - Image Size

... then choose the Document Size to match your output needs. (You should only need to choose a single new dimension, again, assuming the same aspect ratio.)

Different aspect ratios for the input and output sizes may require cropping or framing the image prior to the scaling operation. The "Crop Tool" can help automate both cropping and scaling.

http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/photoshop/tool/crop.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 21, 2014
    What application is the 12 x 16 inch document in, Sara?

The image is 6x2.5 inches in what application as well?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    ...I believe that you wish to "Scale" the image from one size to another size. ...

Interesting that we interpreted the problem differently :)

I assumed that the OP just wanted to paste the smaller image into the document so that the image takes up 15 / 192 ( 2.5x6/ 12x16) of the document area ... ie no scaling / re-sizing ...

pp
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    I already fixed it. :D

Sam
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    Duh!
    My issue was completely straightforward: pasting an image onto a canvas. No matter how long or how many times I looked at the parameters and retried pasting, I was unable, without the help of my friend Sam Linville, to see that the resolution for the image was set at pixels per cm rather than pixels per inch. I knew it was one simple thing I was doing wrong but couldn't see the forest for the trees. Sometimes it does take two sets of eyes to see these things. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thanks, Sam - and everybody.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    I already fixed it. :D

Sam

He said, modestly. :D
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2014
    sara505 wrote: »
    He said, modestly. :D

OK, let me re-post:

Y'all can stop trying to figure out the problem..................an application of magic pixie dust has solved the problem, and I have no idea where it came from. :D

Sam
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited January 22, 2014
    Thanks, Sam. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums