Options

Tools in Organizer...b0rked?

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    There is no bulk way to fix a typing error in a caption or keyword without search and replace. I tried the
    new tool by deleting one keyword and was going to add back the correct version but the whole keyword
    list on every photo was deleted.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247282 post #4

There were 36 photos in the smart gallery and it deleted every keyword including the target KW.
    These were across six galleries so finding and fixing all was quite tedious. Not to mention figuring out
    what was missing besides the target KW.

I am trying to examine the behavior you describe but haven't been able to get past a bigger problem:
    - I select all the images in the organizer (in the gallery)
    - Click to edit keywords
    - Click to deselect all, so that I can re-select only a few
    - Result of "deselect all" is that I'm bounced out of the keyword section, so then I click keywords again from the list of options on the right.
    - Result is a blank screen on the right side - no keyword anything.

ADDING:
    I have to leave the organizer and start over. I've tried this 3 times and get the same results.
    In Firefox 29.0.1.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I am trying to examine the behavior you describe but haven't been able to get past a bigger problem:
    - I select all the images in the organizer (in the gallery)
    - Click to edit keywords
    - Click to deselect all, so that I can re-select only a few
    - Result of "deselect all" is that I'm bounced out of the keyword section, so then I click keywords again from the list of options on the right.
    - Result is a blank screen on the right side - no keyword anything.

ADDING:
    I have to leave the organizer and start over. I've tried this 3 times and get the same results.
    In Firefox 29.0.1.
    Yal, I'm getting that blank screen also. I tried changing one KW from all photos, remove old, add new.
    But when I removed old it removes all the KW's from each affected photo.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Simple browser search can highlight and jump to every search term. No need to scroll.

The situation I find myself in more often is that I don't know the keywords. Did I have "dominance" "or dominate", or - what were they again?

More discussion is taking place on this thread regarding this issue: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240752&page=3
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Yal, I'm getting that blank screen also. I tried changing one KW from all photos, remove old, add new.
    But when I removed old it removes all the KW's from each affected photo.

I am not going to try to edit the keywords in the new Smugmug, both because there are bugs currently, and, I can't tell if I will mess up something completely. It's not intuitive to understand what you are doing to the images by editing those separate fields.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    The situation I find myself in more often is that I don't know the keywords. Did I have "dominance" "or dominate", or - what were they again?

More discussion is taking place on this thread regarding this issue: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240752&page=3
    I check my /keyword page every so often and usually find some messed up. At the moment it's very
    difficult fixing them. New tool is useless with this. I'm now having to click the bad KW and fix each photo
    individually.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    I check my /keyword page every so often and usually find some messed up. At the moment it's very
    difficult fixing them. New tool is useless with this. I'm now having to click the bad KW and fix each photo
    individually.

Allen - I'm not understanding - couldn't you use the legacy system via the tool on Chrome? Knowing the volume of images you have, fixing a keyword one at a time is painful on me just to hear that you're doing that.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Installed and looks like legacy caption/KW is working. Thought this worked with domain?
    Did I install the wrong ext. version?
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    Installed and looks like legacy caption/KW is working. Thought this worked with domain?

Version Number 0.4.0.1 is the one that works with custom domains.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014

For me I'm seeing the Legacy keywords area as my domain.
    Since Nicholas added the option to get a permalink via the custom domain, I've been a bit unclear about whether and when the tool switches between domains. If you are seeing the smugmug domain in the URL, try going to a gallery and go to the bulk keyword option, and see if in the Legacy world, you are not back to your own domain.

The "SM" icon is outside the URL field, not inside it (older versions were inside).
    v 0.4.0.1.
    I have had some trouble with updating the version. I believe Nicholas said something about how to do it that wasn't working for me. When I want to update it I first uninstall it in Chrome settings, then re-install fresh from the Chrome store.

Oddly, this link which I just grabbed, tells me the version is 3.5, but since I got the 4.0.1 from this link... maybe the description only has not been updated?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unofficial-smugmug-extens/acobflahofemoblocddilbgnokclnphd
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Got v 0.4.0.1 enabled. Every gallery setting page is messed up. The right content. settings, is below the left menu.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Got v 0.4.0.1 enabled. Every gallery setting page is messed up. The right content. settings, is below the left menu.

You mean this is not what you see? I see this in Chrome and Firefox, all correct, whether I'm in my domain or the SM domain. If you're seeing a problem, are you saying it is related to Nicholas' extension? I can't see how that would be, it's not relevant to gallery settings.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    You mean this is not what you see? I see this in Chrome and Firefox, all correct, whether I'm in my domain or the SM domain. If you're seeing a problem, are you saying it is related to Nicholas' extension? I can't see how that would be, it's not relevant to gallery settings.
    Nope, the whole right side is below the left menu. All menu items show this.
    Firefox ok.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Nope, the whole right side is below the left menu. All menu items show this.
    Firefox ok.

When weird things like this happen to me I update my computer, including java, flash, quicktime... of course the browsers, system software.... clear cookies, reboot. yelrotflmao.gif
  • Options
    James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    I have absolutely NO idea why you would take away the bulk edit. Now I have to click all over the place, making sure I unclick a previous photo, etc. I develop software so I understand the need to improve... BUT THIS IS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT for bulk editing!!

OMG I simply cannot believe you did this.
    I second that! The bulk editor was quite superb. Why can't it be left alongside the new Photo Editor?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    I second that! The bulk editor was quite superb. Why can't it be left alongside the new Photo Editor?

Check this thread for a replacement tool in development, just made available for testing:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1955899#post1955899
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    Check this thread for a replacement tool in development, just made available for testing:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1955899#post1955899
    Thank you. Yes, I had seen that. Nicholas has certainly helped us all with his expertise, but SmugMug really have missed a trick by abandoning the old superb bulk editing tool.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Hi All, check Baldy and I latest updates over on the Product News forum.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247232&page=3
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi All, check Baldy and I latest updates over on the Product News forum.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247232&page=3
    This is most encouraging, thank you very much.
  • Options
    snowyowlsnowyowl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2014
    I decided to change how I title and caption my pictures on Smugmug. It would have been easy using the old tool but has to be done individually with the new set up. I've done about 5000 pictures so far but still have a long way to go. Downloading the Chrome add-on might help, I don't know, but don't plan to do so. I don't like or trust Chrome besides which I pay for Smugmug and expect it to be the complete package that it used to be. I don't expect or want to go to external sources to modify it in order for it to be properly functional.
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2014
    Baldy wrote: »
    W.W., what's changed is we came under a lot of fire for not considering all of our customers, but being driven by subsets.

To correct that, we do outbound calls of random selections of customers. 3 months ago we surveyed 1,700 of our customers extensively with a long, quantitative survey. And over the last few weeks we did a lot of focus groups and one-on-ones of customers who came in here. I sat through many of them and watched tapes of the others. There isn't a day when I don't talk to customers.

And there is a subset of users who didn't like the old bulk editing tool and said "we want to have to click on every single photo in order to edit its captions and keywords?"

The mind recoils.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    Is version 4.x of thenickguy's Chrome tool still up? I keep getting v3.5.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2014

He posted the link to it in the first post in this thread. It's not in the Chrome store.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    He posted the link to it in the first post in this thread. It's not in the Chrome store.
    No he didn't my post was the 1st post... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,241 moderator
    edited June 2, 2014
    there's a link to the new version of the tool in the first post of the thread Bulk-editing tool replacement now available for beta-testing.

--- Denise
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    there's a link to the new version of the tool in the first post of the thread Bulk-editing tool replacement now available for beta-testing.
    Thanks Denise!
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2014
    I'm trying to give this new tool a chance, but I keep running into the bug that doesn't allow me to see the right sidebar, and it's pretty debilitating. Where is the old one at?
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2014
    coldclimb, give my Google Chrome extension a try:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

It recreates the old legacy-SmugMug bulk edit tool with some new features (like the ability to edit titles).
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2014
    coldclimb, give my Google Chrome extension a try:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

It recreates the old legacy-SmugMug bulk edit tool with some new features (like the ability to edit titles).

Thanks, even though I use Firefox as my main browser I guess it's still quite a bit more convenient to open a separate browser when I need to bulk edit.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2014
    I am just going to jump in here to praise Nick's Chrome extension. I have used it fairly extensively in the past couple of weeks and it has worked flawlessly.
    Gary
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2014
    coldclimb wrote: »
    Thanks, even though I use Firefox as my main browser I guess it's still quite a bit more convenient to open a separate browser when I need to bulk edit.

There's at least one firefox extension that puts a little chrome button on the toolbar, quickly opening the current page in chrome. I use firefox but for caption/keyword editing, I go to the gallery in firefox, hit the chrome button, and then hit the SM button for the chrome extension.

The biggest mistake I've made is leaving the chrome extension open after saving captions/keywords, making some additions manually in firefox, and then saving additional changes in the chrome extension. That will overwrite any changes made outside the extension since it was last opened. Now I make sure to close chrome before making any more changes in firefox.

Dave