New Buy Button customizations

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited July 9, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
Hi everyone,

We've been hearing requests to make the Buy button more discoverable, mostly in the Thumbnail, Collage Landscape and Collage Portrait modes. So we added some new customization options to help it stand out:

i-pJFvVkM-M.png

Here's a help page that will guide you on how to find those options within the customizaton menu.

In the background, we've been collecting data on different wording for the buttons, such as Add to Cart, Buy, and Buy Photos. It appears that Buy Photos seems to be the winner for most potential buyers, so we switched the wording to that.

Let us know if you have questions, suggestions.

Thanks!
Baldy

Comments

• photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2014
    Thank you. Perhaps allowing users to pick the wording for the Buy button (as you mentioned: Add to Cart, Buy, Buy Photos) and even using custom text would be a good addition to too?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2014
    Funny you should now just post changing the buy button. I remodeled mine just last week to go with my design.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2014
    photoclick wrote: »
    Thank you. Perhaps allowing users to pick the wording for the Buy button (as you mentioned: Add to Cart, Buy, Buy Photos) and even using custom text would be a good addition to too?

Thanks for the feedback! One problem I could see arising from custom text, or longer strings is that it would quickly take over the photo thumbnail if it was too much...but that is something we will weigh in future updates.
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    ... One problem I could see arising from custom text, or longer strings is that it would quickly take over the photo thumbnail if it was too much...

Not necessarily for L, XL, or X2 sized images. While I don't much care about the buy button, I do like the possibilities big images in Collage Landscape open up. There can be room for longer captions and more story-telling -- or more purchase guidance -- right there on the Collage Landscape page. Do think of these three styles, CL, CP, and Grid/Thumbnail, as more than mere lists of little thumbnails.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited June 28, 2014
    photoclick wrote: »

Yea, might be nice to not have to use my CSS customizations for this :)
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2014
    Jtring wrote: »
    Not necessarily for L, XL, or X2 sized images. While I don't much care about the buy button, I do like the possibilities big images in Collage Landscape open up. There can be room for longer captions and more story-telling -- or more purchase guidance -- right there on the Collage Landscape page. Do think of these three styles, CL, CP, and Grid/Thumbnail, as more than mere lists of little thumbnails.

Yes, true. But this is a more complicated case that requires more detailed development to make sure that string lengths look acceptable on certain sizes. This is just an initial change that we are collecting data and feedback with.
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Yes, true. But this is a more complicated case that requires more detailed development to make sure that string lengths look acceptable on certain sizes. This is just an initial change that we are collecting data and feedback with.

Of course. I'm just interested in making sure SmugMug design thinking includes the use-case of CL, CP, or thumbnail/grid being the primary display for viewing pictures and their back-story. Your earlier post seemed to be aimed at an alternative use-case: smaller CL, CP, or thumbnail/grid images serving as a navigation tool with all the details to be found by clicking through to the lightbox. Both use-cases should be in mind when you (SmugMug) introduce tweaks and improvements.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com